Glasgow and Edinburgh boys POP IN for a MO

HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15980

Guys, one of TGP members has contacted me and is "pickin' my brains" for some info on a planned trip tae Glasgow and Edinburgh.........is there anyone here who can help me with some answers tae his questions?

I am not really familiar with Edinburgh and my getting out about the town days are well over, unfortunately

I would be really grateful, thanks  :) 

I'm taking the train from London to Edinburgh along the east coast on Nov 15. I arrive in Ed about 17:00 and have a room through AirBNB (super handy) in Ed (Gilmour Street -a few blocks from Waverly Station) on the 15th and 16th (getting a rental car and leaving sometime on the 17th). I need to be at Hadrian's Wall at about 21:00 -23:00 on the 17th. That's all that's firm

I'm interested in everything different. I want to do, see, hear, taste, etc. the best of the local/endemic/niche/obscure stuff. The stuff I won't experience elsewhere. What is important to the locals and why? Hearing traditional local music at a bar or coffeehouse would be awesome. It's not uncommon for me get a recommendation for unique restaurant and ask the staff to bring me whatever traditional food and drink they're proud of.

I'll get history and art from the blockbuster tourist sights during the day (none seem to be open at night - am I wrong about that?) on the 16th and at least the morning of the 17th. I have a ton of info on that.

I'm fluid, but thinking:

(1) I particularly need suggestions for things to see/do AT NIGHT in Ed on the 15th and 16th - traditional music (medieval lyre? bagpipe orchestra? or whatnot), places to walk at night, pubs with loquacious locals (the royal mile or elsewhere?), etc. ?

(2) I might leave Ed about 15:00 on the 17th, visit Stirling Castle until about 18:00, walkabout and eat at Glasgow until about 21:30, and drive to my room near Hadrian's wall (arriving about 22:30). - is that doable and, if so, where should I spend 3 hours sampling a bit of Glasgow? Maybe some traditional music? I heard it's "gritty" ... fine ... bring it on ... what is the best the grit has to offer?

(3) Alternatively, I could skip either or both Stirling Castle and/or Glasgow and spend more time elsewhere if suggested. Maybe I should skip Stirling and go to the Gallery of Modern Art in Glasgow?

(4) I'd like to hear about the old towns in Ed. I might walk one or more of them even if they are all closed up at night.  

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I visited King Mary Close quite late (9pm-ish) when I visited Edinburgh, that was cool and a great piece of history too.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15980
    Cheers Matt....keep 'em comin' folks  :)
    tae be or not tae be
  • I visited King Mary Close quite late (9pm-ish) when I visited Edinburgh, that was cool and a great piece of history too.
    It's Mary King's Close to be pedantic, but can also highly recommend it. Think I went pretty late too (8pm). Best to book in advance though.

https://www.realmarykingsclose.com/

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1247
    My thoughts are if they've got a car, go places that are a bit of the beaten track, but it depends what on what they're interested in.

Falkirk Wheel instead of Stirling Castle?
    Or skip that and go for a wander around Drumlanrig Castle, then a wander around Dumfries, although might be pushed for daylight.
    I'm struggling to think of much else, but I'm sure others can make plenty suggestions.

As for walking around Edinburgh. I like wandering around the bridges/national gallery, and over the grassmarket direction at night. Seeing the Scot Monument lit up, along with the castle at night without any daily hustle and bustle is good. Just got to hope they don't mind the occasional step or two!
    Can combine that with a wander to Greyfriar's kirkyard (mind they're not meant to touch the Bobby!).
    Other option is a wander up Arthur's seat, and get some good views across the city.

They could go for a wander to the north side of Princes Street towards Stockbridge and the Botanics, but at night there's not much to see. They're not as high, so you don't really get as good views compared with south of the Princes Street.

As for pubs, the pub opposite and along a bit from the Waverly Market Street entrance is good, and does some decent local food. If you're (un)lucky, you might even get a Gaelic band playing (last time I was there, it was pure luck if any notes/beats actually coincided!).
    The Oxford Bar is probably worth a visit for a classic local pub in the centre. The Standing Order (generic Wetherspoon) is probably worth a visit just to see it, as it is an old bank and quite impressive. Could even do all those as part of a booze cruise along Rose Street...
    And along the lines of Mary King's Close, are there still ghost tours running in November?
    great stuff Guys......and traditional Scottish music available anywhere?
    tae be or not tae be
    Probably be hard pushed for traditional Scottish music, certainly in Edinburgh.
    Although a quick search has thrown up https://www.list.co.uk/article/32373-where-to-find-traditional-music-nights-in-edinburgh/ and http://www.scottish-folk-music.com/folk-sessions/folk-sessions-edinburgh.htm

Also open mic nights can be found at http://www.outofthebedroom.co.uk/ootb/open-mics/

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5546
    edited October 2017
    Visit The Kelpies instead of Stirling. I've only seen them in the daytime and thought they were mesmerising but they get all lit up at night if evening suits better.

For Edinburgh, try the Royal Oak on Infirmary Street for trad music, and Mother India next door for Indian food, tapas style.
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549

Don't get the reference to Hadrian's Wall - unless there's something else called that, and which isn't in England (and a shitload more than an hour from Glasgow).

If he's not visited proper castles before, Stirling is well worth a visit - much better than Edinburgh Castle. After that, head to Callander, and then drive through the Trossachs to Aberfoyle (by Lochs Venachar and Achray). From there, head south to Glasgow. Beats hauling along the M8 when doing Edinburgh to Glasgow.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5420
    edited October 2017
    Off the top of my head...

Music:
    The Royal Oak does live music often- the first time I saw Kris Drever (check him out- he's great) was there. 

Similarly the Sandy Bells does folk ssessions daily (& is handy for the Old Town etc)
    https://www.sandybells.co.uk

Touristy:
    there are usually walking tours leaving from near St Giles on the high st. Try to find one that takes you to the catacombs- kinda spooky, kinda cool. 

The open top bus tours are a great way to see the city without walking your legs off- some of them take you to the New Town. I love Stockbridge/Dean Village/Botanics- Lots of nice pubs etc and Georgian architecture. 

The Modern Art Galleries are good & there's a free bus from the National Gallery on the mound. 

If the weather is decent, Arthur's Seat/Calton Hill are a nice walk (As is Botanics etc)

The National Museum is GREAT- the views from the roof are spectacular too. 

Food/Drink:
    Civerinos: Cool pizza place
    Vittorias: (Italian) Edinburgh institution 
    Calistoga: Good grill/steak place AMAZING wine
    Beer Kitchen: Owned by Innes and Gunn, food is good and the beer is impressive 
    Scran and Scallie: Gastropub owned by Tom Kitchin. 
    Affrogato: excellent gelato. 
    Howies- Good modern Scottish food.

Further afield:
    Crammond Island- walk along a causeway at low tide. 
    Roslyn Chapel- as mentioned in the DaVinci Code, but don't hold that against it!
    Stirling- Lovely picturesque & small. You can do most of it including the castle in a day. 
    Linlithgow- has a palace etc & is a short train ride from Edinburgh
    Glasgow- has everything you could want in a big city. 

Leith (which is NOT part of Edinburgh!)- has been massively redeveloped & has LOADS of things to see/do/eat/drink. It's far less touristy than Edinburgh is. (Some tour busses will go there, or just use public transport) 
    Royal Yaught Brittania is there- worth a look if that's your kind of thing. 
    Mimis Bake House- their "Before noon tea" is brilliant. 

Wow ^ many thanks  :)
    tae be or not tae be
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    The Wallace Monument.  264 steps up.  264 steps down.  Mind yer knees!

• Nitefly said:
    The Wallace Monument.  264 steps up.  264 steps down.  Mind yer knees!

The Scott monument in Edinburgh is LOTS of steps too & VERY claustrophobic until you get outside at the top. MrsLostSon didn't enjoy it. 
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    edited October 2017
    Sandy Bells and Royal Oak for traditional music and loquacious locals if you want to stay central. Head down to Leith if you want to make it more real - Carriers Quarters and the Central Bar both have a variety of music and even more characters! Guildford Arms if you want excellent beer, next door in the Café Royal if you want to not get a seat and wait too long at the bar.
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 214
    The Captains bar on West College street has folky sessions every night too, and it's less dingy feeling than the Oak.  The style varies from night to night, but it's bang in the middle between Sandy Bells and the Oak, so you could stick your head into each and decide which is to your taste that night. 
    many thanks Guys  :)
    tae be or not tae be
    any more thoughts/ideas/suggestions?
    tae be or not tae be
    any more B4 I get back tae him?
    tae be or not tae be
    any other thoughts B4 I get back tae him folks?
    tae be or not tae be
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Whistlebinkies is just off the RM and has live music pretty much every night, not traditional but for a musician it's a decent enough Pub.
    Rose street is back to back pubs, including a 'spoons if he's American and doesn't know what one is.  I quite liked the black cat on Rose st. 
    If he's never had Brewdog then there's one of those down in the old town.
    The best Battered sausage supper with gravy is to be found at Cafe Piccante just opposite the big cineplex at the end of Princes Street. 
    La favorita is allegedly good pizza delivery too
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100