Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Lady Guitarists

What's Hot

Comments

• Miki ' Sun Go ' Igarashi. Sorry for the typo, i need new glasses.
     Marissa Paternoster from Screaming Female.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2804
    I'm going to really stick my neck out here - I just don't find any of these guitarists very exciting or engaging (and I've listened to all of the suggestions).  That's a separate thing to the OP's original problem which was just utter nonsense from that particular guy in that shop.

I think Joni Mitchell is a genius and I like the way Bonnie Raitt plays guitar and the way JJ Cale's wife, Christine Lakeland supports him in his songs and I also like Sister Loretta Tharp (but almost more for the package of the hat and coat and white SG rather than pursuing her as a guitarist).  I'm not sure why, but I can't get too excited about female guitarists and how they play?  And it's not a black and white thing - I can really get into a girl playing a guitar, and this can be solely about the music but it can quite quickly get confused into the sex thing and me getting into it mainly because of that - attraction etc.  Personally, I think that's naturally part and parcel of rock n roll and playing the guitar and that that applies to girls fancying male guitarists just as much as the other way round.

I feel confused by the whole thing tbh.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TedTed Frets: 126
    I don't think its a gender issue.My girlfriend plays my guitar better than I do(annoyllngly with a fraction of the practice and lessons i've had). The problem is that it's a Dreadnought and she finds the size uncomfortable after a while.

I guess this might be an issue for female guitarists looking to buy a  guitar - whether or not it's the right size.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27025
    edited January 2018
    Julien Baker also worth a look. No widdly guitar-heroics but really nice melodic and FX-y stuff which is far more interesting

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Nina Gerber.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    1979 said:
    What about Jen Turner’s playing on the Natalie Merchant album Tigerlily anyone?
    @1979 Love her playing, beautiful soloist. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    Julien Baker also worth a look. No widdly guitar-heroics but really nice melodic and FX-y stuff which is far more interesting

I'd not heard of her before. Lovely songs. Thanks for posting :)
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • Clarky said:
    Haych said:
    I think this woman is incredible:

really enjoyed that...
    so did I. Just as I was thinking it would be nice to see the rhythm being played, she magicked herself onto the solid guitar while she started playing rhythm on the acoustic. The ending was good too :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Gabriela Quintero
  • Rory Block
  • Clarky said:
    Haych said:
    I think this woman is incredible:

really enjoyed that...
    That's why Django is king
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • OwainOwain Frets: 13
    Blackjack said:
    Hi folks, I have only posted on here a couple of times before and have to say I have always had lovely replies from you all. 

I am a pretty much 'no nothing beginner' who is trying hard to improve. The last 9 months or so have been pretty rubbish for me health wise as I sustained a still unresolved back injury and then in October broke my leg so I have been fairly limited with what I can do.  I do however play twice a week with neighbour's which is fun but they are not at all ambitious or want to move forwards. I also have a very kind mate who is helping me with all kinds of guitar related thing which is great! 

Anyway, the reason for this thread is I was talking on the phone earlier to a guitar shop (not my usual one) who was very offhand and made several very caustic comments about 'women that think they can play guitar'. Sadly I have come across this attitude more than once too.  I know I probably need to toughen up and grow a pair but to be honest I found it all quite upsetting and a big knock to my already low confidence.  I was very honest with the guy on the phone, I didn't come across as if I was Erica Clapton, Davina Gilmour or any other female alter ego! 

So chaps, honesty time please before I make a total prat of myself again, is it wrong as a fat middle aged woman to be wanting to play guitar?  Not just strumming along to a little folk song or something as a lot of female guitarists seem content with (not that there is anything wrong in that) but wanting to be able to make my beloved Les Paul shout, sing or cry one of these days. I have a collection of guitars way above my needs or ability in reality but I love them! My two 'go to' ones are my Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro and my Taylor acoustic.

So folks, lady guitarists - Yay or Nay!!   Or any thoughts or opinions on the subject - I know it's probably a contentious one.
    Yay of course, why nay? 

There are a lot of good women guitarists, and if you wanna play then play :) guitars isn't about gender, it's about having fun  =)
  • wis @Owain  ; ... Go For It @Blackjack, doesn't matter about your gender ethnicity age or body shape. :) or any other non-guitar-related attribute (before some PC enthusiast accuses me of missing out something they think is important!)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • My favourite guitarist is female. Emily Remler, who sadly departed this planet over 20 years ago. 
  • Emily Saliers.

• Vicki Genfan.
  • mikem8634mikem8634 Frets: 382
    edited February 2018
    Marissa Paternoster

• Samantha Fish.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • beerbeer Frets: 24
    edited February 2018
    Allison Bennett......taught me every Smiths song I know.... 

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Beau does the lion's share of the guitar on this, but Emily is no slouch. Lovely voice too.

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."