Damage caused by guitar techs

What's Hot

Comments

• Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    Paul_C said:

I'm amazed/horrified at some of these stories, especially the ones where people get charged extra - I could never charge someone for work that they didn't ask for, and certainly not if it was work that was fixing a fault of my own.

With hindsight, I was happy with the job but shouldn't have paid extra  for routing I didn't ask for, seeing as I provided a copy of the product's fitting instructions.

Like maybe other people in this thread, I collected it i a hurry, 5 minutes before the shop shut.  Lessons learned... ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Paul_C said:

I'm amazed/horrified at some of these stories, especially the ones where people get charged extra - I could never charge someone for work that they didn't ask for, and certainly not if it was work that was fixing a fault of my own.

With hindsight, I was happy with the job but shouldn't have paid extra  for routing I didn't ask for, seeing as I provided a copy of the product's fitting instructions.

Like maybe other people in this thread, I collected it i a hurry, 5 minutes before the shop shut.  Lessons learned... ;)
    There are a good few people who wouldn't have been happy, as ICBM says, all it takes is a phone call to get a go-ahead or not
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2396

Does anyone know a reliable, trustworthy and decent guitar and bass tech in Manchester?

@Musicman20 The Guitar Repair Workshop in PMT on Regent Road. Steve and his team are fantastic, honest and do good work. Steve's an official registered Gibson and Taylor repair tech as well, for what it's worth. His neck repairs look amazing!
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    timmypix said:
    Steve's an official registered Gibson and Taylor repair tech as well, for what it's worth. His neck repairs look amazing!
    For Gibsons, they'd have to ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3216
    edited May 2018
    John_A said:
    John_A said:
    Haych said:
     I've found one who is incredibly competent and charges next to nothing.  He does it for the love of doing it and he's always busy and always has good customer feedback.  If he can't do something he'll tell you straight up rather than attempt and cock it up.

Are you going to tell us who this is?  Sounds like quite a find
    For me my version of this is Howard Smith in Leicester, I know a number of us here use him and he’s in many ways the Steve Robinson of the East Midlands -one of the good guys.
    Howard was the guy that buggered up my Fernandes
    Wowed and shocked by this, clearly not as good as I’ve experienced. How recent was the Fernandes episode? 

Apologies also to @SteveRobinson ;, he’s clearly not the Steve Robinson of the East Midlands based upon this tale!
  • dwheeldodwheeldo Frets: 65
    Some shocking stuff on here. I once went to collect a guitar from a well-respected tech, who lifted it out of its case and straight into a door frame, headstock first... and this was a Gibson that'd already had a neck break repaired! It caused a tiny bit of lacquer damage, but thankfully nothing worse.
    John_A said:
    John_A said:
    Haych said:
     I've found one who is incredibly competent and charges next to nothing.  He does it for the love of doing it and he's always busy and always has good customer feedback.  If he can't do something he'll tell you straight up rather than attempt and cock it up.

For me my version of this is Howard Smith in Leicester, I know a number of us here use him and he’s in many ways the Steve Robinson of the East Midlands -one of the good guys.
    Wowed and shocked by this, clearly not as good as I’ve experienced. How recent was the Fernandes episode? 

Apologies also to @SteveRobinson ;, he’s clearly not the Steve Robinson of the East Midlands based upon this tale!
    Oh it was 5 or 6 years ago.  Like many on this thread once it had been messed up I fell out of love with it and sold it on.  It was his attitude that really wound me up, he said something along the lines of 'If you bring a guitar to me I decide what needs doing to it not you'  and 'it needed a fret dress anyway' which it absolutely didnt.

Currently have a guitar in with Nigel Roberts for some major work, he's been great to deal with but havent seen the results yet :)
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited May 2018
    Currently have a guitar in with Nigel Roberts for some major work, he's been great to deal with but havent seen the results yet
    I think you'll be pleased with Nige's work - he's done some fantastic repair and setup stuff for me on a couple of guitars.He doesnt half like to talk though! FTR I've had a less than brilliant experience with HS too
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3216
    John_A said:
    John_A said:
    John_A said:
    Haych said:

Oh it was 5 or 6 years ago.  Like many on this thread once it had been messed up I fell out of love with it and sold it on.  It was his attitude that really wound me up, he said something along the lines of 'If you bring a guitar to me I decide what needs doing to it not you'  and 'it needed a fret dress anyway' which it absolutely didnt.

