NGD: P90 content

What's Hot
fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5059
edited August 2017 in Guitar
I picked up this PRS McCarty Soapbar off ebay. The guy sold it as having the original pickups but when I took them out to have a look, and whipped off the control plate as you do, I discovered that the pickups had been changed. So I told the seller and he paypalled me a nice partial refund!

The pickups are unbranded but they're vintage level ohmage and as far as I can tell are early Fralins. The guitar has had a refret, which is very well done and has no fretwear at all, plus a new bone nut and it has the PRS fully intonatable bridge. Nice dark 'board as well.

The guitar has some 'mojo' i.e. a few small dings and marks here and there but nothing major or serious. It's also had the lacquer removed from the back of the neck, which makes for a nice-feeling playing experience. I've played a couple of gigs with it and it sounds superb with a huge variety of tones available - obviously the classic P90 graunch plus ballsy Tele'ish tone, Strat-front-pickup-alike, to almost LP humbucker sounds. And it's not too noisy either, even with some gain.

250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I used to have one of these and miss it dearly. Fabulous guitars I'd be interested in hearing it with Fralins in it. I've had the Seymour Duncan's on a les Paul and didn't like them but they really suited the McCarty.

Good gas sir
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14323
    edited June 2016 tFB Trader
    One of my favourite PRS Guitars - the p/ups and the colour - They use to fit some custom Seymour Duncan p/ups to this model so I'm hoping or guessing those Fralin p/ups should move it up a touch or two regarding tone

The one piece bridge is old school and fine, but with a wd 3rd or heavy strings for drop tuning then the adjustable bridge is better/more accurate regarding intonation - But I'm like you and would prefer the one piece wrap over bridge

The mods are fine for a 'giggers guitar' - hope you like it - should produce some good magic that PRS
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5445
    They use to fit some custom Seymour Duncan p/ups to this model so I'm hoping or guessing those Fralin p/ups should move it up a touch or two regarding tone

this was my thought - although I'm one of those "crazy people" who think that Seymour Duncan winds a perfectly serviceable P90, Fralins are definitely a step up, and considering what it costs to get a new set, you dun good, @fretfinder!
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1751
    Easily my favourite PRS model ever built - happy NGD to you from a very jealous man in the new forest
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Result.
    Especially considering the refund.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5059
    edited June 2016
    Whitecat said:
    They use to fit some custom Seymour Duncan p/ups to this model so I'm hoping or guessing those Fralin p/ups should move it up a touch or two regarding tone
    this was my thought - although I'm one of those "crazy people" who think that Seymour Duncan winds a perfectly serviceable P90, Fralins are definitely a step up, and considering what it costs to get a new set, you dun good, @fretfinder!
    I understand that the SD P90s that were fitted to these guitars from the factory were rather hot and I prefer a vintage type of sound. I emailed pics of the replacement pickups that were in the McCarty to Fralins and asked if they were theirs, and got the reply 'looks like it'. So that's as close as I'm going to get to knowing! 

250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    PRS fitted Seymour Duncan sp90-1 in the neck and a sp90-3 in the bridge of these at the factory.
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    McCarty+Goldtop+P90's is a winning combination! Great score indeed!

Adam_MD said:
    PRS fitted Seymour Duncan sp90-1 in the neck and a sp90-3 in the bridge of these at the factory.
    So that's about 12 ohms at the bridge and 8 at the neck? Quite hot. The replacement P90s in mine are about 7.8 ohms in the bridge and 6.80 at the neck. 

(Yes, I know, resistance isn't the same as output...)
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7063
    tFB Trader
    If I ever bought a PRS it would be a McCarty gold top with soapbars
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Yes, but what weight is it ?    :P

Fine looking guitar, Fralins instead of Seymours, *and* a refund, you jammy ***

Happy NGD  :)

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4158
    Adam_MD;1104972" said:
    I always read it was two SP90-1's in them on BAM? I've not had one (yet) but a McKorina Soapy is a likely purchase one day.

Great GAS indeed. :)
    guitargeek62;1105187" said:
    [quote="Adam_MD;1104972"]PRS fitted Seymour Duncan sp90-1 in the neck and a sp90-3 in the bridge of these at the factory.
    I always read it was two SP90-1's in them on BAM? I've not had one (yet) but a McKorina Soapy is a likely purchase one day.

Great GAS indeed. :)[/quote]

They originally fitted sp90-1s in the first run and the feedback they got back was they didn't balance that well so switched to the sp90-3 in the bridge and that configuration stayed until they were discontinued.
    edited June 2016
    ChrisMusic;1105175" said:
    Yes, but what weight is it ?    :P

Fine looking guitar, Fralins instead of Seymours, *and* a refund, you jammy ***

Happy NGD  :)
    I wondered who'd be the first to spot that outrageous omission! It weighs 7lbs 15oz - anything under 8lbs for a PRS is good for me. :D
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24843
    @guitars4you had a used one of these in a few years ago which I nearly bought.

The coolest of all PRSs for me.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14323
    tFB Trader
    @guitars4you had a used one of these in a few years ago which I nearly bought.

The coolest of all PRSs for me.
    maybe next time Richrd - great guitar
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    edited June 2016
    Best PRS, looks wise. Miss my McCarty (sold by @guitars4you). Mine had humbuckers but I imagine the P90s work really well in these.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Adam_MD;1105213" said:
    [quote="guitargeek62;1105187"][quote="Adam_MD;1104972"]PRS fitted Seymour Duncan sp90-1 in the neck and a sp90-3 in the bridge of these at the factory.

Great GAS indeed. :)[/quote]

They originally fitted sp90-1s in the first run and the feedback they got back was they didn't balance that well so switched to the sp90-3 in the bridge and that configuration stayed until they were discontinued. [/quote]

Happen to have a pair of SD P90s labelled on their rears as

I7D69 P90 PRS X BRIDGE 20100127
    I7G43 P90 PRS X NECK 20100126

Bridge measures 15.8k and neck measures 11.2k.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27651
    That is THE guitar.

(Well, one of THE guitars, at the very least).
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    @Chalky what model are your pickups from?