Singers ....I pad app for lyrics

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8713
    harpo said:
    Linky to the blue tooth pedals please @Roland
    Singer is using this: http://www.airturn.com/bluetooth-pedals/digit-bt-106. I've got an earlier version. We use different foot switches. Initially I used a pair of Boss FS-5U switches because I had them on the shelf. They took up too much space on my pedal board, so I made my own with a pair of non-latching foot switches and metal box from Maplin. Our singer tried the standard AirTurn footswitch which came with the Digit but didn't get a positive feel when he pressed it. I've just built him a footswitch similar to mine.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928

darcym said:
    learn the lyrics, I know it's not what you're asking, but it looks poor if you don't know the lyrics / music on stage, few things look worse to me than music stands / lyric sheets at a gig.

Unless you are doing some sort of detailed musical arrangement, such as a musical show where the band are heard and not seen.

Perhaps it's too harsh, but it's just how I feel about it, it looks terrible.

I'm absolutely terrible at remembering lyrics. There are always a couple of songs where I have a total brain fart. I'd rather glance at my tablet during these moments than try and blag it.

I think it's a bit less forgivable if you play in function/cover bands for a living though.

• darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    Bidley said:

darcym said:
    learn the lyrics, I know it's not what you're asking, but it looks poor if you don't know the lyrics / music on stage, few things look worse to me than music stands / lyric sheets at a gig.

Unless you are doing some sort of detailed musical arrangement, such as a musical show where the band are heard and not seen.

I'm absolutely terrible at remembering lyrics. There are always a couple of songs where I have a total brain fart. I'd rather glance at my tablet during these moments than try and blag it.

I think it's a bit less forgivable if you play in function/cover bands for a living though.

different views,

I don't see it as acceptable, you're charging out money as a function band - want people to know the songs off by heart and put on a show, reading from an ipad doesn't look like I'm buying someone who knows the songs and you cant engage with the audience as much if you have to keep checking your ipad, I appreciate it's not what you're asking so I'm sorry for taking it a bit off track.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8713
    bobblehat said:
    Any similar Android apps about?
    SetList Maker claims to work on both IOS and Android
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    Roland said:
    bobblehat said:
    Any similar Android apps about?
    SetList Maker claims to work on both IOS and Android
    Songbook is good (it's available on iPad as well).  It does chords as well as lyrics in a similar way to Onsong.  I love being able to to change the key of the chords in 5 seconds.

Onsong have been promising an Android version for years but have failed to deliver.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    I have my iPod mini set up on my mic stand which just has my set/song list (200+ songs) as a memory jogger and a couple of song lyrics that I may not know/new songs I'm trying.

The rest of the time, if it's a shite gig and no-ones listening, I just watch something I've downloaded on iplayer.....
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    darcym said:
    Bidley said:

darcym said:

different views,

I don't see it as acceptable, you're charging out money as a function band - want people to know the songs off by heart and put on a show, reading from an ipad doesn't look like I'm buying someone who knows the songs and you cant engage with the audience as much if you have to keep checking your ipad, I appreciate it's not what you're asking so I'm sorry for taking it a bit off track.

I agree, reading every lyric and chord off a tablet for the entirety of a two and a half hour set is a bit cheesy. Having it to the side as a prompt is sensible.
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    OnSong is a great app - the fact you can link iPads together so they scroll at the same time is proper useful!!
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.