Marshall 1974X

What's Hot
kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
I've read online that these amps have had issues with the transformer. It appears to be on earlier versions of this model, does anyone know if these issues still exist or they've now been fixed on the current models? Or is it all just baloney?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    It has been fixed as far as I know.
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    I think it got fixed in 2007, so anything after that will be fine.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    Ossyrocks said:
    That depends how fixed fixed is...

I haven't had to replace any 1974 transformers yet - from before or after the 'fix' - but I've changed more Marshall transformers than every other brand put together. It's puzzling why they just can't get it right when other companies (mostly) can.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Ossyrocks said:

I haven't had to replace any 1974 transformers yet - from before or after the 'fix' - but I've changed more Marshall transformers than every other brand put together. It's puzzling why they just can't get it right when other companies (mostly) can.
    This is why I can never trust in a marshall amp purchase :( 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    edited November 2018 tFB Trader
    @ICBM said:
    Ossyrocks said:

Are those warranty repairs or out of warranty repairs?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    Modulus_Amps said:

Are those warranty repairs or out of warranty repairs?
    Out of warranty. Although they were nice enough to send me a Vox AC15TBX (which they built) PT for free since it was a known 'batch problem' with those.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I've read online that these amps have had issues with the transformer. It appears to be on earlier versions of this model, does anyone know if these issues still exist or they've now been fixed on the current models? Or is it all just baloney?

Been running my 74x for about 5 years now and apart from a loose bit of Solder it's been working fine. A cracking amp and just overdrives without much effort.

“Ken sent me.”
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    I love mine. I did upgrade the speaker to an Alnico Gold, which did make a big difference.

I have been planning other upgrades too, but just not got around to them yet. I got given a full set of Philips Mustard capacitors for it, all NOS, plus all NOS Mullard valves, and I have a piece of EC Collins pinstripe for it too. One day I will get around to it, but it sounds great just the way it is.