No Man's Sky...oops

What's Hot
The ASA are involved now...

http://www.pcgamer.com/no-mans-sky-is-being-investigated-by-the-advertising-standards-authority/?utm_content=bufferbb153&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamerfb

Looks like there are quite a few unhappy people willing to take it further. This should be...interesting.
<space for hire>
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28198
    Presumably Elite Dangerous next. And then cutting a bloody swathe through the entire gaming industry.

I'm surprised the ASA finally finished his mug of tea and decided to do some work.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    I'm torn about this.

On one hand, the fellow from Hello Games clearly did nothing to slow down the hype train and was extremely economical with the truth. In fact if you wanted to be pedantic, he clearly lied about the game's features.

On the other hand, this is why you don't preorder games. I would never stump up the full AAA price tag without having played the game. And the distinct lack of actual information around the game before launch was very ominous.

Not to mention the fact it is an indie game. Companies like Ubisoft and EA regularly cock up AAA titles, why on Earth would you trust an indie company to deliver?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    Presumably Elite Dangerous next. And then cutting a bloody swathe through the entire gaming industry.

I'm surprised the ASA finally finished his mug of tea and decided to do some work.
    The difference is that Elite's promo shots and videos are all generated in-game, whereas No Man's Sky's stuff was clearly overblown and isn't even close to the same quality.

I don't think it's the fact that there's a gap; it's that the gap is so bloody huge.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

The difference is that Elite's promo shots and videos are all generated in-game, whereas No Man's Sky's stuff was clearly overblown and isn't even close to the same quality.
    You do remember the launch trailer, right?

If that's in-game footage I'll eat a lot of hats.  I know I've not played as much as you but it's no more representative of the game than is the NMS one.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Heh...I'd forgotten about that. All the space combat sequences are gameplay (albeit pre-rendered at quality that couldn't be achieved in realtime at launch), but yeah...the hangar and cockpit shots aren't, I'll give you that ;) Also, those FA-off moves pulled by the Cobras are...well, you can't even do that in an Engineered Vulture, so I'll let you have that one too :D
    <space for hire>
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited September 2016
    I don't follow the gaming news, and I've only recently bought a PS. Is there a big problem with NMS?

I bought it for my son in August, but I note that while he hasn't expressed dissatisfaction with it, he barely plays it now. I suspect he was finding it rather repetitive and hence it lost its attraction. I also suspect he's not the only one, since when I was in a branch of Game I was surprised to see lots and lots of second hand copies of NMS that they had already.

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7326
    Didn't they advertise it as multiplayer, but then when it came out they admitted it was impossible to see other players?
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Bidley said:
    I'm torn about this.

On one hand, the fellow from Hello Games clearly did nothing to slow down the hype train and was extremely economical with the truth. In fact if you wanted to be pedantic, he clearly lied about the game's features.

On the other hand, this is why you don't preorder games. I would never stump up the full AAA price tag without having played the game. And the distinct lack of actual information around the game before launch was very ominous.

Not to mention the fact it is an indie game. Companies like Ubisoft and EA regularly cock up AAA titles, why on Earth would you trust an indie company to deliver?
    I'm not sure it's pedantry to say he lied... if any games journalists asked if a feature would be in the game he said it would be... then presumably rode his purple unicorn all the way home...

He either had no idea what his developers were doing and so was being dishonest about having a clue what the game was, or he did know and knew it wasn't going to be a feature and just lied to drive sales and hype...

The other companies lies are down to failing to do any proper QA testing normally - and they have been called on it. Fines/refunds/partial refunds were the result. Why should the independants not be held equally to account?
    edited September 2016
    Heh...I'd forgotten about that. All the space combat sequences are gameplay (albeit pre-rendered at quality that couldn't be achieved in realtime at launch), but yeah...the hangar and cockpit shots aren't, I'll give you that Also, those FA-off moves pulled by the Cobras are...well, you can't even do that in an Engineered Vulture, so I'll let you have that one too D
    I do think it's fair to say it isn't representative of the game, which is mpre simulation and less arcadey.

That said, the trailers since have been less overblown. NMS is still far worse.

I must play a bit more...
  • Sporky said:
    Heh...I'd forgotten about that. All the space combat sequences are gameplay (albeit pre-rendered at quality that couldn't be achieved in realtime at launch), but yeah...the hangar and cockpit shots aren't, I'll give you that Also, those FA-off moves pulled by the Cobras are...well, you can't even do that in an Engineered Vulture, so I'll let you have that one too D
    I do think it's fair to say it isn't representative of the game, which is mpre simulation and less arcadey.

That said, the trailers since have been less overblown. NMS is still far worse.

I must play a bit more...
    Actually, if you ever get involved in a pitched battle around a station in Elite, it can look a lot like that. Of course, you have to grind for a loooooong time to get to the point where you can have ships that do those sorts of things, which the trailers aren't exactly advertising ;)
    <space for hire>
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    so, is NMS any good? I'm considering it. My job can be pretty full on at times, and NMS looks like something that would provide a good chillout diversion. Yes?No?

cheers
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Snap said:
    so, is NMS any good? I'm considering it. My job can be pretty full on at times, and NMS looks like something that would provide a good chillout diversion. Yes?No?

cheers
    No, it's boring tbh. Too many crashes on PC, and the universes just don't deliver enough variety to maintain any interest. I went back to Fallout 4.
    Shame. I've been looking for a good space opera type game for years. Something that I could dip in and out of for a while, open ended etc.
  • Snap said:
    Shame. I've been looking for a good space opera type game for years. Something that I could dip in and out of for a while, open ended etc.
    Elite Dangerous
  • Snap said:
    You could try Elite, but it's got a significant learning and upgrade curve at the beginning. I managed to get from nothing to a highly combat-capable modded ship within 4 weeks of about 5 hours/week, but then...I already knew what I was doing and had a specific plan.
    <space for hire>
    cheers, I might just give that a go.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Snap said:

cheers
    A friend described it as the Most Awesome Interactive Screensaver.

If you're happy to log in, discover a few odd planets/creatures then log out... it's pretty and diverting - but if you're after a game, you'll be bored as f*** really quickly
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Snap said:

cheers

Wait till its £5 in the bargain bin. It looks interesting enough but anyone paying the full price got bumped IMO.
    Myranda said:
    Bidley said:
    I'm torn about this.

I'm not sure it's pedantry to say he lied... if any games journalists asked if a feature would be in the game he said it would be... then presumably rode his purple unicorn all the way home...

He either had no idea what his developers were doing and so was being dishonest about having a clue what the game was, or he did know and knew it wasn't going to be a feature and just lied to drive sales and hype...

The other companies lies are down to failing to do any proper QA testing normally - and they have been called on it. Fines/refunds/partial refunds were the result. Why should the independants not be held equally to account?
    You misunderstand me. Sean Murray and Hello Games absolutely should be held to account. I agree with everything you said.

What I was saying is that the signs were there for people who preordered and bought it on launch. If they'd waited for the reviews they would know what they were getting into. This is why paying for a game that isn't even out is dumb, especially in the age of digital game distribution.

Sean Murray can quite happily dry his tears with the millions he's made off the game already, due to preorders.
    DefaultM said:
    Didn't they advertise it as multiplayer, but then when it came out they admitted it was impossible to see other players?
    I don't think they admitted it until two Reddit users somehow managed to meet in the same place, on the same planet, and they couldn't see eachother.