Where can I get Gibson top hat knobs?

What's Hot
19701970 Frets: 28
Hi!

I'm in need of some Gibson top hat knobs - anyone know where I can get ones that look like they're from a 60s Gibson Les Paul Custom?

Also, I'm assuming I can just pull off the knobs on my gibson and put new ones on without hassle.... 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14245
    tFB Trader
    TRY ALLPARTS - https://www.allparts.uk.com/collections/plastic-knobs

If you want actual Gibson packaged knobs try http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/guitar_accessories/guitar_parts/

they should just pull - if stiff either lever gently with a long screw driver - carefully so as not to mark the finish - or two pieces of thin cable, under and either side of the knobs and lift gently

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    Do you want to play it or sell it?  For playing give me speed knobs any day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • 19701970 Frets: 28
    crunchman said:

It's a personal aesthetic preference. 
  • 19701970 Frets: 28

If you want actual Gibson packaged knobs try http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/guitar_accessories/guitar_parts/

they should just pull - if stiff either lever gently with a long screw driver - carefully so as not to mark the finish - or two pieces of thin cable, under and either side of the knobs and lift gently

Thanks very much. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    crunchman said:
    +1 - top hats are fine for a vintage look, but speed knobs are definitely more practical 'live'.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited March 2017

@guitars4you  Sorry for the slight divergence from the 'Gibson theme', anddhope this isn't a daft question - but should Strat knobs also just pull off in the same way - I have a '69 hardtail and to prevent the volume knob moving I want to put a 'foam doughnut' on the spindle to prevent this, but its very stiff and won't pull up - haven't tried a screwdriver yet and wanted to check this removal technique is safe for an older Strat too? 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    Completely misunderstood the thread title - I thought it was about Slash....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Voxman said:

@guitars4you  Sorry for the slight divergence from the 'Gibson theme', anddhope this isn't a daft question - but should Strat knobs also just pull off in the same way - I have a '69 hardtail and to prevent the volume knob moving I want to put a 'foam doughnut' on the spindle to prevent this, but its very stiff and won't pull up - haven't tried a screwdriver yet and wanted to check this removal technique is safe for an older Strat too? 
    should come off the same way - but gently lever it as required - 9/10 will always come loose - I did damage a knob a few weeks ago as it was old, brittle and would not budge, but generally ok- back off if it is not for moving
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1841

The thought of slipping or denting any finish puts me off the screwdriver removal route. I prefer to wrap a cloth around the base of the knob, then you can just pull the cloth upwards taking the knob with it without any chance of damaging the guitar.

This is what I mean: (not me btw)

Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • AndyRAndyR Frets: 158
    I use two teaspoons to carefully and gently lever a knob up from two sides at once. I use a cloth under the teaspoons to protect the finish. I haven't come across a knob that resists this method.
    tFB Trader
    AndyR said:
    I use two teaspoons to carefully and gently lever a knob up from two sides at once. I use a cloth under the teaspoons to protect the finish. I haven't come across a knob that resists this method.
    yes  teaspoon work well - only generally very old guitars with plenty of 'grime' might be an issue and the knob appears 'welded' on - stiff as hell to remove and the knob flexes to much and becomes an issue - rare though - normally come off okay
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    It's also a good idea to spin the knob around a bit, even with the teaspoons - give it a chance to 'work' up the shaft rather than trying to get it straight off in one go.

(Apologies for the innuendo :).)

The flat blade of a Swiss Army knife screwdriver is good too. Don't use a thin screwdriver (narrower than about 7 or 8 mm), you'll probably crack the knob.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    This happened to me a couple of weeks ago when I used a smaller than usual screwdriver. And I was being gentle too. Luckily it was just a tiny bit that pinged off and I was able to glue it back in. I must have removed knobs hundreds of times before wirh no issue so was quite gutted.
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    It's also a good idea to spin the knob around a bit, even with the teaspoons - give it a chance to 'work' up the shaft rather than trying to get it straight off in one go.

I forgot to mention that - I tend to just do them by instinct so many times, by turning the knob as well,  that you forget to pass on such comments - well done @ICBM
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    HERE - set of 4 just £1.66 NEW!!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4-PCs-lot-26mm-Black-Aluminum-Acrylic-Guitar-Control-Knob-for-Electric-Bass-Guitar-with-Silver/32735993006.html?spm=2114.13010308.0.0.Lnp4sB

However if you want WITCH HAT knobs then cheapest is about £9 on Ali but are not the authentic Gibson era Vol.  decal
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    aliexpress etc will probably be for metric pots and not fit.

swivelelectronics on ebay has as set for US pots - £4.45 and free shipping - I've bought loads of stuff from this seller, all good stuff, no issues and fast service from Singapore.

or you could grit your teeth and go for these relic ones from Crazy Parts if that's your thing  - they come in gold or silver and will definitely fit US pots - the only real problem is they cost £20.

• If you're removing the knobs a good bet is a thick boot lace underneath and slowly pull up...this avoids any hard implements near the body of the guitar.  Top tip for the clumsy among us.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    /\ just to clarify - These /\ are Witch Hat whereas the OP stated TOP Hat...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    /\ just to clarify - These /\ are Witch Hat whereas the OP stated TOP Hat…
    That's true, but are there top hat knobs?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    ICBM said:
    57Deluxe said:
    /\ just to clarify - These /\ are Witch Hat whereas the OP stated TOP Hat…
    That's true, but are there top hat knobs?

http://store.gibson.com/top-hat-knobs/