DOD BUZZ BOX

What's Hot

Comments

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    I've seen them sell for that exact figure on eBay now! Ha ha. Mine will be worth fuck all after my mods, but I dearly love it. When my bands eps are finished you can play spot the BUZZ BOX if you fancy?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2938
    Is the Buzz Box not very very similar to the MXR Blue Box? I remember reading that somewhere... both are frigging mental.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72796
    Yes, it sounds like a beefed-up MXR Blue Box.

If you're going to rehouse it, I wouldn't bother with a Klon buffer or anything. It is what it is and trying to make it "boutique" is not going to improve it… probably the opposite.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

It's not so much about being boutique as when I took it out of my chain my clean tone improved massively and I want to sell my only other buffered pedals.
  • Well, don't quote me on this, but I was always under the impression the buffer was switched out of the circuit when the circuit was engaged. No doubt there are some that are not like that (a tubescreamer has a buffered input I think) but that could ensure you get the same great buzz box, but a better bypass signal. Alternatively, you could remove the buffer completely and go true bypass. Might have much the same effect, though if you like a buffered signal, you could build a klon or similar buffer yourself from pedalsparts.
  • Also, why has this not been reversed?! Such a huge sound. Matt Bellamy would find use for one, and I reckon even I could use it. And I'm not a huge fuzz lover!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72796
    edited January 2014
    Deijavoo said:
    It's not so much about being boutique as when I took it out of my chain my clean tone improved massively and I want to sell my only other buffered pedals.
    In that case have it re-housed with true bypass - cheaper and easier. You could then bypass the switching altogether (which is where the problem is, and might also be responsible for the tone problem because it's broken rather than because it's no good) if you do that.

Don't try to fix a buffer problem by adding another buffer, it doesn't work - the bad (or faulty) buffer is not "sucking" tone, it's actively modifying it. Adding a buffer before or after it will just lock that in. A good buffer will help with the suck from a lot of true-bypass pedals though - if you have more than a few true-bypass pedals or a long cable from the board to the amp, you will need a buffer.

Well, don't quote me on this, but I was always under the impression the buffer was switched out of the circuit when the circuit was engaged.
    No, that type of switching is buffered whether or not the circuit is engaged.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Cheers ICBM!

Getting ready for it's new enclosure and TB upon ICBM's sound advice.

Have a wisdom biscuit sir!

Worth jack shit resale now I'd say but I'm keeping it. Get it back Wednesday, gonna be a good week I hope.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    And here we have it

I love this pedal but I'm just not using it anymore in my new band....

What would the consensus be on a value for it as it is now? 

I still have all the original housing, but when it was modded as true bypass it needed a bigger home hence the big purple. That change seemed to make it even more extreme too. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Keep it because it's rare, you love it and one day day you'll regret selling.

Or, I'll give you a tenner. ;)
    I've seen originals sell for anything between £150-£200 but as I've modded it I can see a tenner being closer in truth despite being better. 
  • How come you made it true bypass? Was it a tone sucker or just unreliable?

I remember the thread, but can't remember the outcome.

In all seriousness, you're bonkers if you sell it, regardless. You bloody loved that thing.
    When it went wrong on me I took it out of my chain and the tone clarity was just so much better. I originally wanted to put a good buffer in but then on a few recommendations went for tb. It's so much better now, but it does seem to be more extreme when engaged. 
    One on eBay for £130 just now. 
    edited October 2015
    Any of you guys want this?

I haven't used it since June 2014 so clearly no use to me, I've put it on eBay but would do a realistic price on here obviously. The reality is that in the new housing I have no idea what it is worth so I took a punt on there.

@meltedbuzzbox I believe would like a look, for looking's sake.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3483
    It sounds like something I could dial up on the Fuzz Factory I used to have.
    BUZZ: It’s called the Buzz Box, and it is put out by DOD. I had nothing to do with it. I mean, does my guitar really sound that bad? [laughs] The guys at DOD are kind of crazy; I have to give them credit for that. A guy there was always bugging me at shows about how we got the sound on the Eggnog record. I used this thin called a Blue Box, an octave divider from the early Seventies. So this guy says, “I want to design a pedal; we’ll call it the Buzz Box and get that sound out of it.” But it wasn’t so much that he wanted to do an endorsement or anything. I think he just likes the sound of it. So he came to one of our shows an looked inside the Blue Box. He kind of duplicated it and combine it with the Grunge Pedal in a new pedal. I have to admire DOD for putting out something that insane. Yes, the Buzz Box is totally worthless. It sounds like a vacuum cleaner. [laughs]
    The King!