No Man's Sky...oops

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Myranda said:
    Snap said:
    so, is NMS any good? I'm considering it. My job can be pretty full on at times, and NMS looks like something that would provide a good chillout diversion. Yes?No?

cheers
    A friend described it as the Most Awesome Interactive Screensaver.

If you're happy to log in, discover a few odd planets/creatures then log out... it's pretty and diverting - but if you're after a game, you'll be bored as f*** really quickly

When ED started it was a giant sandbox of buggy nothings to do (unless you like PVP). Then they introduced a bunch of new things which introduced a load of different colours and flavours of buggy nothings to do. I suspect NMS will go the same way.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Myranda said:
    Snap said:
    so, is NMS any good? I'm considering it. My job can be pretty full on at times, and NMS looks like something that would provide a good chillout diversion. Yes?No?

cheers
    A friend described it as the Most Awesome Interactive Screensaver.

If you're happy to log in, discover a few odd planets/creatures then log out... it's pretty and diverting - but if you're after a game, you'll be bored as f*** really quickly

When ED started it was a giant sandbox of buggy nothings to do (unless you like PVP). Then they introduced a bunch of new things which introduced a load of different colours and flavours of buggy nothings to do. I suspect NMS will go the same way.
    I think if they'd implied this from the beginning they'd have gotten away with it.

Look at Star Citizen - still in development, but most backers are still happy to let features trickle out because they knew it would be a long slog from the get go. NMS seemed to imply all the features would be there to start with... and I think they've even said some features are now impossible due to the way they coded things
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28370

Wait till its £5 in the bargain bin. It looks interesting enough but anyone paying the full price got bumped IMO.
    I'm not sure it's worth £5 - I got a full refund on it from Steam.

When a game doesn't run smoothly at 1080p on a PC that runs Fallout 4 smoothly at 4K you know there's something shonky going on.

That said, by the time it's £5 they might have been able to put in enough development time to make it smooth and reliable and a bit more interesting. I don't think it'll ever be a fundamentally story-driven thing, but that's not necessarily a problem.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Sporky said:

Wait till its £5 in the bargain bin. It looks interesting enough but anyone paying the full price got bumped IMO.
    I'm not sure it's worth £5 - I got a full refund on it from Steam.

When a game doesn't run smoothly at 1080p on a PC that runs Fallout 4 smoothly at 4K you know there's something shonky going on.

That said, by the time it's £5 they might have been able to put in enough development time to make it smooth and reliable and a bit more interesting. I don't think it'll ever be a fundamentally story-driven thing, but that's not necessarily a problem.
    Unfortunately my copy was a present from my office for my birthday, so I can't return it!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1379
    I don't do the hype thing anymore. In fact, the only big releases I tend to buy are the few Nintendo games that don't look rubbish. 

NMS is a big, empty, repetitive grindfest. However, a good grind has never put me off before, and I do like NMS. It's a very lonely game, and I'm not sure that was the initial proposal that got everyone's pants tight way back when. It's got a lot going for it, and I actually haven't found it to be too glitchy since the last PS4 patch (no waypoints that point to nothing, no buildings rendered in the side of a cliff and several hundred meters above ground). There's a robot space priest who you meet every now and then, and once he actually says something along the lines of "throughout the galaxy, there should be endless divergence and variation where there is repetition, patterns and similarity", which sums up the game quite well.

If you like the idea of grinding to improve your ship/suit/spacemoney while exploring randomly generated environments then I think you can still get something out of it. If you got hooked on hype then you're always going to be disappointed, with any game. NMS is just another example.

Videogame hype - not even once...
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Anyone here played Entropia Universe? I used ot play that a lot, not done for years. I liked the hugely open nature of it, and there were quite a fwe people I used to talk to regularly. Lost interest thouogh as I realised it was sucking up hours of my time.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8493

I will never get bored of this video.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I like this:

"Big Fat Lie"
  • Snap said:
    Anyone here played Entropia Universe? I used ot play that a lot, not done for years. I liked the hugely open nature of it, and there were quite a fwe people I used to talk to regularly. Lost interest thouogh as I realised it was sucking up hours of my time.

I played Project Entropia right at the start for a bit. They were among the first to use the freemium payment model but didn't really get it right at the time (or maybe they did...they have done pretty well) since there was very little to do without paying real dollar so I gave up without spending a penny. Nowadays games give you the whole experience but with a bit of a boost if you pay extra.
    yes, you needed to put money in to get anywhere really. I spent a few quid on it, maybe 40 quid, over the years I played. Got to a reasonable level, high enough to sruvive around the oil rig, but in the end I  just got bored with it. Not really my thing.
    can you play elite dangerous on your own? without getting too involved in the MMORPG thing?
  • Snap said:
    can you play elite dangerous on your own? without getting too involved in the MMORPG thing?
    Yep, there's a solo mode. Still needs an Internet connection to work, because the background simulation is part of their cloud setup (too much to run on a single machine), but you never encounter other people.
    <space for hire>
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3325
    See NMS is boring, repetitive and nowhere near the beauty of the trailers but..... I still seem to keep playing it. 
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1379
    grungebob said:
    See NMS is boring, repetitive and nowhere near the beauty of the trailers but..... I still seem to keep playing it. 
    It's strangely compelling. I had the same thing with Skyrim, I basically hated it and yet I have several hundred hours logged.
  • If you want something that is entirely local, is only 1GB, has chilled ambient music, and the ability to float through the known universe into procedurally generated universe to your heart's content, check out 'Space Engine'. It has been one astronomer's pet project since, I think, 2005, and is just wonderful. You can download ridiculously detailed skins for the solar system too, but even vanilla it is both a mind-bending, and relaxing, experience.

http://en.spaceengine.org/load/