James May and the Strat...

What's Hot
cacophonycacophony Frets: 385
morning all, don`t know if anyone else has seen this. a trailer for an upcoming show where JM re-builds iconic items from the bottom up. on one of the episodes he rebuilds a strat. only snatched a very brief glimpse of the trail as i was otherwise engaged in a relatives house and the sound was off on the tv. i THINK it starts this coming monday but on which channel and at what time i didn`t catch.and i don`t know which episode is the one with the strat.

not a lot of use i know!, but i`m sure it`s something most wouldn`t want to miss as no doubt he`ll do a little `history of` each item as he goes along.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• cacophonycacophony Frets: 385
    would you adam and eve it!. the ad has just been on sky again. the strat episode is on BBC4, 9pm this wednesday!.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Nice one, looking forward to this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Didn't notice the Strat on a previous trailer, wasn't really paying attention, but I like this sort of thing that James does, the digibox is already set to record the series
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11319
    Of course, by the end of the series you will be able to make your own digibox.

Looking forward to this, James May does top-notch bloke telly.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24834
    edited April 2016
    Love James May - I come from a family of engineers - he reminds me a lot of my late brother-in-law who had an innate understanding of how everything worked. Thanks for the heads-up.
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 745
    BBC Four. Wed 21:00

Electric Guitar
    James May: The Reassembler Episode 3 of 3

"James concludes his quest to truly understand everyday objects by putting them back together piece by piece with an electric guitar.

147 pieces must be reassembled carefully and in the correct order, which will entail soldering, extensive use of James's precision Japanese screwdrivers and some fiddly electronics.

The electric guitar transformed the music industry and society itself and, channelling his namesake Brian, James will plug in his reassembled guitar and hope he put all the bits together correctly as he gets ready to perform one of most unexpected guitar solos of all time."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b076wgvx

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • He's got a first class music degree, too, though he's a piano player mainly, so he should be able to get a decent tune out of it when he's done.

Wonder if he'll have a quick blast of Jessica?
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    James May + Strat - something just sounds very dull about the whole thing
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 745

He's got a first class music degree, too, though he's a piano player mainly, so he should be able to get a decent tune out of it when he's done.

A piano player with a first in music, so he'll be a proficient piano player........................
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 411
    I'll be watching.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22995
    GuyBoden said:
    147 pieces must be reassembled carefully and in the correct order, which will entail soldering, extensive use of James's precision Japanese screwdrivers and some fiddly electronics.

On reading that I felt a sudden compulsion to start mentally totting up the number of pieces in a Strat, to see if they had it correct... but I resisted the urge.  Quite proud of myself. 

I hope it'll be on iPlayer, no way I'll remember to watch it live.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Philly_Q;1023949" said:
    GuyBoden said:

On reading that I felt a sudden compulsion to start mentally totting up the number of pieces in a Strat, to see if they had it correct... but I resisted the urge.  Quite proud of myself. 

I hope it'll be on iPlayer, no way I'll remember to watch it live.
    I can't imagine it is 147 pieces unless they count all if the individual parts of the tuners etc...
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 992
    Fiddly electronics? Precison screwdrivers?

No Strat I've ever met there.

Maybe it's a a Firebird X...  Or even an XL5.
  • redrighthandredrighthand Frets: 746
    edited April 2016
    Let's do it - this is from memory (leaving out the decal): 

Body 
    Neck 
    Nut 
    Six strings 
    String tree 
    String tree screw 
    6 tuners 
    6 tuner bushings 
    7 tuner screws - assuming kluson style 
    Neck plate 
    4 neck screws 
    Pickguard 
    11 pickguard screws (depends on version obvs) 
    3 pickups 
    6 pickup screws 
    6 pickup springs or rubbers 
    3 pickup covers 
    3 knobs 
    3 nuts for knobs 
    3 washers for knobs 
    Selector switch 
    Tip for switch 
    2 switch screws 
    Jack plate 
    2 Jack plate screws 
    Jack plug 
    Nut for Jack plug 
    Washer for Jack plug 
    Bridge plate 
    Trem block 
    6 trem screws 
    6 saddles 
    6 saddle screws 
    12 height screws 
    6 saddle springs 
    Trem arm 
    Trem arm tip 
    6 trem springs 
    Trem claw 
    2 trem claw screws 
    Backplate 
    6 backplate screws 
    2 strap buttons 
    2 strap button screws 
    2 felts 

That makes 146 - can someone do the electronics?!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72485
    edited April 2016
    There are 12 bridge saddle height screws, 6 intonation screws, 6 springs, 6 saddles, 6 pivot screws, 3 block screws, 3 springs, the bridgeplate, the block and the claw, 2 claw screws and the tremolo arm. That's 48 just for the bridge system - 49 if you count the trem arm tip separately.

Not even I can be bothered counting the rest :).

What I'm more interested in is how well he'll put it together. There are a huge number of careful settings and tiny adjustments you need to do to get it really right, which if you've been working on guitars for a while become second nature without even thinking about them - but not if you've never done it before.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• (Fuck you default paragraphless iPhone text entry mode!)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3983
    I quite like James May and Strats, and it's not often you get guitar building (or reassembling!) on TV so i'll give it a watch.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24834
    thomasross20;1023905" said:
    The dullest part will be the back of the neck - I've heard he's taking the gloss off it - in the words of Kylie and Jason - especially for you....
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22995
    Ah, now I'm thinking.... modern or vintage tuners?  Modern or vintage bridge?  Five trem springs or three (...or two)?  It might even be a hardtail, don't forget the six ferrules... 11 scratchplate screws or 8?  And they don't always use washers under the nuts on the pots.... Four bolt neckplate or three?  And does it have a microtilt....?

Stop it Phil.  I'm going to do the shopping.
  • GuyBoden said:

He's got a first class music degree, too, though he's a piano player mainly, so he should be able to get a decent tune out of it when he's done.

A piano player with a first in music, so he'll be a proficient piano player........................
    Well yes, obviously, but all I meant was that as a very proficient musician. he'll have had a go at knowing where the notes are (iirc, he once did a version of Jessica using engine sounds) and thus will maybe give it a go and might sound as if he knows what he's doing. I didn't say he'd be good at it, just that he should be able to get a tune out of it.

He may not, but he might.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.