Currently have a guitar in with Nigel Roberts for some major work, he's been great to deal with but havent seen the results yet :)
    If possible would really appreciate if you could let me know how that goes.
    If possible would really appreciate if you could let me know how that goes.
    Will do - Heard lots of good things about Nige - so we'll see
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 762
    That sounds like a litany of disaster....

I played a guitar at the weekend that @SteveRobinson had refreted that was was beautifully done. Sounds like there are people out there who should be avoided....
    If this was the Gibson Semi which @guitars4you had, then I completly agree - lovely repair work by Manchester Guitar Tech @SteveRobinson
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    I've had set ups done by both Steve Robinson and Steve at PMT, great work by both and nice blokes too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    That sounds like a litany of disaster....

I played a guitar at the weekend that @SteveRobinson had refreted that was was beautifully done. Sounds like there are people out there who should be avoided....
    If this was the Gibson Semi which @guitars4you had, then I completly agree - lovely repair work by Manchester Guitar Tech @SteveRobinson
    Yes it was
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6685
    I had a Yamaha SG2000 for sale in a shop in Brighton (this was many years ago, the shop is now a hairdresser) and it was black and immaculate and somehow whilst they were "looking after it" for me, they took a sizeable chunk out of the neck lacquer. A huge chunk down to the wood and enough to really feel. I was livid, particularly when they said that they'd have to sell it for a bit less due to the damaged neck. Someone who worked in the shops as a (ahem) technician, tried to cover it up with some ink. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    Where's @jonnyscaramanga when you need him?

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice Beetlejuice \m/
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    solar said:
    I took an acoustic in to a local shop to have a strap pin fitted on the side of the neck heel, close to the body.

Me while dropping it off: "It's a left handed guitar, but it's non-cutaway so it looks symmetrical - make sure you put the strap pin on the correct side of the neck!"

Him: "Of course, no worries".

Me two days later, phoning him to check whether it's done: "Is it done yet?"

Him: "No, but it's next on my list! It'll be ready by the end of the day."

Me: "Don't forget, it's left handed, so please make sure you put the strap pin on the correct side of the neck!"

Him, slightly annoyed that I'd reminded him again: "Of course, I'm not an idiot".

10 minutes later my phone rings, it's the tech: "I'm so sorry, but I've drilled the hole on the wrong side of the neck".

He filled in the hole and didn't charge me for the job, but every time I play that guitar and see that little filled hole it annoys me.
    That's inexcusable really, I'd have been devastated, seriously. He should be struck off, if only it were possible.

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6685
    solar said:

He filled in the hole and didn't charge me for the job, but every time I play that guitar and see that little filled hole it annoys me.
    You foot meeting his testicles would have made a really musical sound. Wouldn't have un-drilled it though.... 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22898
    merlin said:
    I had a Yamaha SG2000 for sale in a shop in Brighton (this was many years ago, the shop is now a hairdresser) and it was black and immaculate and somehow whilst they were "looking after it" for me, they took a sizeable chunk out of the neck lacquer. A huge chunk down to the wood and enough to really feel. I was livid, particularly when they said that they'd have to sell it for a bit less due to the damaged neck. Someone who worked in the shops as a (ahem) technician, tried to cover it up with some ink. 
    I had a similar - though not as bad - incident when I tried to sell my old Hamer Vector on commission at Andy's in Denmark Street.  They had it for ages and it didn't sell so I took it back again.  Where it had been hanging up by the neck they'd managed to chip the paint quite badly on both sides of the headstock.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    timmypix said:

Does anyone know a reliable, trustworthy and decent guitar and bass tech in Manchester?

@Musicman20 The Guitar Repair Workshop in PMT on Regent Road. Steve and his team are fantastic, honest and do good work. Steve's an official registered Gibson and Taylor repair tech as well, for what it's worth. His neck repairs look amazing!

Cheers!
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Same as with cars really aint it. 

The amount of times I’ve dropped it off at a dealer or garage to come back to a scuffed wheel or a lil dent or something is amazing. 
    Or the whole ‘your xx bulb is gone, want us to replace it’ when I only checked them half hour earlier myself.. could have happened obvs but unlikely. 

I take pictures on the day just before dropping it in incase. Maybe I should do the same with my guitars! 

The only easy day, was yesterday...