Anyone tried D'Addario NYXL strings ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    longshins said:
    Might of been in my head but I found them harder to bend than normal strings.
    Same - they have a different tension and I didn't enjoy it, they felt brittle - really liking the Ernie Ball Cobalt as my acidic sweat doesn't seem to kill them so quick! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24323
    Emp_Fab said:

I've never tried an electric with them and my ignorance is worried that they would be duller than uncoated strings and I'd have trouble getting any pinched harmonics out of them.

What would you say are the big differences (positive and negative) compared to regular strings?
    I've absolutely never had trouble pulling harmonics (pinched, tapped or natural) out of them. In fact, I can still do it quite easily after they've been on the guitar for 6 months, which is something I can't say for any other brand of string.

They are definitely more slippery than normal strings...I happen to quite like that, but you might not. They're also noticeably higher-tension than NYXLs, but I suspect that's a combination of Elixirs being a bit tight and NYXLs being a bit loose.

The main benefit for me is that I rarely have to change my strings (I fucking hate it). In fact, in the last year I've changed my pickups more than I've changed strings. They're not as bright as other brands when they're fresh, but from two or three days on...they stay the same, instead of getting lprogressively more dull like "normal" strings.
    @digitalscream  Ooh...  now I'm interested!  I'm usually slapping on the Fastfret (or lately, WD40!) to reduce the friction on my XLs.  I believe there are different types of elixir strings...  Would you recommend any particular flavour ?
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26601
    Emp_Fab said:
    Emp_Fab said:

I've never tried an electric with them and my ignorance is worried that they would be duller than uncoated strings and I'd have trouble getting any pinched harmonics out of them.

What would you say are the big differences (positive and negative) compared to regular strings?
    I've absolutely never had trouble pulling harmonics (pinched, tapped or natural) out of them. In fact, I can still do it quite easily after they've been on the guitar for 6 months, which is something I can't say for any other brand of string.

They are definitely more slippery than normal strings...I happen to quite like that, but you might not. They're also noticeably higher-tension than NYXLs, but I suspect that's a combination of Elixirs being a bit tight and NYXLs being a bit loose.

The main benefit for me is that I rarely have to change my strings (I fucking hate it). In fact, in the last year I've changed my pickups more than I've changed strings. They're not as bright as other brands when they're fresh, but from two or three days on...they stay the same, instead of getting lprogressively more dull like "normal" strings.
    @digitalscream  Ooh...  now I'm interested!  I'm usually slapping on the Fastfret (or lately, WD40!) to reduce the friction on my XLs.  I believe there are different types of elixir strings...  Would you recommend any particular flavour ?
    Sounds like they'd be a good fit - I've honestly never paid much attention to the differences between Optiweb and Nanoweb...someone else might be able to, but personally I'd say don't over-think it and just try 'em.
    <space for hire>
    I've just spent the past half hour comparing tensions and gauges, and my current EXLs are loading the neck to the tune of 90.8lbs.  The closest I can get in Elixirs is 94lbs with the custom light sets of either nanosecond or optiweb coatings.  It means going half a thou lighter on the top E and B, the G is the same and the D, A & bottom E are two thou heavier.

I don't mind the heavier bottom end but I'm wary of going lighter on the top.  I'm on the edge, tone wise of the 'weedy zone' with the current 9.5's.  If I jump to tens in the elixirs, the tension goes to 103lbs.  That's over 12lbs more than the current loading and I don't want to piss about with the truss rod or the setup.  The problem for me is my hands are weak and I have no calluses after not playing for about four years.  ....ignore me, I'm just thinking aloud here!

Right... I've worked it out...  A set of custom light nanowebs are right.  Slightly easier for my flabby hand muscles at the moment for soloing and the closest to the current tension so hopefully, adjustments to the setup won't be necessary.  I can move to higher gauges later if needs be.

/rambling.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Thank you  =)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    Strings Direct have an offer on NYXLs - buy 3 packs ( or 1 bass pack) and you get a free NYXL leather guitar strap. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6829
    Strings Direct have an offer on NYXLs - buy 3 packs ( or 1 bass pack) and you get a free NYXL leather guitar strap. 
    Well it's 'eco leather' which is plastic - load of marketing bollocks!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    mrkb said:
    Well it's 'eco leather' which is plastic - load of marketing bollocks!
    Is it? I never realised. Well, if anyone is after some very expensive guitar strings and a very cheap strap this is the opportunity you've been waiting for...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    I play 009-042. The cheapest price comparison I can find is from EBay:
    Richtone Music sell 10 sets of  D'Addario EXL120's for £44 inc free postage i.e. £4.40 per set. 
    3 Pack D'Addario NYXL Nickel Wound Super Light NYXL0942-3P £31.50 from Raddenset , i.e. £10.50 per set

So, at £6.10 more per set that's a lot of money.  To put this in perspective, I have 10 guitars and to restring them all with EXL120's is £44.00, with NYXL's it would be £105.00.   I'd be curious to try the NYXL's and if they were £2-3 more a set I'd try a set.  But a single pack is £12.50 which is three times what I pay for EXL120's.   At that price they're just way uneconomic so I'll stick with the EXL120's. 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26601
    edited September 2017
    Right, I feel I can pronounce my judgement on the NYXLs now...

Short version: I won't be getting any more.

Longer version: I bought 4 sets when I got my Helix LT, just because I was already spending money. This evening, I changed strings for the third time in a month - which, frankly, is ridiculous. They seem to get grubby and sticky faster than any brand I've ever used (including Ernie Balls and Rotosounds, and I absolutely hate those strings for their short life), and they seem to last about a week before becoming nasty to play. I've got a couple of sets left, and I'll probably just keep one set in each guitar case just in case of breakages.

I've got two sets of Elixirs kicking around, so I'm going back to those. I don't like the higher tension compared with just about all the other brands out there, but I'm happy to live with that given that they actually do what they say on the tin.

Disappointed, because I do like the added "zing" that the NYXLs give  I could accept this sort of thing in £5/set strings, but at £13-15/set? Unforgivable, I'm afraid.
    <space for hire>
  • neilgneilg Frets: 94
    Conversley I've got them on my Jem that I play everyday, the current set have been on a couple of months and they're still fine.
    Trouble is, Digitalscream's eyesight isn't great and he often mistakes a Pritt Stick for the Fast Fret.  We've all told him to get down to Specsavers, but what can you do?

Ask him about the time he mixed up the haemorrhoid ointment with the chilli sauce!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've heard these special coated strings can increase the rate of fret wear.  Any truth in this?
  • I hated the NYXL strings. I found them really toppy and horrible to play. My usual choice of string, GHS Boomers, so much better than anything else I've used. 
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 897
    edited September 2017
    Having used and been happy with EB Slinkys for years, I recently suffered some FOMO. Partly badgering marketing and partly the bad reputation that EB seem to have here. 
    I tried a few premium brands.
    NYXL I have not found to be terribly good or bad. I will not be rushing to buy them again.
    Elixirs, I still do not like even with the thinner coating. 
    EB Cobalts, I do like but can't help wondering if I am not being swizzed as only the wound strings are different from ordinary Slinky. 
    On @timmysoft's advice I will give Boomers a go.

Anyone tried M_STEEL?