Popular pedals that you hate.

What's Hot

Comments

• Tubescreamers for me too, had a Keeley mod one and although it sounded fine through a Marshall it was shit through the HRD no matter what I did with tone controls on either. I hated it to the point I thought a valve was going in the amp. Perhaps it was badly modded but I don't know, and it's gone now!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    I think there are quite a lot of effects that in recording are much better if applied after the fact, in stereo -- chorus, most reverbs and delays etc. A chorus pedal through an amp, in mono, won't ever sound as good as something like a Roland Dimension D at the mix.

I had a Boss DS1 once. That was truly horrible.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Any pedal that's described as ideal for 'ambient' sounds.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I'm not going with hate, but rather find a) the hype doesn't live up to my experience b) can be annoying at times. 

Line 6 Helix 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • I wouldn't say hate, but I wasn't keen on the EHX Metal Muff.

Bye!

• randersonranderson Frets: 187
    edited April 2019
    The entire past, present and future line of Vertex pedals. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    I only heard good things about this pedal prior to having a go on it, but when I tried it I was much disappoint. Step forward the Hardwire SC-2 Valve Distortion. It's a shame because the CM-2 is amazing.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3215
    Chorus pedals in general lose me, they always feel dated to the sound of the 80s and I struggle to move them beyond a sound I find a bit too clinical. I’m the same with 80s style reverbs.

Equally and despite being a fan of rocking out, heavy distortion/fuzz pedals targeted at metal just don’t appeal -not that I dislike fuzz, just not when it’s being used like that, I guess I’m too traditional or just too country. ;)
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    Helix.

Emperors New Toanz.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5169
    edited April 2019
    Lebarque said:
    Got to be Tubescreamers for me. I've tried to like them, but to no avail. They just sound hard and lacking bass.
    I’m glad it’s not just me... I’ve tried Hudson Sidecar, Jesse Davey Duellist twice, Greer LightSpeed etc but I just can’t get on with overdrive/tubescreamers... thin nasty things that lack bass... unless I’m using them incorrectly. The only one I haven’t tried is a TS808... perhaps I should have started there s
  • FenderishFenderish Frets: 47
    are all tubescreamer haters also early pearl jam haters then ? :anguished: 
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    Never rated the ocd or the king of tone. Never liked the majority of EHX pedals either. The only ones I’ve ever liked were the small stone and small clone I used to have back in the early 90’s. I think their pedals are poorly built to be honest and noisy. 
    I’ve also never found a pedal by Keeley, either his own designs or modded pedals that I’ve liked. Not sure why. There’s a quality to the sound that grated on me.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Went into Tiger Music in Brighton intent on getting a Tubescreamer. Came out with a Vintage Rat instead.
    I've never understood all the fuss about the OCD either. It's got to be one of the most over-hyped pedals going.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    randerson said:
    The entire past, present and future line of Vertex pedals. 
    Roger that.
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    edited April 2019
    jdgm said:
    Nevermind the true bypass, Hendrix was using a CBS era strat! If only he'd had access to a Custom Shop Masterbuild to access those vintage 60s tones scream 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27014
    I used to hate Tubescreamers, but actually like them quite a lot now, based on my cheapie Surfing Bear, which is meant to be a fairly standard clone. 

I also liked the Hotcake into my old VC15, but never quite got comfortable with it into anything else, especially Fender types. Maybe I should try it again in Bluesberry mode.

I wouldn't say hate, but I never liked the Strymon Timeline - tried one and found it harder to use than the Timefactor and not as good sounding either. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited April 2019
    Rat
    I really, really, really, want to like it.
    I've held on to it for years and it's been on nearly every board... for about a day then I take it off.
    Just can't seem to love, or even like it.  Basically:  it's harsh but not in a good way.

• Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    I don't think I'd buy another TC pedal again. I've had about 5, and sold them all.

There wasn't anything really _wrong_ with them, and they all made some sounds I liked, but there was something hard to describe which seemed to flatten my sound in some way, and make it lifeless. I'm not a brand snob, I've a Mooer that I like, and most of what is on my board is cheap (but well put together) clones I made myself. But ... something about the TC pedals (I don't know if it's the A/D D/A conversion, or how they voice their pedals, or what) I couldn't live with.

I've never been able to find a fuzz that I really like, although I do like some Muffs, and I like the Skreddy Lunar Module. But most fuzzes do this thing to the bottom end, and add a square-wavey clipping feel that I just can't stand. They can sound good when others use them, some of the time, but not for me. Maybe a Tonebender would do it.
  • Any pedal without soft switches.

Why release a boo-teek pedal for £100s and then shove a cheap popping footswitch on it? Urgh.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom