Tuning down to E flat...drives me potty

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
I love the sound of guitar tuned down 1/2 step to Eb and tried it so many times on all types of guitar, it sounds particulalrly good on a Strat but just can't live with it, the loose tension makes the open strings rattle, chords bend out of shape, it just feels wrong. Even with .011s I can't stand it. 

Does tuning down really need such a change in technique and lighter touch? I notice it more when playing unplugged, plugged in with gain on the amp is not as bad.

God alone knows how Stuart Adamson could stand playing his SG2000 tuned down to D in The Skids.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    From the moment I could play one song good enough to try and play along with the album I’ve been tuned to Eb, I had a Strat with a modern radius but vintage frets with 12’s on and it felt the same to me. Now I can tune down to C# and not notice with the right set up. 

Perhaps try it on a guitar with shorter skinnier frets?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2470
    Are you trying strings with heavier bottom strings? 11’s with a 49 low E would still be too thin in my opinion. Try an 11-52 set.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    I love the sound of guitar tuned down 1/2 step to Eb and tried it so many times on all types of guitar, it sounds particulalrly good on a Strat but just can't live with it, the loose tension makes the open strings rattle, chords bend out of shape, it just feels wrong. Even with .011s I can't stand it.
    Try 12s...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2470
    Also, as it’s a strat you’re doing it on check the trem isn’t contributing to the loose feel? If you have 3 springs try upping it to 5 to give a tighter feel...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    Seems odd - I'm often tuned to Eb and don't notice any real difference apart from somewhat looser strings (but honestly the difference is negligible to my hands) - and this includes light picking, strumming as well as heavy thrashing and everything in between. Might depend on the scale length? I've only used 25.5 scale length Teles/Tele-style guitars so perhaps they're more forgiving with the lack of trem etc and strings through from the back, etc. I actually prefer the Eb tuning, especially with the top string tuned down to Db - and would keep it that way if I didn't have synths to stay in tune with. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    Eb makes singing loads easier so I'd always do it in a band I was in charge of. 

Never had any problems on a Tele with 10s. I use Elixirs which may be slightly stiffer due to the coating. 
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4784
    My prog covers band used to play "Dogs". For the strumming guitar part to sound right it needed to be played as per the recording with the guitar tuned down a tone to D. I went from 10s to 11s on the guitar (hardtail Strat) and the strumming sounded great. However, I was the only guitarist in the band and had to play those Gilmour lead parts, too. 2 frets higher than he did. The intonation needed adjusting to cope. 

So, I ended up taking this guitar to gigs for just one song. And that's one of the reasons I don't play prog covers any more and only do my own stuff...

FWIW, I also tried a Mobius pedal to digitally downtune the guitar. It worked surprisingly well as far as tuning was concerned, but sounded terrible on clean tones (fine when filthy).

Back on topic: Eb can be good if your singing voice has trouble hitting the notes, and doesn't make the guitar feel too different to play - unlike D. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited May 2018

I might have to have another go and leave one guitar in Eb for a couple of weeks, I think I change back too quickly to the comfort of std tuning. I really prefer the sound of Eb.

I grew up playing in std and many of the songs I play along to are in Std (The Jam, Sex Pistols, Clash, Beatles etc.)

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    We play everything in drop C sharp (how do you do a hash symbol on a Mac?) and it feels completely natural. I use a LP with 54-11's but with a 20 G 
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    edited May 2018
    Option + 3 for hash symbol on Mac
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • deloreandelorean Frets: 224
    How strange, all of my guitars have been tuned to Eb on a permanent basis for the last 10 years or so, but I have no issues with open string buzzing etc.

I play strats and super strats - 10s on the strats, and 9's on the super strats - never any open buzzing, rattling etc.

Could it be setup-related?   My tech knows that I only play in Eb and so my guitars are always perfect when I get them back from him.

Have you tried a Digitech Drop?  I use one for a couple of songs where we need to drop a semitone to D - works a treat, both  with and without filth added.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    delorean said:

Have you tried a Digitech Drop?  I use one for a couple of songs where we need to drop a semitone to D - works a treat, both  with and without filth added.
    These do work very well. The guitarist in my band has used one down as far as C, it sounds remarkably natural and not obviously 'pitch shifted'.

The only problem we found with it was that it's fussy about power supplies and can introduce noise into fuzz pedals if on the same supply.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bignormbignorm Frets: 191
    edited May 2018
    I tried the möbius when it came out and ditched it coz it just sounded crap.
    I now have a Degitech Drop which is much better providing you don't expect it to go any further than drop C. 

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    this is a tuning that needs 'an ear' as a mechanical tuning device is not subtle enough for the overtones...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I alternate between down a semi and concert pitch depending on what band I'm with. I noticed on Friday I was over bending everything cos I was giging in E flat after being in concert for the last 6 gigs or so ... plus I was on a Gibson scale length and not the usual Fender
    I've been thinking of going up to 11's for E flat bands 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    bignorm said:
    I tried the möbius when it came out and ditched it coz it just sounded crap.
    I now have a Degitech Drop which is much better providing you don't expect it to go any further than drop C. 

I've used an EHX pitchfork to the same effect for Eb/D standard/drop C. You notice a change in tone but it's subtle and definitely usable in a live setting.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I play exclusively in drop c. I like the strings to rattle. I use 10.5-48 on my PRS.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Set up the guitar again?
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I'd rather learn to play in another key than change the tuning of my guitar
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    I’ve found not tuning to Eb to be the best solution....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom