NPD: Barber - Sometimes 'Simple' Is Better...

What's Hot
WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9545
edited November 2017 in FX
I must admit, I've never played a bad Barber pedal. Every single one has performed, and performed beyond its simple design.

For some time, I played with a Barber Half Gainer and it was joyous.

In one band I played with a few years ago, I went through every OD I could find (you know how it is), and time and time again my humble white Barber Gain Changer was the one I turned to. Reliable and flexible, and one of the rare pedals that works at bedroom volumes AND live. Superb.

Maybe the only problem with Barber Electronics is that they seem a little boring compared to other over hyped pedals. David at barber is one of this games good guys it appears; always humble, often on the forums, and always offering sensibly prices pedals that work. Never overhyped either....

This one was bought for a mere £85, and is more than capable next to the (£500) KOT alongside it !

Highly recommended for low gain to high, and all in between.

GAS will always be there and come to the fore I guess, but sometimes I really need to remember what works, and that simple is best maybe...

Anyone else loving their 'sleeper' Barber pedals ?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6071
    Big fan of Barber. With a DD, GC and Tone Press you can cover most guitar sounds. I esp love the singing, smooth sustain of the Direct Drive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    Simple is always best.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Love ‘em. I’ve had most of his range and enjoyed them all although most have have been sold on now. I’ve kept a few of his ‘big box’ originals though including a Direct Drive, Ltd and Tone Press.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5275
    1. marginal gains if any when we buy the "big guns" all part of the madness...first pedals i had were barber, i know i will have been cured when i go back to them and realise the many thousands of pounds spent have been solely to fuel my need to buy stuff..
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • There's a nice demo here..

Not usually a fan of the Marshall tone but this pedal does sound very good, and versatile.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    edited November 2017
    Barber Trifecta = nice
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• EskiEski Frets: 35
    Hi @Wazmeister - how you keeping mate.  Thought I’d chip in on this one as my Trifecta is one of my favourite pedals.  Mainly use it as a boost but standalone fuzz is great as well.  Maybe we’ll catch up at some point.  All the best, Rich.
  • @Eski  -  Rich, all good thanks mate and you ?!

You know, never tried the Trifica... does it clean up well ?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    @Eski  -  Rich, all good thanks mate and you ?!

it's got 3 big muff type circuits, so not really
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    Good shout @Wazmeister - my Gain Changer  has been on my regular board for quite a while now. It does a great job of anything from clean boost up to distortion. Great pedal.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7877
    The Burn Unit is a fab pedal. But bulky though. 
  • I flippin' love my Gain Changer - it's been a permanent fixture on my board for the last 18 months or more since it was acquired.

I have a compact direct drive too that i will never sell but it's in and out of favour mainly due to how good the GC is. 
  • EskiEski Frets: 35
    @Eski  -  Rich, all good thanks mate and you ?!

We're good mate.  As Ro_S says not really but a great sound.
  • I was lucky enough to try one of these in Canada year ago. 

http://www.barberelectronics.com/echelon.htm

Beautifully built, excellent sound. David is definitely one of the good guys in the guitar world.

• Never tried the Direct Drive, but I did borrow a Gain Changer from @Dungus and I found the high end to be too fizzy for my tastes. Would be interested to try a DD one day though!
  • DungusDungus Frets: 170
    Yep, love my Gain Changer. Very flexible and has the right punchy tone/crunch that I love. They should probably be more expensive than they are, I got mine for around £70 and it has easily out-performed way more expensive drives that i've owned. Problem is they aren't even remotely cool. I had mine acid-etched to look like a Bob Ross painting. Nuff said.
  • I've always wanted to try a 1/2 gainer.
  • i had one of the mk1 direct drive pedals when they first came out, great unit.
  • There's a nice demo here..

Not usually a fan of the Marshall tone but this pedal does sound very good, and versatile.

fabulous demo, the tele and strat sound awesome, not so fussed on the humbucker guitars which sound like mud to me.
  • skayskay Frets: 394
    edited November 2017
    I bought a Gain Changer hoping to find the same sound as my 1/2 Gainer in a smaller package, but it sounded more congested and less open so got sold.

The 1/2 Gainer is excellent at low gain, and the mids dial along with the internal controls gives you so much scope for dialling it in, where the Gain Changer couldn’t achieve that same perfect light breakup sound I love. 

There was a good youtube demo of a guy playing a Junior and comparing these 2 pedals (by roknfrol or something), and it’s easy to hear what I experienced, where the Gain Changer sounds smaller than the physically bigger 1/2 Gainer. 

The point, the Barber 1/2 Gainer is a great sounding pedal, but it’s too big for my board and IMHO the Gain Changer is not a true substitute. 

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?