These quick buck guitar sellers are really doing my head in!!

What's Hot
StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
edited June 2016 in Guitar
I like to think of myself as being quite an honest person, I don't like to rip anyone off, and am happy to lose a  lil bit of cash in a trade or sale if needs be. 
This current glut of sellers who are hell bent on ripping fellow guitarists off are really starting to do my head in. There are a few who do the rounds on facebook Gumtree and Fleabay, i'm sure we all know who they are. 

Well I caught a well known one a' right cropper today.

They had a guitar which was pretty cool, so I email with a trade offer ( in they Ad they were looking for trades) so after a lot of the standard chit chat we looked at prices etc, His Guitar was up at £1000 and mine is worth about £1200, he said he would want £500 on top for his, I said that would mean mine is worth £400 in a trade which I was not prepared to go with, so he comes back and says the guitar I was interested in he has up for £1750 not £1000, I point him to his Fleabay ad and low and behold the price has suddenly changed to £1750!

He said to me I was mistaken as it had always been that price as he has an apprentice who manages all his ads, this due to him being computer illiterate  so the extra £500 if a fair deal..............

Unfortunately for him I did a screen shot of the guitar before I messaged him which of course shows the price at £1000. 

After a further bit of research I see he has created several (poor) Websites so clearly knows his stuff computer wise...needless to say I didnt hear from him again , and the guitars still up at £1750.

I have uploaded the final part of the conversation as its a fun read seeing him dig a lovely hole for himself :)

I have blocked his name due to....well you know liable and all that , but will happily give it via pm, as buyers need to be aware of this dodgy Goon 
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    "...unscrupulous cad": that be fightin' talk! :)
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    simonk said:
    Ha, I wanted to be diplomatic, as the whole thing however frustrating did have an element of pure daftness so I wasn't going to get all abusive on the Toothless Simpleton. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Strangefan;1101654" said:
    simonk said:

Ha, I wanted to be diplomatic, as the whole thing however frustrating did have an element of pure daftness so I wasn't going to get all abusive on the Toothless Simpleton. 
    Fair point! I'd probably raise Toothless Simpleton to Slack Jawwed Faggot though.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5297
    outstanding use of old english here gents..i am off to look for an Aria guitar on Ebay :)
    then again i may just pop down to Murphys Guiness bar for some japanese style sing along with the music kind of thang
    @mgaw You strange old bean.....good to have you back!
    ah ha......blokes a fuckin div as they say North of the Border..i am going to make some ludicrous offer to him, be interested to see his reactions.
    @mgaw so would I :)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    mgaw said:
    ah ha......blokes a fuckin div as they say North of the Border..i am going to make some ludicrous offer to him, be interested to see his reactions.
    Offer to trade him a Jimi Hendrix Strat and tell him you can't get on with it...
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    He said he was 50 when the internet was invented... the date usually given for the invention of the internet is 1969.

Shame on you for arguing with a 97 year old guitar seller!!  :))
    Oh, and WTF is his apprentice learning? 
    i was thinking of going down the road of the inexperienced guitar collector who recently inherited a few old Gibsons from me uncle in the states :)
    Ah the old "get him drooling and wind him in" trick..

I like the cut of your jib
    i am going to ask him if Hendrix actually played the guitar as shown in the pic in the listing......then tell him that there was a Fender my Uncle owned that was being shipped to me next week...we think he bought it 2nd hand in !969 in New York whilst working in a studio there.   He said that he met Jimi Hendrix :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    mgaw said:
    i am going to ask him if Hendrix actually played the guitar as shown in the pic in the listing......then tell him that there was a Fender my Uncle owned that was being shipped to me next week...we think he bought it 2nd hand in !969 in New York whilst working in a studio there.   He said that he met Jimi Hendrix :)
    Naughty boy.. keep it up
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    I can guess the seller but please PM me, I'm interested!

Had a similar exchange with a 'well known' seller recently too...but let's do this via PM :-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2429
    I was offered a wholesome £120 cor my Washburn Falcon from this Boston Ripper(off-er)
    cad indeed.
    @Sarge which would have then be sold for £900 plus,
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2429
    Strangefan;1101796" said:
    @Sarge which would have then be sold for £900 plus,
    @Strangefan yes indeed, whereas I'm only asking for half that :)
  • SeatingSeating Frets: 38
    That add still says £1000 on my page. I also have a screen shot :)