SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD: A Nathan Sheppard bargain.

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 27697
edited February 2017 in Guitars £
You might have seen this before, but you didn't grab it at the time, so here's a second chance ...

Nathan Sheppard NSG25.

This one has a backstory.  

I rescued it via eBay, after someone had fitted it with some incredibly cheap & nasty pickups and given it the worst re-fret job you'll ever see (I hope).  

Since then, it's had quite a lot of TLC.  

The body has had a light rubdown and re-oil.  There are still some small dings, but they're the sort that you can only spot by holding the guitar at the right angle to the light and knowing where to look.

The fretboard has been re-radiused, fret-markers installed and a proper re-fret done.  That work was done by a proper guitar tech (ie not me!), and it's a good tidy job.  I've then installed a set of SD PRails together with the switched p'up rings.  Not everyone's first choice of p'up, so if you don't want them, I'll uninstall them and the price drops £75.

The body is Korina (I believe), with one of Nathan's trademark 3 piece necks (flamed maple & walnut).  The body is thin & light, the neck is reasonably chunky.  The neck has also had a simple oiled finish, which just highlights the beauty of the flamed maple.

The backstory is that it was originally an NSG "reject" - the neck p'up cavity is *very* slightly over sized, so you can see - if you look very closely and from 6" away - the edge of the cavity outside the p'up ring in a couple of places.  That aside, it's a standard NSG with all the usual quality materials and build, and the benefit of a damn fine refret.

More pics you say ... OK;

Look very carefully, and you can spot the oversized p'up cavity ...

FS at £550.  Or £475 if you don't like the PRails.  Plus £20 towards the courier cost unless you're lucky enough to live in (or close to) Suffolk.

FT?  Possibly for something Strat-ish, could be a p/ex deal with cash passing either way depending on the deal.
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
1reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1740
    Interesting. 
    Good luck with the sale 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    You kill me with these Sheppard's.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27697
    You kill me with these Sheppard's.
    You'll not find a better buy than this one.

All the (un argued) quality materials & workmanship with none of the bling ... Were it not for that slightly enlarged p'up cavity, it'd be twice the price.

Tempting ....

;)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28734
    That seems a stone-cold bargain to me.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:
    It is.

But as it's you @Sporky, I'd be happy to increase the price to some prime value if you preferred ...

Anyone want to trade for something Stratty/Stratesque/Strattish ??
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11989
    any case?
    any case?
    Gig bag @tonecontrol - or you can have a really battered old hard case.
    What level in the Fender brand do they play like?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    If it helps I've had two NSGs (still got one - swapped it for the other), and I'd say they're better than any Fender I've played; that said I've not tried anything Custom Shop. And I don't dislike Fenders
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    do they feel Fendery, Gibsony, PRSy,  or what? (I mean playing the neck)
    "They vary" is the honest answer - I've played three or four others at a guess.

The last one had a pretty thin neck, very flat radius and gloss (but not sticky) neck finish. The one I have now has an oiled mahogany neck, quite a bit thicker, still a flattish radius.

I s'pose I'd say more PRS than Fender or Gibson, but I've also never had much issue switching between guitars with very different neck profiles. I'm not keen on giant clubby ones mind.
    do they feel Fendery, Gibsony, PRSy,  or what? (I mean playing the neck)
    As my sales assistant says ...

NSG's necks vary, I guess based on what the customer of a particular guitar asked for.  Or what Nathan felt like making on the day.

I've not played many Fenders, but this doesn't feel like any Fender neck I have played.  I've played a fair few PRSs, and this neck doesn't feel like any of them particularly, it's probably chunkier than any of the PRSs that have passed through my hands - though I don't think I've ever had a WF necked model.  It's probably closer to some of the Gibsons that I've played, although those necks seem to vary considerably, depending on what era they're from or are trying to emulate.

It is chunky rather than thin though, and wide rather than narrow.  I can try to take some measurements, though those are often misleading (IMHO) because they don't explain the "feel" of the neck.  This one is oiled rather than glossed/painted, so it "feels" more natural and pleasant to play.  At least, that's my opinion / preference.  If you like thin/narrow, it'll not be for you but if you're happy with thicker necks, you should be fine with this.

Just to confuse things further, it's very similar to the one that Sporky currently has (I know that, because I had it before him!), which he suggests isn't a "giant clubby one".
    I would describe the one I have as pleasantly substantial.
    edited July 2016
    Bump.

Sporky said:

Couldn't have put it better myself.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    The necks feel like Charvels if my one is anything to go by. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17672
    tFB Trader
    Having played it I'd say the neck was chunkier than a PRS wide fat but skinnier than a 50s LP. 

How come you are into strats all of a sudden Tony?
    How come you are into strats all of a sudden Tony?
    Thanks for the neck comparisons Mr @Monquixote.

Strats - I had one for a while, barely played it, but still sort of miss it.  I also have no other single coil guitars around the place (ignoring P90s) and there seem to be lots of Strat & Strat type guitars around, so thought it might be an easy trade option.

Though cash is obviously king, queen & crown prince!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17672
    tFB Trader
    I have a strat to trade but I don't really like nsgs so that doesn't help unless you are trading anything else.
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    @monquixote I'm quietly looking for a strat, seem to remember you offering a nice one up a while ago. Would you mind pm'ing me some details Sorry for the thread hijack