Jazz Bass pickup options

4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
in Bass tFB Trader
Hi guys,

Just acquired a lovely Japanese '75 reissue jazzer - bass is absolutely lovely, but pickups are a bit crap.

Any ideas what would be good to go in. Not bothered about being massively vintage correct, other than the looks. Been looking at Nordstrand NJ4 and Aguilar ones, any other decent options?

Cheers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    edited February 2017
    I've tried 3 sets in the same US Standard.

Fender CS 60s - fantastic. Actually a bit aggressive but great punch and a nice scoop with both pickups on. Real singles so there will be hum on single pickup settings.

EMG J set - thicker tonality in the upper bass but a bit less sub than the Fenders. The upper mids are less aggressive and they sound a bit flatter and less punchy but the trade off is they sound a bit more consistently thick across the range. The voicing is noticeably different overall. I quite like the both pickups on tone, and the individual pickups tones, but find the slight gradients of favouring one pickup over the other is more pronounced on the Fender set 

I like either set. The EMGs don't look traditional though. They do a set that do look traditional called JVX but I've no experience of them.

EMG JA - these sound like smoother, slightly more mid forward, slightly lower output Js. I'm not a huge fan if I'm honest but they could be a good choice if you think the J is too scooped/bright.

I also briefly owned a Sandberg J with the large pole piece Delano's and I thought the neck pickup sounded great, kind of almost towards a Precision sound. But with both pickups on the Fender that replaced it was way punchier (once output had been accounted for) and had a more pleasing scoop. I found the Delano's to sound comparatively a little congested. I also felt the Fender was a better instrument so that may make a difference too.

Basically my preference (on guitar also) is for real singles. I don't think noiseless sound as good in both pickup on situations (wonder if 2 could vs 4 is what causes this), EMG are noiseless but the tone is very different so that comes down to personal taste.

Just be aware when listening to comparisons online to check the pickup spacing is the same as yours. The standard for most Fenders is 60s spaced but some basses have 70s spacing which moves the bridge pickup closer to the bridge giving a different sound.

• Hi guys,

Just acquired a lovely Japanese '75 reissue jazzer - bass is absolutely lovely, but pickups are a bit crap.

Any ideas what would be good to go in. Not bothered about being massively vintage correct, other than the looks. Been looking at Nordstrand NJ4 and Aguilar ones, any other decent options?

Cheers

A normal one in the neck but for the bridge I'd go for a split type one, like a P Bass one but in a J Bass route.  I think Marc at MojoPickups makes one.
  • The only disadvantage with that is it wouldn't be hum cancelling in the middle position, because there'd be 3 coils.  
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 411
    edited February 2017
    Lollar or Fralin might be one to look at.  Nash has used DiMarzio pups in his J basses.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.