Bikes? Bikes!

What's Hot

Comments

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited June 2014

I planning on getting a 29er now thanks to some advice.  29er...stupid mountain bike speak...Probably a 2013 Kona Mahuna with hydraulic brakes or a used something with rock shocks for the same money.  I figure since the kid in me cannot resist doing trails at lightspeed,  random 180's and jumps, there is no way a hybrid bike or road bike will stand up to it.  I already have a hybrid, third set of forks and I've bent the feck out of it to be honest.  Now the axles are sheared I can't be bothered with it. 

Mountain bikes.... I do have a pet hate for, given the friction and effort required on roads, small wheels, thick tyres and small, cumbersome and lumbering, heavy frames especially caused me to be in two minds about it.  But seeing the latest fad for big wheels on mountain bikes and new technology, together with cheap light frames, it seems a plan is coming together. Lockable front shocks, a small but 20" frame and 29 inch wheels, maybe with semi slicks and a strong and light frame, not up for 40 foot jumps but enough for a trail and a 180 or two.

But yeah, I can see the male bike obsession becoming as bad as the guitar collection, especially given the price of components.  But I smoke so take the whole thing with a pinch of salt, don't think it'll become that bad.  As long as I don't look like a trekky with an orange frame, full suspension and all the parts and stealable wheels or emasculated and a total dork on a cheap halfrauds machine I don't care really, I reckon one of these 29er's that looks like a rat rod will do the job for me.

So 29er, there you have it, definitely something to consider.  From memeory I think my rims on my hybrid are 28's, so at 30" with the tyres, it's almost a straight swap.

And if you buy used, the frame has essentially already been reliced for you, adding value.  Although last year's models are competitive.

Actually, although I'm keeping the BMX, the only thing that puts me off Kona's is the frame, it's tall, more like a hybrid and I think I'd prefer something with the correct geometry and an extended seat post but more chuckable, like a BMX.  I guess something more like a jump bike....look at me...talking the mountain bike bullshit already!

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • oddballoddball Frets: 248
    My choice of Steed (do love Bianchi's though, nice choice on that one)

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z257/oddball13/GIANTDEFYADVANCED1_zps90c18dee.jpg

got some very nice Sugoi cycling threads last week, feeling i might do some big miles this summer if the weather holds out
    edited June 2014

Bet you can't pull wheelies on it though eh.

Road bikes are for people with polished hardwood floors.  Nah.

edited June 2014
    To be honest, unless there is a miniramp involved or a pub crawl or some obscene jump or trail or view, I can't be bothered cycling on the road.  Doesn't matter how aerobically fit I think I should be, it just doesn't cut it for me.  Memories on twice weekly 13 mile each way journeys with a 35kg amp and guitar on my back to band practice when I was a youth kind of put me off.  It just seems banal, plus you have to deal with HGV's, windy A roads, holding up traffic and Audi drivers and you look a right twat in lycra pants. The most fun I can remember in my cycling days were trying to stay on the bike long enough coming home from the pub, not to write off someone's front hedge or fence.  It was such a laugh, 5-10 mile journeys would become complete missions that would take all night until the early hours.  Some nights, you never made it back at all.
    It still looks like new Thermionic because you haven't crashed it...just saying.
  • Sambostar said:

I figure since the kid in me cannot resist doing trails at lightspeed,  random 180's and jumps, there is no way a hybrid bike or road bike will stand up to it.  I already have a hybrid, third set of forks and I've bent the feck out of it to be honest.  Now the axles are sheared I can't be bothered with it. 

Simple solution. Learn 360's, much less shearing force on the bike. Set up for a 180 but faster and higher and just keep spinning! ;)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    Yeah on a BMX, but ON a  mountain bike?  What would you recommend?

I'm glad you spoke you Littlegreenman, I was beginning to think I had drunk too much on an empty stomach after a sun fried day and was surrounded by old farty, unplayed 50's Stratocasters in glass cases hard wood floor lovers.  I just don't get the appeal of road bikes and spandex...they....just break? 

And furthermore, the great irony is that these same cyclists are the first to jump on Steel Panther for their ridiculous themes and taste in stage wear.

• First time I had a go on a mountain bike I just thought, "it's a big BMX" and rode accordingly ;)

And road bikes can be fun too!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Wow...I didn't know that.  I'II shut up now.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158

Orbea Orca Gold with SRAM RED and Carbon wheels. 6.6 KGs of speed.

Fixies are the bike of choice of Dalston Hipsters (and Madrid ones). Seriously Naff, especially the ones called "No Logo"...

• littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5000
    edited June 2014
    Evilmags said:

Clamped to a turbo trainer in your kitchen! ;)

Just kidding, nice bike, very Español :)
    That´s my building site/new house. The basement there will soon be an entertainment room/studio. I got a serious bargain on the bike from a shop that was in administration. It´s basically the team Euskatel bike, so very Spanish. Bikes are cheaper over here, yet guitars are way more expensive.  
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9656
    A Euskatel team bike is Euskadi, not Spanish, surely?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• A Euskatel team bike is Euskadi, not Spanish, surely?
    Good point. Probably makes it an even more appropriate bike for Mags given that the Basques are more akin to Celts than the Spanish. Nice flag too!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2d/Flag_of_the_Basque_Country.svg/1000px-Flag_of_the_Basque_Country.svg.png
    Orbea are Basque as well actually, part of the Mondragon Cooparative. They sell themselves as Spanish mind you as Euskadi is not much of a market. Euskadi is a lovely place with the exception of Heriatok Tavernas (ETA bars, nasty). San Sebastian is probably Europe´s nicest beach town.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I want a bike now. 
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    Excellent taste there @ROOG, I've had mine for 15 years and it still looks new:

I also have a plastic one:

In fact, I have the same number of bikes as I do guitars...
    Seriously nice pair @thermionic, I lusted after a master for ages, trawling the forums, bikeradar <cough> London fixed speed plus the usual evil places. It is a keeper, although my old bones prefer the plastic bike!

• ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    Evilmags said:

Fixies are the bike of choice of Dalston Hipsters (and Madrid ones). Seriously Naff, especially the ones called "No Logo"...

@Evilmags that's the one that kicked it off for me, I ogled the cream and black one in Webbs of Warmley's shop window for months, I just couldn't find the cash at the time.

• KarlosKarlos Frets: 512
    Evilmags said:
    Fixies, reminded me of this song - probably a repost as it's not new but it's defo funny.

(the artist formerly known as KarlosSantos)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom