Harmonica Players

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Sorry. New here. I just posted a new subject on Bluesharp suits Guitarists. I failed to see this thread. I have played guitar for years, took up learning BluesHarp a few years ago. I have met and learned tricks off Giles King, Rollo Markee and Will Greener. 

A complete BluesHarp novice, I started a band in 2009 specifically to learn the little instrument and explore it's potential. I met up with the most amazing bass player and drummer and music has just flowed effortlessly. The BBC actually called me.....! ....to ask if we would like to do a live session on BBC Radio. 

I love this little instrument, a real challenge. 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    Have a wow ;

Welcome to the forum too ;)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10556
    tFB Trader
    I play too :-) 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• And me too. Clue in my fretboard name! Ha 
    I learnt  from 'beginning blues harp" by Don Baker.book and tape.then bought it on cd too.
    All good advice from everyone.  Got to check out Little  Walter and my all time favourite Sonny boy williamson . I have used brands from hohner (marine band and pro harp),Lee oskar, suzuki bluesmaster(my favourite) and also used cheaper harps,some good, some bad. Used to get my harps from 'harmonicas- direct' when he had a shop in Bradford,the guy knows his stuff,he moved away but has a shop and great website. Enjoy the learning,journey but helps to take yourself away and practise in a field or your car in the middle of nowhere!
    Cheers 
    Mark. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    And me too. Clue in my fretboard name! Ha 
    I learnt  from 'beginning blues harp" by Don Baker.book and tape.then bought it on cd too.
    All good advice from everyone.  Got to check out Little  Walter and my all time favourite Sonny boy williamson . I have used brands from hohner (marine band and pro harp),Lee oskar, suzuki bluesmaster(my favourite) and also used cheaper harps,some good, some bad. Used to get my harps from 'harmonicas- direct' when he had a shop in Bradford,the guy knows his stuff,he moved away but has a shop and great website. Enjoy the learning,journey but helps to take yourself away and practise in a field or your car in the middle of nowhere!
    Cheers 
    Mark. 
    My cats get really upset if I play at home ... its right on a frequency that does their poor little feline heads in!
    I used Huang cheap harps when I had/knew of a ready source of them. It amused me highly that they came with a leaflet entitled 'Huang care'!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3047

I have been playing blues harp for years, and can tell you its not as simple as it looks. Its a lot more than blowing, sucking and bending notes. Its all about the feel and the groove.

Check this YT of Rick Estrin below to see what I mean....dynamite...

Little Charlie is a fantastic player too.

R.
    tFB Trader

I used to play in a band with a brilliant harp player/vocalist: 'Smiling Pete Hogman'(back row centre). He was at one time a member of Jimmy Powell And The Five Dimensions around 1963/64. He went on to record one of the most famous harp parts ever in Millie's My Boy Lollipop. He knew Little Walter (and had one of his harps), John Lee Hooker, and had even played in a 'pickup band' for Chuck Berry. His knowledge on blues and harp in particular was encyclopedic, and as a young guitarist/bass player I watched him very closely ... as I loved harp and really wanted to be good at it. He always made me laugh by being super protective of his 'licks' and threatened me dire consequences if I copied them ... but he was also super supportive and gave me some great tips about sounding my best: 'get your single notes pure and clear ... and for f--ks sake don't get too complicated, too cleaver, or showboat too much ... less is more'.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader

• Nodding to a few previous posts....I buy from Peter Blyth of Harmonicas Direct a lot. I spoke to him today as it happens. Tips to sound your best (great story by the way), I agree. My own 'method'....

Simply titled H A R P......

H reminds me to hold notes, A is to Attack them dynamically, R is a reminder to repeat

choice phrases and  P is for 'play something pretty' too !

Rick Estrin....Marions Mood is a favourite of mine. A harp, second position.

Check this out tho'    3rd position (Cm from guitar) Bb harmonica

talk about 'phrasing'....wow

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom