SG Classic - Buffing out some grazes

What's Hot
robertyroberty Frets: 10893
edited July 2018 in Guitar
Fnarr!

Picked this up earlier today ('06 SG Classic in Ebony) and it has some chaffing/grazes where the previous owner had kept the strap on (fnarr) in a gig bag.

Some T-Cut followed by Gibson polish and a damp cloth has helped but I reckon it could be a steel wool jobby as you can feel the surface is uneven.

Any tips for a novice?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Here's a full frontal view btw.  Going to get some Gerwitz Guitar Honey on the fingerboard.  Is the Eternashine scratch remover worth checking out or is that basically T Cut?

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    I’d leave it...

It looks nice from the front and you will probably replicate the wear on the back eventually even if you do buff it out now. 

Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • benecolbenecol Frets: 400
    Aaaargh! That's the one in Cardiff I've been watching on eBay for ages, isn't it?

Can I call dibs?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Agreed. I've always found buffing out scratches and marks without a proper polishing wheel and enough paint on to be the road to madness..
    benecol said:
    Aaaargh! That's the one in Cardiff I've been watching on eBay for ages, isn't it?

Can I call dibs?
    Yes this the one that was in Cardiff.  Yes I'll give you first dibs if I decide to flip.  I'm picking up a Les Paul Special from the classifieds tomorrow, so the likelihood is one of these guitars will stay and one will go

The polishing on the back has helped a lot actually, I'm quite surprised.  Will maybe give it one more going over and then leave it.  It was pretty messy before though

The fretboard is a bit dry, in fact the whole guitar seems very dry, but in a good way.  There is light tarnishing on the metal parts so I'll give it all a good soak and give the frets a rub with a magic cloth

The nibs are a lot smaller than on new Gibsons, are giganto-nibs a new thing?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    Agreed. I've always found buffing out scratches and marks without a proper polishing wheel and enough paint on to be the road to madness..
    Do you know what the first sign of madness is?

Suggs walking up your garden path....
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Eternashine is way better than T-Cut but I've only used it on poly. I don't have any nitro guitars.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3463
    You need 2000 grit wet and dry to remove the scratch then a polishing compound to polish it up, if the scratch is below the clear coat then I wouldn't bother.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3463
    Dont use wire wool.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    robgilmo said:
    You need 2000 grit wet and dry to remove the scratch then a polishing compound to polish it up, if the scratch is below the clear coat then I wouldn't bother.
    Thanks, yeah it's through the clear coat. The T Cut has stained the abrasions now and it's very difficult to see. Thanks for the advice

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Nice guitars, though, aren’t they! 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

usedtobe said:
    Nice guitars, though, aren’t they! 
    It does seem nice and I'm definitely a fan of the spec! It needs a setup though, when the Gerlitz arrives I'll give it a good clean and setup. I don't think I've ever played a bad Gibson guitar, must be one of the lucky ones ;)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Do you know what the first sign of madness is?

Suggs walking up your garden path....
    Second Sign is a sticker over your house number?
    Actually a really lovely piece of rosewood now it's got a some oil on it.  I wonder if this means that the rest of the guitar is dry too:

I couldn't ever find any info on the internet about how the pickups are mounted on these.  For those interested, the brackets would need to be adapted for mini humbuckers.  There's a plastic spacer between each pickup and the bracket, presumably to minimise the effect on the magnetic field:

And the hardware is getting a nice bath in some WD40:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Really appreciate you going to all this effort for me ;)
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 471
    Nice guitar! I wouldn’t bother too much about the marks on the body it is a used guitar after all. A well used guitar is bound to have picked up a few dings over 12 years use, it would be very suspicious if it was blemish free.
    edited August 2018
    @benecol did you see the SG classic in the classifieds?  Up Manchester way I think.  It's cherry

@Henrytwang it's had some light use I think, most of the scratches are from it being carried in a loose gig back with the strap attached, and there's some strumming marks.  It hadn't been played for quite a few years I'm guessing, the neck relief was way out and the board was very dry, corroded strings

Taking it to a tech soon to have some soapbar HBs fitted (heresy!), didn't fancy drilling through the mounting plates

The plan is to mount these P90s in my 50s tribute and get that guitar up for sale.  It's a similar spec (same neck profile and colour) with an aftermarket small pickguard
    I saw! Not a fan of faded finishes, but appreciate the heads up . 
    Glad (and sad!) it's working out for you. Reckon you should leave the P90s in though ..