Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Uber-Flipper

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I don't like it because it inflates prices to the point where people believe that there's some elusive mojo going on with really quite mediocre pedals.
    Might not be illegal but it doesn't sit right with me.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Mike58Mike58 Frets: 162
    Yep, seems crazy to flip on the same platform within 24 hrs.
    if they are rare or maybe rare in UK then you missed an opportunity to sell at a higher price. If they are not rare, then the seller is misleading
    But the ad clearly states that the Chorus pedal produces beautiful Chorus-y tones..... lovely.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I sold a mildly rare guitar over summer - nothing crazy but best part of a grand and a model that was only made for a few years so a bit of a collectors piece. I delayed it for ages because it was my first real instrument and I had to practically wrench my hands off the case in the end, but it was sat there and I needed the money. Got a slightly low offer from a guy on FB who offered to collect and I'd seen him around a lot so and knew he was a player so wanted it to go to someone who would use it.

He turned up on the Friday to buy and loved the guitar. Went on at length about different things he could use it on, then handed over the cash. Before he went I made it clear it meant a lot to me and put him on a promise to offer it back if he ever wanted to sell it and I would scrape the cash together. Very sad but glad to see it go to a new home etc etc.

Went up on ebay on the Monday for 500 more than my original asking price. I was tempted to lay into him but ultimately he'd paid what I'd asked for and I'm above shouting at a grown man for breaking pinkie promises. Just struck him off the future transactions list and moved on.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    edited February 2019 tFB Trader
    Not sure I see the issue? Two pedals sold pretty cheaply and relisted for a higher price. 

Original seller has his money and the new seller (should he sell them) has made a profit. 

The platform is irrelevant imo.

I’m assuming you guys aren’t into reclamation/salvage/anitiques? Drew Pritchard anyone? This is how the world works. 

What bothers me is a) the fact that the guy is asking a higher price yet you see more of his bloody flowers than the pedals and b) I didn’t see the original ad first.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Why are some of you obsessed with hunting down and pointing out sellers doing what you consider to be wrong? 

This particular seller isn't doing anything wrong.  It doesn't seem like any of you are considering buying so I don't see what the problem is.   

If he's scored a bargain in the beginning and makes a few quid by reselling for a much higher price then fair play to him.   

These threads stink of elitism - as if some of you lot have so much experience buying and selling gear that it gives you a right to point out perceived faults in what other people are selling.   
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    edited February 2019
    Facebook is a guitar shop now? Hmm. I might have to join up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2198
    I just think its pretty pathetic that some people have the time and inclination to scavenge the used gear market for opportunities to make a couple of quid by lying to and abusing the good will of genuine sellers.

(Yeah, I'm bitter.....)  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I don’t mind people buying for profit - sometimes sellers just want a quick sale without the hassle of postage or waiting for the right buyer, which is where the middleman steps in with ready money and patience to wait for a good deal on resale. But the story from @borntohang sums up what’s wrong about some flippers - they actively lie and indeed do abuse sellers’ goodwill, which they then convert into money. Morally repugnant. There’s no need for it. Just turn up with the cash and say nowt.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12901
    edited February 2019
    Why are some of you obsessed with hunting down and pointing out sellers doing what you consider to be wrong? 

This particular seller isn't doing anything wrong.  It doesn't seem like any of you are considering buying so I don't see what the problem is.   

If he's scored a bargain in the beginning and makes a few quid by reselling for a much higher price then fair play to him.   

These threads stink of elitism - as if some of you lot have so much experience buying and selling gear that it gives you a right to point out perceived faults in what other people are selling.   
    This forum---and others, to be fair---has long been obsessed with commenting on what others choose to do with their own possessions when selling them. Its bizarre. Once you bought it, its yours. Do what you want with it. 

The only time I get irked by so-called flipping is when people are dishonest about it  i.e. a chancer gives you a sob story about needing an instrument for their son's birthday or something so that you'll take pity on them. Thats definitely not cool, but if the original seller happily sets and accepts a price for something then after that do whatever you want. 

Now, personally speaking, if i pick up a bargain on here I'm inclined to pass that on again within the forum - but only because I'm fortunate enough that buying and selling gear has no impact on paying my bills at the end of the month. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • I can see it from both sides of the argument. I obviously buy guitars to resell, but do it as a business now. In the 1990s I was a teenager when the first free ads papers started to become popular. In my area we had 'Trade It' ... prior to that selling used gear wasn't easy. You generally P/X'd it, sold it to a mate, a shop, or paid to put it in the local rag classified section. If it wasn't dirt cheap it wouldn't sell. First the free ads papers, and then the internet, Ebay etc etc changed everything.

With guitars there are a lot of bedroom traders about. It's kind of sad in a way, that when literally anything that's priced a bit low gets advertised .. it's snapped up by one of these guys and then immeditely re advertised at a (sometimes barely worth bothering with) higher price...  But then that's how commerce, and the internet works these days... I guess guitars don't suffer from going out of date, fashion and generally hold their value well... so they are an ideal product for the bedroom flipper.

Julian

Owner of the New (in 2019) guitar shop in Frome, Somerset. Coffee House Guitars. Selling a range of high end used guitars.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Caveat emptor
  • LogieLogie Frets: 443
    I had a cheap old Ibanez RG and Marshall Valvestate amp for years and was quite happy but went to see a guy called Larry Miller about 15 years ago and loved the sound he was getting out of a Strat. Sold my stuff, used the money and bought the first USA Strat I saw on ebay that was within my meagre £370 budget. Loved it except for the colour so put it on ebay a few months later and it went for £520. Hang on......... !
    I always wanted but could never justify buying a Les Paul, so I thought I'd try and see if I could build up to that. Over 10 years I've had PRS, Tom Anderson, Gibson, Musicman, .J Custom Ibanez, top end Fenders and I never cheated or took the piss out of anyone. I've played and owned some fantastic guitars that I never would have had the chance to otherwise and I got to meet some nice people along the way. Not everybody has £3000 to spunk on an R7. Sometimes it's a journey to get what you want.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    It really depends on  intention and integrity. 
    I picked up a super cheap rivera 2x12 for £200 on Facebook last year. The amp was sold because the guy didn't have long to live. He even said i could flip it and make a profit, it's not something i would dream of doing. 

I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • LogieLogie Frets: 443
    I had a similar story with a Tele. When I went to pick it up a lady answered the door and it turned out it she had been widowed for 10 years. It was the last guitar he'd bought and she'd been there when he bought it. She was moving away to Spain for a new start and decided to let it go. I rarely play it as I tend to gravitate to my Strat but I'll never sell it as it'd feel like a betrayal somehow. My grandson will be getting a nice heirloom and hopefully it will inspire him to play.