Fraser Guitars....Any Good?

What's Hot
paul_xtpaul_xt Frets: 86
edited October 2016 in Guitar
Can anyone shed any light on these guitars? I've always been attracted to a relic, some of these are a it extreme but wondered if anyone had any experience with him or his guitars (other than the matchstick guitar he built..)

http://www.fraserguitars.com/product-category/vintage-series/

Cheers

Paul
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3340
    I like the look of the surf green with the bound neck, the price seems attractive too but are they all handmade or are they parts assembled and finished? I'd imagine the latter given the price. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539

Needs to tone down (or provide an option) that isn't full on "found in a skip" level of relicing.

Also, the provenance detail is deliberately sketchy, which I hate personally. If you make the bodies and necks yourself, shout about it. If you make it from parts and finish, relic and set it up to perfection, shout about it. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • paul_xtpaul_xt Frets: 86
    Totally agree with you @dindude about it being sketchy, kinda hoped someone may know the guy or own one and be able to shed some light. I've been offered the chance to go and try them, may take him up on it in the next few weeks and report back.
  • mikestrat57mikestrat57 Frets: 0
    edited April 2017
    As Dean is building me a guitar as we speak,  I can assure you that nothing he does is a parts assembled guitar, He;s doing a custom build for me to my specs and it's totally custom built. From the ground up. All aging is to my specs. Neck,  hand carved from blank stock to my dimensions.
  • DanjiDanji Frets: 225
    Not seen these before, one worrying detail omitted is the hardware, are you paying for handwound/brand pickups, (highly doubtful), or cheaper no-name mass produced pickups.  The same with the other hardware items.
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    Can't possibly be a full build. £799 is too cheap! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    They look ok, but the relicing is a bit much, maybe... ?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8824
    tFB Trader
    dindude said:

Needs to tone down (or provide an option) that isn't full on "found in a skip" level of relicing.

Also, the provenance detail is deliberately sketchy, which I hate personally. If you make the bodies and necks yourself, shout about it. If you make it from parts and finish, relic and set it up to perfection, shout about it. 

Ill be undertaking a few builds for customers this year. At no point would I ever hide behind the fact that I buy ready made necks and bodies. They do arrive completely unfinished though. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16742
    lonestar said:
    dindude said:

Ill be undertaking a few builds for customers this year. At no point would I ever hide behind the fact that I buy ready made necks and bodies. They do arrive completely unfinished though. 
    weird ain't it.  I consider them all my builds, even if i didn't start "from scratch"

I have build from parts many times.   I have built from planks many times.  Building from a rough sawn plank is quite different to building from a ready made  jointed and planed body blank.

No matter how much you do yourself, there is always someone who does more.   

Maybe if I plant a tree tomorrow my great grandchildren can harvest the wood from my tree and hand build a guitar using  nothing but hand tools they made themselves

quite frankly, if you are building something standard like a telecaster, its all in the first and last 5 %, material selection and set-up are where the quality difference lies.  i consider it a waste of my time to replicate a standard fender part in standard fender woods.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    lonestar said:
    dindude said:

weird ain't it.  I consider them all my builds, even if i didn't start "from scratch"

I have build from parts many times.   I have built from planks many times.  Building from a rough sawn plank is quite different to building from a ready made  jointed and planed body blank.

No matter how much you do yourself, there is always someone who does more.   

Maybe if I plant a tree tomorrow my great grandchildren can harvest the wood from my tree and hand build a guitar using  nothing but hand tools they made themselves

quite frankly, if you are building something standard like a telecaster, its all in the first and last 5 %, material selection and set-up are where the quality difference lies.  i consider it a waste of my time to replicate a standard fender part in standard fender woods.
    I'd love to be able to cut my own bodies and fashion my own parts from plastic blanks etc but for now it is essential that I build a customer base and offer the basics to get started. I have no problem with this but I do question why people believe someone building a standard replica guitar is wrong because they don't grow the tree, cut the blanks from said tree THEN go on to replicate a Fender telecaster to perfection. I replicate fender designs, so do lots of others. I'd like that to change over time but it will take time. I like the guitars in the link, the teles look particularly cool. But it's all marmite isn't it...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    I just wish everyone was honest about it!

I'd be happy to accept building from a blank as it would usually mean a reduction in cost to me and would mean that the other parts would be at least 'good' (branded pickups, bridges etc). 

Theres even been a few bigger brands where ive been a bit dubious, such as Revelator (how can they be so cheap?) and there is of course be whole Dusenberg thing where nobody has a clue where they are started, only that they are 'constructed' in Germany....

i once gave Relic Guitars The Hague a call about a Telecaster build and they quoted me £550! A full from scratch build apparently.......although their prices have now tripled. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paul75paul75 Frets: 2
    I just had a bizzare experience with Fraser guitars. Facebooked him with a spec for a quote, he said to email it so I did. No reply- I went back on fb to ask if he'd received my email, he'd blocked me! Maybe I offended by asking for reverse headstock? Really baffled.  I'd stay well clear. Shame, coz the guitars look great.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28538
    WezV said:

I hope they'll have mined and smelted the ore themselves for any metal parts in those tools.

I plan on a more thorough, authentic, and artisanal approach; I'm going to begin by making my own universe from scratch.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    edited August 2017 tFB Trader
    paul75 said:
    I just had a bizzare experience with Fraser guitars. Facebooked him with a spec for a quote, he said to email it so I did. No reply- I went back on fb to ask if he'd received my email, he'd blocked me! Maybe I offended by asking for reverse headstock? Really baffled.  I'd stay well clear. Shame, coz the guitars look great.
    Strange story unrelated to Fraser Guitars.. I was blocked by Deltone Guitars because he thought i had pinched his images (no, I hadn't). Odd how some of these chaps operate.

I sent Dean (Fraser guitars) a message via Facebook too but no response yet. I'm sure he's busy. Still, odd though...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think his guitars look great....I follow his instagram account.

however - I suspect they expensive and very nice looking parts casters.

Which is strange...as I'm sure you can buy reverse headstock necks these days.

• DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    edited August 2017
    So does anyone know if they are parts casters?

His site refers to them as handmade with handwound pickups.

So it sounds like he makes them all.
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    He posted a lovely relic HSS strat last night.
    #thebatesmotelband
    tFB Trader
    DanR said:
    So does anyone know if they are parts casters?

His site refers to them as handmade with handwound pickups.

So it sounds like he makes them all.
    He seems to make them all from scratch so fair play to him. Id like to be able to make my own necks and bodies!
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Is it possible to hand make a guitar from the ground up and make a profit worth your time for £900?
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3230
    We probably should invite the guy, see what he says?