Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Recommend me a book

What's Hot
DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5575
edited October 2017 in Off Topic
I don't want to derail the main book thread, so here we are.
I'm not much of a book reader but I'm going to Spain on holiday on Sunday and think I might pick something up for the flights. 
But what to get??

I don't like horror and not much interested in fantasy. I like crime or thriller, I like 'real' funny stuff like Danny Wallace, I like unusual stuff that makes you think like 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time'. Biographies and factual are good too. Nothing too heavy.

Any ideas? It needs to be something I could pick up in town tomorrow. Supermarkets/Waterstones/WH Smith.

Hit me!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I, Partridge. 

Not highbrow, obviously... but the funniest thing you’ll ever read. 
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2108
    edited October 2017
    'The Rum Diary' by Hunter S Thompson. A brilliant book. Not too long and not heavy. Set in Puerto Rico in the 50s and about a journalist who gets up to stuff. Highly recommended.

Roddy Doyle's Barrytown trilogy... The Commitments, The Snapper and the Van. All very good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 628
    edited October 2017
    Going to sea in a sieve, if you like Danny Baker it`s brilliantly funny and easy to read.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5575
    I've listened to the I, Partridge audio book in the car. Very funny!
    'The Rum Diary' might be alright, I've not read any Hunter S Thompson but I'm taking a tee shirt with me with a quote of his on the back.
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    How longs the flight to Spain nowadays? About 4 hours last time I went to Majorca. A few copies of the Beano would see you through.
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5575
    3.5 hours each way, direct from Aberdeen.
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1251
    For Crime, see if you can get one of Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole novels.
    Every one I've read is brilliant, and The Snowman has just been released on the big screen (probably one of the best books in terms of plot twists!)
  • FloofFloof Frets: 17
    Nile Rodgers' autobiography 
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    I used to like Bill Bryson, amusing travel adventure stuff, easy to read 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• Always been a fan of Dan Rhodes. Timoleon Vieta Come Home was a tremendous read. 
  • There’s the new Partridge book top of course. Still on my desk waiting to be read. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    Just looking at the WH Smith’s charts and it’s not very exciting. Possibly counter intuitive but Sarah Millican’s how to be Champion which has been serialised on Radio 4 and seems a lot smarter and funnier than I’d have thought. I do have a thing about memoirs written by women though
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9762
    I've just finished reading Set The Boy Free which is the Johnny Marr autobiography. Very interesting and very readable. I can't say I'm particularly a Marr fan, but I really enjoyed his book.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Secret History by Donna Tartt. 
    It's a murder mystery where you know who did it from the outset. It's clever and very well written. 

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/oct/18/donna-tartt-secret-history-modern-classic
  • The Humans by Matt Haig. Was what I thought of when you mentioned Curious incident. Different/funny/thoughtful perspective on normal life and all that.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    American Assasin (yes, the book they based the film on)
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    Anything by Jon Ronson is good for a flight.  Factual but mostly short pieces and usually humorous. That's if you haven't heard them on R4. Sort of Louis Theroux on the radio.

Alternatively, "A Confederacy of Dunces" might keep you entertained if by some chance you have missed it already.

Also agree on the Roddy Doyle (make sure it is one of those three though) an I enjoyed the Marr but I am a fan.

• fobfob Frets: 1431
    Round Ireland With A Fridge & Playing The Moldovans At Tennis, both by Tony Hawks. They follow the same formula: Tony makes a real-life bet in a pub and, instead of forgetting about it the next day, turns it into a bit of an adventure. They're essentially travelogues but packed with good-natured humour that leave you with a vibe that most people are really quite decent. RIWAF is the more popular one (and the first) but I'd give the edge to PTMAT if you're going to buy just one - it has a great twist at the end.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2627
    DiscoStu said:
    I've listened to the I, Partridge audio book in the car. Very funny!
    'The Rum Diary' might be alright, I've not read any Hunter S Thompson but I'm taking a tee shirt with me with a quote of his on the back.
    Aereogramme? If so i've got that t-shirt too
  • HAL9000 said:
    I've just finished reading Set The Boy Free which is the Johnny Marr autobiography. Very interesting and very readable. I can't say I'm particularly a Marr fan, but I really enjoyed his book.
    Another vote for this. Readable without being too simple. Found it hard to put down at times.