Mateus Asato

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Mateus started out by posting short clips on Instagram, and still does, so here is his latest:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

First time I have heard the new MM St Vincent guitar, sounds rather good to me

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    If you want to hear more, check out his Instagram here:

https://www.instagram.com/mateusasato/?hl=en

• DanjiDanji Frets: 225
    I know it's his thing, but that reverb gets on my nerves. 
    Mateus Asato's Atmospheric Sessions ~ just posted by JamTrackCentral today, so:
     "fresh off the press ~ you heard it here first folks !"

Duration 3:20

Tim and Pete's Guitar Show #9 feat. Mateus Asato

Not the greatest conversationalist, but he sure can play, and he impresses Tim and Pete too, so don't just take my word for the fact that the boy's good.
    I am absolutely sure we will hear a lot more of Mateus in the coming years, a great young talent IMO.

Duration 1 hour 10 mins

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I take it you're his agent
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I fucking love this dude.

Posted about him a couple of times on here to mixed reviews, similar to how this thread is panning out. I love his playing - he's actually a fairly major influence on how I play now. I also love his taste in gear.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    Is there any video of him actually completing a song end to end? Music for people with the attention span of Donald Trump.
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1059
    He's already found a musical 'voice'.  The mark of a great player IMHO.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I think my issue with him, as he's clearly a blinding player, is that he all at once encapsulates for me what guitar playing seems to have become in 2017. 

A guy where his website won't let you purchase any music but will list his gear extensively, and his name is built on 30 second instrgram clips, but no "wow" moment like say the first time I heard the intro to Cliffs of Dover.

Compare that to the visceral Hendrix playing Redhouse almost 50 years ago that Jimmyguitar posted elsewhere and you wonder where it all went wrong!

And yes I'm as guilty as the next guy, I don't play in a band, I geek over gear, and I watch you tube vids, but then I'm not a pro muscian. There's just a lack of spirit there.

Caveat: im in a hospital bed over thinking it! 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    dindude said:
    I think my issue with him, as he's clearly a blinding player, is that he all at once encapsulates for me what guitar playing seems to have become in 2017. 

A guy where his website won't let you purchase any music but will list his gear extensively, and his name is built on 30 second instrgram clips, but no "wow" moment like say the first time I heard the intro to Cliffs of Dover.

Compare that to the visceral Hendrix playing Redhouse almost 50 years ago that Jimmyguitar posted elsewhere and you wonder where it all went wrong!

And yes I'm as guilty as the next guy, I don't play in a band, I geek over gear, and I watch you tube vids, but then I'm not a pro muscian. There's just a lack of spirit there.

In hospital?!?

Stumbled across Mateus' version of Don't Dream It's Over yesterday on YouTube. Bit of a wow and then waiting for it to finish. I guess I admire the skill more than I like the music. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    dindude said:

In hospital?!?
    Yeah I was considering going digital whith the Helix so they did the right thing by me.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    He is great and I would love to see him backing up a really great singer / songwriter because I feel that most of these highly accomplished guitarists work best in that kind of a setting.  Their own writing is weak IMO (Pete Thorn, Guthrie, etc).  
    So the likes of:

Chris Cornell
    Mellissa Etheridge
    Don Henley

not to mention numerous foreign language singers from France, Japan and Germany.

Like that?  ;)

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    He is great and I would love to see him backing up a really great singer / songwriter because I feel that most of these highly accomplished guitarists work best in that kind of a setting.  Their own writing is weak IMO (Pete Thorn, Guthrie, etc).  
    So the likes of:

Chris Cornell
    Mellissa Etheridge
    Don Henley

not to mention numerous foreign language singers from France, Japan and Germany.

Like that?  ;)

Yes. 

I've noticed a new trend cropping up with the current Youtube players.  Before there were a lot of guys playing fusion on Suhrs with a tone, and style, similar to Greg Howe's on Introspection, particularly the track Jump Start.

Now you have players using a semi-clean sound, with some compression, and they are playing chord melody type stuff with a lot of lead lines thrown in.  When they do play leads, their lines have a lot less single notes and they are incorporating double stops and the types of melodic devices that smooth jazz guitarists would use (e.g. Paul Jackson Jr.).