G&L Love

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Fuengi said:
    Sesh said:
    I worry I might come across as a G&L evangelist. And I've only played one, and that's the one I own (tribute fallout). It not perfect, but it is my number one guitar (not great competition to be fair) and I would recommend them to anyone. I would certainly like to try out, and have the cash for, a few US models. 
    PMT Pompey is my localest big store, and I don't get there much. I may avoid it now so I don't have to make any gas/divorce decisions.
    I find the new PMT Pompey setup slightly intimidating. The staff are great, but to be presented with a huge wall of locked guitars doesn't make me want to try any. They do have the sound rooms I suppose. 

What are the music stores like in Southampton @Sesh ? We went over to the Titanic Museum a few weeks ago, that was the first time I've been to Above Bar for about 20 years, it was all looking in good order. 
    My dream would be a guitar shop would be a big wall you can just take ones down yourself to try without being talked to.

Always feels a bit awkward trying them with the salesman coming back and asking what I think. Puts me off trying them out unless I'm actually visitconsid buying it that day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    They're like Fenders but with all the little niggles sorted out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    thegummy said:
    Fuengi said:
    Sesh said:
    I worry I might come across as a G&L evangelist. And I've only played one, and that's the one I own (tribute fallout). It not perfect, but it is my number one guitar (not great competition to be fair) and I would recommend them to anyone. I would certainly like to try out, and have the cash for, a few US models. 
    PMT Pompey is my localest big store, and I don't get there much. I may avoid it now so I don't have to make any gas/divorce decisions.
    I find the new PMT Pompey setup slightly intimidating. The staff are great, but to be presented with a huge wall of locked guitars doesn't make me want to try any. They do have the sound rooms I suppose. 

What are the music stores like in Southampton @Sesh ? We went over to the Titanic Museum a few weeks ago, that was the first time I've been to Above Bar for about 20 years, it was all looking in good order. 
    My dream would be a guitar shop would be a big wall you can just take ones down yourself to try without being talked to.

Always feels a bit awkward trying them with the salesman coming back and asking what I think. Puts me off trying them out unless I'm actually visitconsid buying it that day.
    I can understand stores not wanting grubby hands all over £1000+ instruments.

Before PMT bought Nevada Music the guitar room was great, all reachable and mostly unlocked. You could spend hours in there and I bought a few guitars off them. 

The guitars stored out of the dedicated room were not so good, the strings seemed to tarnish quickly due to the uninsulated space they were in, must have got moist in the night / morning. 

PMT have sorted that out and the staff are much better trained (same staff as before) than under Nevada. Also the store is much better organised. 

But, despite the refit it feels to me a much less welcoming place to try guitars.

Sassafras said:
    They're like Fenders but with all the little niggles sorted out.
    Got an example of what you mean by this @Sassafras ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    I've been a big fan of G&L for many years and have had some great Teles from them .. including these two 

www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    I have a Korean made Tribute ASAT special, like @Anchorboy 's bottom image, except mine is a sort of tobacco burst swamp ash. Same bridge and pickup arrangement.

Lovely guitar. At the time I bought it, it was a noticeable step-up from the basic Mexican Fenders. I haven't compared with the Indonesian made ones, to compare quality. I think the Mexican Fenders are better quality now than they once were.

Mine has a middle-sized Fender-ish C shaped neck, which is very nice. Not the greatest Fender style neck I've played (which have been on expensive US made models), but still very nice to play.

I think the big MFDs are fantastic pickups, but they may not suit everyone. They don't have that slightly hollow 'papery' sound that I associate with the best Fender single coils (a sound I really like). It's a bigger more hifi sound, with more bottom end, and a smoother top. Lovely, though.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9684
    Anchorboy said:

ASAT Special?

What does it sounds like? I’m guessing that not having the traditional Tele type bridge means that it sounds a bit less ‘twangy’ than a regular Tele? 
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    @hal9000 Yes - 30th Anniversary ASAT Special. Still "twangy" but plenty of balls when you need it
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • I've never played a USA G&L I didn't like. I don't even mind the headstock. If I wanted a modern "Strat" for less than boutiquey money they'd be top of the list.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1949
    The G&L ASAT is better than the Yamaha 1611 Mike Stern - The hardware and pickups play a big part and the the neck profiles are like those on a pre-production Charvel, especially if you avoid the vintage gloss.
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    thegummy said:
    Fuengi said:
    Sesh said:

I found this at PMT in Newcastle. I was helping my mum choose an acoustic and while she was trying a couple of different ones I had a quick play on a Jaguar (Mexican, maybe around £400?) I liked the look of. Seconds later a staff member appeared and asked me not to take guitars off the wall as I wasn't insured to do so and I might break it. I was completely off put so didn't bother trying anything else.