Mini Keyboards

Comments

• I've got one that I use as part of my portable laptop based system that I take on holidays. It's perfect for that type of use. For home use I obviously prefer a keyboard with full size keys.
    It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've got one that I use as part of my portable laptop based system that I take on holidays. It's perfect for that type of use. For home use I obviously prefer a keyboard with full size keys.
     In an ideal world I'd have an upright piano in the house but there is no room for that at the moment. Even a full size digital piano would be hard to find room for.
  • I’ve got the expanded version of this with the drum pads and rotary knobs. I also bought it for holidays, otherwise I don’t use it. Nothing to do with the keys themselves which while not great to play are functional, it’s that 2 octaves isn’t really enough range for me.

IK do a few 3 octave controllers but i haven’t tried them. They seem to do the 37 key ones in mini and full size options 

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/mobile/products/cat-view.php?C=controllers
  • Not used that particular keyboard but I bought an M-Audio Keystation Mini 32 thinking that I'd only use it for a few bits and that mini keys would be fine.

It quickly concluded that 2 1/2 octaves of mini keys just isn't great so I now use a Keystation 49 which has full size keys.  It's still reasonably compact and I just stand it up beside my desk when it's not in use.

If you're travelling then mini keys are probably great.  If like me you just want a small keyboard to use occasionally to get stuff into a DAW you may find it too small.
  • FWIW I think you need as many proper size keys as you can afford/have room for. I am lucky to have an upright piano, a Rhodes Stage Piano, a Hammond organ, and a couple of Yamaha electric keyboards. I couldn't capture a decent performance on an undersized keyboard, and wouldn't expect anyone to do so on a toy guitar either.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Okay thanks all - If I decide to get a keyboard I'll probably now go down the Yamaha NP12 route based on this feedback.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Okay thanks all - If I decide to get a keyboard I'll probably now go down the Yamaha NP12 route based on this feedback.
    Their digital piano controller app looks like a good way to learn
  • Okay thanks all - If I decide to get a keyboard I'll probably now go down the Yamaha NP12 route based on this feedback.
    I considered the NP12 but ended up with a PSR-353. More sounds :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    I just bought an Akai MPK Mini (25 Keys and pads) to start exploring non guitar sounds in logic and it’s really good fun. I was really sceptical about the mini keys but they’re perfectly useable. 

Obviously if youre a serious keys player then 25 tiny keys isn’t going to be enough but for my purposes its great. 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    I have a Novation Launchkey Mini, 25 key. Its really good tbh.