These quick buck guitar sellers are really doing my head in!!

What's Hot

Comments

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    No it doesn't.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=262446654068&alt=web
    Seating;1101858" said:
    That add still says £1000 on my page. I also have a screen shot :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SeatingSeating Frets: 38
    No it doesn't.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=262446654068&alt=web
    Seating;1101858" said:
    That add still says £1000 on my page. I also have a screen shot :) 
    I said it does ON MY page. And it does. I will show you if you like.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1703
    He couldn't sell this guitar in May for £1250 it seems..I checked his completed listings.. probably fluctuates the price due to interest shown...
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• Strangeness. Browser cookies? A search for the listing shows it as £1750...

I agree with being bored of the quick buck crew sentiment though.

I used to be prepared to sell stuff more cheaply on here, taking the view that it was going to the community and to interested people.

Then something I sold a little too cheaply got flipped on eBay within 48 hours for more than 60% more than I sold it...my goodwill ended at that point.
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Stunning guitar, I can see why you're after it @strangefan, is that ebay seller the same guy @travisthedog had a thread about recently?
    Yes indeed. I was really kind of just "proving" that originally it was a grand. I wasn't being an ass. My post was supporting the OP.

I have now taken the stance of keeping hold of my stuff rather than give it away too cheaply to someone who will flip it. 
    Trouble is I am out of space now and like everyone else, always have my eye out for something. Currently searching the planet for a Malcolm Young Gretsch in the hope that I never actually find one 

Back on topic, I know know which Ebayer to ovoid like the plague. 

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 685
    What exactly is the issue here? Is it a guy being a dick, or people selling stuff to make money from it?
    edited June 2016
    Seating said:
    Yes indeed. I was really kind of just "proving" that originally it was a grand. I wasn't being an ass. My post was supporting the OP.

I have now taken the stance of keeping hold of my stuff rather than give it away too cheaply to someone who will flip it. 
    Trouble is I am out of space now and like everyone else, always have my eye out for something. Currently searching the planet for a Malcolm Young Gretsch in the hope that I never actually find one 

Back on topic, I know know which Ebayer to ovoid like the plague. 

Sorry bud iot came across like you were saying it was still a grand , :)

daveyh said:
    What exactly is the issue here? Is it a guy being a dick, or people selling stuff to make money from it?
    Read again he lied by changing the price to make me pay more.....
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Sarge said:
    I was offered a wholesome £120 cor my Washburn Falcon from this Boston Ripper(off-er)
    cad indeed.
    HIM again? What an absolute dick!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6128
    FreddieVanHalen said:.....
    I used to be prepared to sell stuff more cheaply on here, taking the view that it was going to the community and to interested people.

Then something I sold a little too cheaply got flipped on eBay within 48 hours for more than 60% more than I sold it...my goodwill ended at that point.
    Same experience here.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7617
    I like to think of myself as being quite an honest person, I don't like to rip anyone off, and am happy to lose a  lil bit of cash in a trade or sale if needs be. 
    This current glut of sellers who are hell bent on ripping fellow guitarists off are really starting to do my head in. There are a few who do the rounds on facebook Gumtree and Fleabay, i'm sure we all know who they are. 

Well I caught a well known one a' right cropper today.

They had a guitar which was pretty cool, so I email with a trade offer ( in they Ad they were looking for trades) so after a lot of the standard chit chat we looked at prices etc, His Guitar was up at £1000 and mine is worth about £1200, he said he would want £500 on top for his, I said that would mean mine is worth £400 in a trade which I was not prepared to go with, so he comes back and says the guitar I was interested in he has up for £1750 not £1000, I point him to his Fleabay ad and low and behold the price has suddenly changed to £1750!

He said to me I was mistaken as it had always been that price as he has an apprentice who manages all his ads, this due to him being computer illiterate  so the extra £500 if a fair deal..............

Unfortunately for him I did a screen shot of the guitar before I messaged him which of course shows the price at £1000. 

After a further bit of research I see he has created several (poor) Websites so clearly knows his stuff computer wise...needless to say I didnt hear from him again , and the guitars still up at £1750.

I have uploaded the final part of the conversation as its a fun read seeing him dig a lovely hole for himself :)

I have blocked his name due to....well you know liable and all that , but will happily give it via pm, as buyers need to be aware of this dodgy Goon 
    Don't buy from him. Problem solved. 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:

Don't buy from him. Problem solved. If we all thought like that this place would be very boring and quiet. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BeefBeef Frets: 260
    I had a similar experience just this week with a lad on Gumtree. Vexed me. Was looking for a Danelectro Hornet, they seem pretty hard to find now, but they're not expensive. Found one on Gumtree for £130 in Blackpool that was up for like 5 days and no one had bought it. I messaged him, let him know I'm really interested and that I need to see if I have time to make the trip up from London and back, which is a major slog. Next morning I find he's bumped the price up to £180. Haggled him down to £150 and bought it anyway, but it made me pretty mad. He was a nice enough guy when I met him, but that's such a lame thing to do.

Sure £130 was on the cheap for it, but he had the best part of a week to change it, seemed pretty low to change it immediately after someone finally shows some real interest in it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    @Beef
    1. Welcome to the fretboard
    2. Great user name.
    3 Welcome to the scurge of the guitar buying community, it's only going to get worse, :(
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @strangefan Thanks for the warm welcome! UK based guitar geekery, I already know that I love it here. Hey, I guess that's why we're here - I imagine the calibre of folk and their sales you find on here are probably a bit more honest on the whole than eBay and co.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Beef;1103953" said:
    @strangefan Thanks for the warm welcome! UK based guitar geekery, I already know that I love it here. Hey, I guess that's why we're here - I imagine the calibre of folk and their sales you find on here are probably a bit more honest on the whole than eBay and co.
    Ive had super buying experiences on here. The level of knowledge is outstanding and its a good laugh too.

Welcome!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I think I will too! I posted a WTB for a pedal yesterday. Got a single PM within a few hours from someone offering it for a very reasonable price. Turns out he commutes and works in the small town that I live in, what are the odds... Couldn't have hoped for a better outcome.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27795
    Beef said:
    I imagine the calibre of folk and their sales you find on here are probably a bit more honest on the whole than eBay and co.
    That's not a particularly high bar to clear
    ;)

Hopefully you'll find we're quite a bit more honest than eTree & GummyBay.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom