Lady Guitarists

What's Hot

Comments

• DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    If not already added then I would include Chelsea Wolfe,  singer,  songwriter and guitarist...  PJ Harvey ofc... and Yoshiko of The 5678s...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5629
    I think this woman is incredible:

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    And this makes me want to turn all my guitars into firewood and give up!

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Haych said:

Well that was rather impressive...
    Anyone who moans about high fret access on a Les Paul should watch that :)
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10268
    Haych said:

Wow, major goosebump moment.She is seriously, seriously good.

Thanks for posting @Haych really enjoyed that.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    No worries @breakstuff, glad to be of service :)

• DaiCappDaiCapp Frets: 135
    edited February 2017
    Haych said:

My word, she can play...

This is a nicely done version of a little known Nirvana ditty... she does an awesome Tears in Heaven as well...

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Haych said:

Ok, now I really AM going to give up playing!!!!
    The only vague comparison I can claim to her is that I too have a Taylor electro acoustic but there ends the similarities!! Wow
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    I find it odd that everyone finds male guitarists inspirational, but when a woman does something better than you do you all want to "give up", as if it's some kind of insult. 

She's just playing music, not insulting your masculinity. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2219
    edited February 2017
    No mention of Kim Deal yet? Shocking.

Well I've said it. Kim Deal. There's a reason Dandy Warhols had a song called Cool As Kim Deal. Because she's f***ing cool.

As a Pumpkins fan, I have to mention D'Arcy Wretzky and Melissa Auf Der Maur. 

All superb.
    Oh trust me it's not just women who play well who make me want to give up. In fact most musicians do regardless of sex, age or even instrument. 

It would have been really odd given the nature of this thread to post a video of Charlie Hunter with the comment "this dude makes me want to quit". 

• VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    Devon Sproule

No one else seems to be having as much fun somehow.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Sorry to resurrect a very old thread but if we're talking about incredible female guitarists it's well worth checking out Lari Basilio - this might be one of my favourite solos:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    edited January 2018
    My wife plays the guitar - she’s a singer songwriter and far superior at finger picking styles than I am and comes up with rhythms that take me hours/days to get the hang of. In fact, it’s part of the reason we got together. She took it up in her mid 20s and whenever we visit a music shop or she’s played solo gigs people always seem very happy to help her out and treat her with respect. Mind you, we live in the Scottish Highlands and they’re the politest people I’ve known. You do what you want to do in the way you want to do it is my ‘advice’.
    Edit - oh! just spoken to my wife and she’s telling me she’s had all sorts of prejudice, people (including other musicians) assuming she’s a ‘folk singer’ and putting her down for that. Then she’ll grab an electric and rock out. I think the nay-sayers tend to shut up once they’ve heard her though. I guess the sad fact here is the way a woman is treated if they have their husband with them or if they are alone!
  • Both Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart are great guitarists, especially Nancy, Ann's playing has been overshadowed because she's rarely shown playing and her voice is so amazing.  And I learned form watching Mary Spender videos that Katy Perry played on stage in her early days.  A local celeb from my area, Avril Lavigne also plays, along with all the ladies already mentioned.       I had a run in with a back injury a few years ago and a physiotherapist suggested I do yoga, give it a try when your leg get's better, you might be surprised.     I was raised by a strong mother  and an even stronger sister, they taught me how to treat people no matter who they are, I sometimes see things that make me say "I with that person had a mom and sister like I did".  Fortunately,  us males are not all morons. 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    ^ thats great!
  • Both Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart are great guitarists, especially Nancy, Ann's playing has been overshadowed because she's rarely shown playing and her voice is so amazing.  And I learned form watching Mary Spender videos that Katy Perry played on stage in her early days.  A local celeb from my area, Avril Lavigne also plays, along with all the ladies already mentioned.       I had a run in with a back injury a few years ago and a physiotherapist suggested I do yoga, give it a try when your leg get's better, you might be surprised.     I was raised by a strong mother  and an even stronger sister, they taught me how to treat people no matter who they are, I sometimes see things that make me say "I with that person had a mom and sister like I did".  Fortunately,  us males are not all morons. 

Not sure what this means.

I'm not 'having a go'... just wanted to understand.

• Not sure what this means.

I'm not 'having a go'... just wanted to understand.

I think it might make more sense like this...

Both Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart are great guitarists, especially Nancy, Ann's playing has been overshadowed because she's rarely shown playing and her voice is so amazing.  And I learned form watching Mary Spender videos that Katy Perry played on stage in her early days.  A local celeb from my area, Avril Lavigne also plays, along with all the ladies already mentioned. I was raised by a strong mother  and an even stronger sister, they taught me how to treat people no matter who they are, I sometimes see things that make me say "I with that person had a mom and sister like I did".  Fortunately,  us males are not all morons. 

About the injury...I had a run in with a back injury a few years ago and a physiotherapist suggested I do yoga, give it a try when your leg get's better, you might be surprised. 

<space for hire>
  • @digitalscream. Thanks