Getting old, going deaf and ear plugs!

What's Hot

Comments

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3098
    Another +1 For ACS. I've had my Pro17s for a year now and I won't leave home without them. Very illuminating hearing the end of the second set properly for the first time. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    p90fool said:
    Do they really attenuate all frequencies equally? I'd like to see some figures for that tbh. 

I know custom moulded plugs are meant to be excellent, the last off the shelf ones I tried sounded exactly like plugging in my wireless system and playing guitar from the pub bog with the door shut. 
    I've not measured it myself, but I think they do. Whereas other plugs pull the top end down leaving the bass like thunder in your ears, the ones I got made the band sound 'natural' but a lot quieter: I could still hear all the instruments in their 'normal' proportion.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27303
    p90fool said:
    Do they really attenuate all frequencies equally? I'd like to see some figures for that tbh. 

I know custom moulded plugs are meant to be excellent, the last off the shelf ones I tried sounded exactly like plugging in my wireless system and playing guitar from the pub bog with the door shut. 
    They're not completely flat, but ACS publish curves do you can see which freqnuecies are getting cut most. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • pmgpmg Frets: 299
    I’d love to find decent ones too, the fact I sing as well makes it harder as I still want/need to hear everything.. just quieter. 
    I sing and play guitar using ACS earplugs
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Cheers chaps... will deffo go for moulder as the cost isn’t a factor anyway.

i guess it’s a toss up between acs and the read audio.
  • EskiEski Frets: 35
    With or without grips and string?  Assume they are snug enough not to have to worry about them dropping out (even if things get a little sweaty and active)?
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    Another ACS pro 17 user here. 
    Whilst I find they're not completely flat response, I wouldn't gig/practice without them. 

What I may loose in "perfectly attenuated sound" is definitely made up for in lack of inflated tinetis for the next 24 hours 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8782
    poopot said:

i guess it’s a toss up between acs and the read audio.
    Mine are ACS too. IIRC @octatonic has tried both, and recommends Read Audio
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33850
    I have both and use both.
    On a motorcycle journey I use ACS.
    For band rehearsals I use ACS (because they are 3+ hours)
    On a gig I use Read Audio- either ear plugs or in ear monitors.

Read are technically better but they are less comfortable after an hour or so.
    edited March 2018
    octatonic said:
    I have both and use both.
    On a motorcycle journey I use ACS.
    For band rehearsals I use ACS (because they are 3+ hours)
    On a gig I use Read Audio- either ear plugs or in ear monitors.

Read are technically better but they are less comfortable after an hour or so.

Will give read a call tomorrow. I’m up near their office on Tuesday... will go and have a chat!...

Just to add... it’s nearly 24hours on and I still have ringing!... bit of man flu as well so that could have a bit to with it!... never been this bad after a gig!...
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    edited March 2018
    Like Mr. Fuego I spent a few years in a soul band stood in front of the horn section. A trumbet at 1m is capable of over 120dB and will make yer ears ring. Now I suffer from an overly loud drummist in another band. ACS saves the day although I still haven't got moulded plugs yet!

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2596
    tFB Trader
    poopot said:
    I just got some ACS custom molded plugs at the guitar show for the same reason, yet to try them out properly, but the set I got are meant to have a flat(ish) response
    I’m actually holding you fully responsible!... who said a 5e3 is “not loud enough”? :)
    I am sure I have a disclaimer for this sort of thing... somewhere

Tried the ACS plugs, work really well, couldn't hear Jooles asking me to help with the dishes at all.. win!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    poopot said:
    I just got some ACS custom molded plugs at the guitar show for the same reason, yet to try them out properly, but the set I got are meant to have a flat(ish) response
    I’m actually holding you fully responsible!... who said a 5e3 is “not loud enough”? :)
    I am sure I have a disclaimer for this sort of thing... somewhere

Tried the ACS plugs, work really well, couldn't hear Jooles asking me to help with the dishes at all.. win!
    That’s the added bonus in looking forward to “have to wear them all the time love, sorry” :)

how was the fit? Are they comfy?
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited March 2018
    My granddad had tinnitus from working in a factory. He used to carry a radio with him everywhere and I found out recently from my nan it was because the ringing noise drove him mad when he sat in total silence. He couldn't sit quietly enjoying his garden, or get back to sleep if he woke in the night. As well as protecting your hearing, earplugs might protect your sanity when you get older. 

I've got an old set of ACS ER-15s for motorbike rides and newer PRO 17s for music. Some uses for them have been; 

- Rehearsing,
    - Playing or watching gigs,
    - Spending all day at trade shows (such as the Guitar Show),
    - Drowning out the overall noise in a pub or other room full of people,

...and being able to hear somebody talking to you in all of the above. 

- Masking voices of people talking around you on train or coach trips, but still hearing tannoy announcements,
    - Undisturbed sleeping in a hotel or other place where people slam doors, but still hearing your alarm clock in the morning,
    - Cutting out wind noise on motorbike rides, but still hearing satnav directions or phone calls through in-helmet speakers.

Money well spent IMHO and improve the sound quality when watching other people's gigs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1654
    edited March 2018
    ACS moulded as well. Within a couple of minutes I forget I'm wearing them and everything sounds natural and balanced - exactly the same just quieter. They give you a free swap of the module thingy at first in case you want to up or down the attenuation.

My main band is a 10 piece and loud as hell on stage. When it gets to an interval and you pop them out and hit a chord at gig volume it's scary as hell.
  • dwheeldodwheeldo Frets: 65
    I've had ACS moulded plugs for ages now - they're great. Sadly I didn't get them in time to avoid hearing loss and tinnitus...my cautionary tale here:

https://static-in-my-head.blogspot.co.uk/2017/12/and-you-may-ask-yourself-how-did-i-get.html#more

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3183
    tFB Trader
    I use ACS Pro17s, sometimes I'll put them in and forget they're in there. Supremely comfortable and the flat-EQ attenuation is brilliant
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Really pleased to see all these responses agreeing.

There's been threads like this for years here and on previous incarnations of the forum, and it's great that so many of us are taking care of our hearing, it used to be a minority and loads of macho bs when it came to musicians using hearing protection.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399
    Another ACS user here, just gone moulded.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15644
    well, wash em more often then...

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom