Baranik guitars - build gallery

TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7423
Obviously I'm now finding out all I can about my new squeeze - thought some folk might be interested in this picture gallery.

Some interesting stuff - the vacuum clamping at various stages, the angled back braces, tap tuning, routing the finish off the top for the bridge (!) and the bolt-on neck. 

http://www.baranikguitars.com/bpic.php?bpic=1

Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    yeah Tim, when I was doing the guitar making, '08 - '10 course Baranik's work was among the 'ones to watch' re techniques / build philosophy.

more on that r/wood -
    http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/topic/3021#.WVOVyoqQx3k

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    B)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4218
    And after all that love and artistry, the orginal owner of yours cracked it on a coffee table on day 1! They clearly weren't a worthy owner.....
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7423
    Lewy said:
    And after all that love and artistry, the orginal owner of yours cracked it on a coffee table on day 1! They clearly weren't a worthy owner.....
    Apparently he was sick to his stomach - he'd been waiting for it for ages and after the repair just felt awful whenever he looked at it. His loss... 

I've emailed with the serial number to see if I can find anything else interesting out, and to get a reliable replacement value for the insurance
    Red ones are better. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28323
    I do like a build gallery. Most interesting - thank you for posting it.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:
    I do like a build gallery. Most interesting - thank you for posting it.
    I was actually thinking about your workshop thread when I saw the things he'd made to help him make things :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28323
    I'm flattered!

I did like the mix of really cheap tools and really decent machinery - looks like each bit is just right for its job.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4218
    TimmyO said:
    Lewy said:
    Apparently he was sick to his stomach - he'd been waiting for it for ages and after the repair just felt awful whenever he looked at it. His loss... 

I've emailed with the serial number to see if I can find anything else interesting out, and to get a reliable replacement value for the insurance
    I see Dave King once in a while. Next time I do I'll ask him what if anything he remembers about the repair.
    Lewy said:
    TimmyO said:
    Lewy said:

I see Dave King once in a while. Next time I do I'll ask him what if anything he remembers about the repair.
    That'd be cool - if I understand the timeline correctly it'd be about 2 years ago 
    Red ones are better. 
  • kaypeejaykaypeejay Frets: 777
    I love the way that in the build, there is some stage that every part of the guitar looks like a ratty assemblage of bits of wood, only to be turned into what is a work of art after all that hard work. Brilliant.
  • Loving that gallery. That vacuum pack thing is a really expensive but very smart way of gluing the braces, instead of those sprung stick things that most builders use.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    edited June 2017
    BTW Tim, on the topic of Blue Spruce being the soundboard on that lovely guitar.
     I have Blue Spruce cabinetmakers paring chisels, I got for my 60th, hand forged A2 steel with Cocobolo handles, honed on #8000 Japanese waterstone you can shave with them !, well the hair on yer forearm that is.
    have a look -
    https://www.bluesprucetoolworks.com/

perfect for carving braces.

ps - ehm - I hadn't started doing that here.

If ya think being a guitar player is bad with the affliction of GAS - if you take to building you can fall foul of TAS *tools' and then WAS "wood' - buying the occasional guitar is pretty straight forward compared to all this stuff.  

AliGorie said:
    ps - ehm - I hadn't started doing that here.

haha - yeah if you had then I think they need sharpening ;-) 

Interesting stuff 
    Red ones are better.