Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Dear Cover Bands......

What's Hot

Comments

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    usually played too fast, IMO, which kills the vibe of it.
    Guilty as charged, but the original pace just sends people to sleep. 
    It doesn't if it's played well.

Many (most?) bands make the mistake of playing songs too fast live, to the detriment of the groove.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:
    I've never heard Get lucky. I haven't followed chart music for a couple of decades now. I have to say that I'm intrigued though, I'll look it up when I get home from work.

you probably have, bits of it anyway. It was just on everything for a few months last year ( in the background of a TV trailers, etc). It was one of those things were you think ( or I thought) this won't work as a cover because it's a production more than it is a song. Notably Nile Rodgers ( ie the guy who played guitar on it) didn't play it live, even when it was in the charts.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17637
    tFB Trader
    This is my new band practicing the outro to our version of Superstition:

We aren't trying to do it like Stevie, but I think we get some of the groove :)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27111
    edited September 2014
    EricTheWeary;356324" said:

you probably have, bits of it anyway. It was just on everything for a few months last year ( in the background of a TV trailers, etc). It was one of those things were you think ( or I thought) this won't work as a cover because it's a production more than it is a song. Notably Nile Rodgers ( ie the guy who played guitar on it) didn't play it live, even when it was in the charts.
    Actually...

(But he's only just started doing it - this was in June this year.)

EDIT: this one is proshot with decent audio. Different gig, but much more audible guitar:

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8722
    jpfamps said:
    Superstition is another song regularly butchered.
    Guilty as charged. I positively murder it with a heavy wah sound, but they still get up and dance.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • That 2nd clip brought a real big smile to my face :) Thank you!

He's a real legend.

• stickyfiddle;356353" said:
    EricTheWeary;356324" said:

Actually...

(But he's only just started doing it - this was in June this year.)

EDIT: this one is proshot with decent audio. Different gig, but much more audible guitar:

I stand corrected. Taken him a while to do it though!
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Thankfully we've dropped Get Lucky from our set. It was fun to play for a while, the audience loved it and I got to use an effect called a Growler so was all good but like everyone else, we're just sick of it.

I've heard plenty of excellent sub £2k (or even sub £300!) covers bands over the years and a butt load of truly terrible £2k+ bands too.

A bigger production with lights, lasers, smoke and a mini stone henge count for shit if the band can't play well. But then, the things we perceive as good or bad in a band aren't necessarily the same as the average punter. I'm sure I enjoyed watching other bands more when there was still some mystery to it and I didn't focus on whether the guitarist was overusing his phaser etc.

One thing that really fecks me off though is the notion that covers bands are somehow not as "authentic" as originals bands. Not pointing fingers but for example, I have a colleage that's played in mostly original bans that looks right down his nose at cover bands. I've played in both exclusively or as a combination at various points and enjoyed both. The main factor in both was the interaction between the band members and how they combined to produce something musical and entertaining that brought me enjoyment. My approach to both has generally been the same, trying to find that place where I fit in that makes the song better, regardless of whether I wrote it, my band mate or one of those Beatle dudes. :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969 said:
    If I never hear a cover band play that or clap along again I won't miss em
    Really sick of both those tunes now ...... Oh and Ceelo greens forget you !
    Yeah and i'd add Happy to that too, I never got why it was popular as its so bland!!!

Actually my band plays Happy and it goes down really well. Although we do OUR version with added guitar solo and Sax. If it's a good groove, harmonies added, and performed with a creative flair these songs DO go down well. 

Albeit most pub bands do them note for note. Sometimes a song calls for it but it's much more fun to do your own take and that will came across to the audience. Only my opinion of course :)

Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Wisdom for @Longtallronnie

I don't enjoy cover bands much as tend to watch/listen with my musician ears and not my punter ears. But I've heard more crap expensive ones than crap cheap ones if I'm honest.

As for the snobbery thing, I think it stems from rock as an art form and form of expression. Folk music developed as a storytelling medium, where it's about the song itself. Rock is very often about showing off or expressing pain - I think some feel that doesn't work so well if the person performing isn't the person who was originally making that statement.

I'd love to be there in 200 years and see what of modern (i.e. post 1950's) pop and rock are still being played and in what context. I don't imagine it'll be the same as now in shit pubs and sweaty clubs or as classical music is in concert halls and theatres, but I have no idea where it will end up.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    tFB Trader
    I think the trick with Get Lucky is to appreciate that it's very repetitive and work out ways to liven it up a bit. 

Interestingly though I don't currently do it with my new band my old band did and we did the same approach of making the first verse ballady without drums. 

We also used to go into "Around The World" by Daft Punk as it's got the same progression (though in a different key)
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10419
    One thing I saw over here in Nashville and Memphis from cover bands is awesome harmonies Every single band had at least 3 people who could sing a great lead vocal so the 2 or ; part harmonies were great

But then these bands play for tips so fhey depend on their skills to bring in the tips
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    tFB Trader
    Danny1969 said:
    One thing I saw over here in Nashville and Memphis from cover bands is awesome harmonies Every single band had at least 3 people who could sing a great lead vocal so the 2 or ; part harmonies were great

But then these bands play for tips so fhey depend on their skills to bring in the tips
    We have a Texan singer in the new band and she was really surprised we didn't get tips.
  • Danny1969 said:

Agreed on the harmonies, while we're certainly not the beach boys we spend a lot of time on themt. They can add so much power to a song and go a long way to making you sound more "professional".
  • FezFez Frets: 526
    Wish I could sing great harmonies, the bass part in Summertime Blues is my limit.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • BodBod Frets: 1315
    Meh, I'll play what I want.  I don't care if it's bad, or not like the original.  I'm having fun, and that's what it's about.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • LongtallronnieLongtallronnie Frets: 1201
    edited September 2014
    I still don't understand the theory behind it and have to feel for it. Sometimes I can hit a harmony straight off the bat and other times its trial and error. We don't have set roles in the band as far as harmonies go either which can get difficult. The bassist can sing the highest but sometimes it sounds better if he goes low and I go high etc.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    We do it one of my bands - we have 3 singers and do a lot of harmonies/overlapping vocals. We merge and mash up a lot of songs and as it's the same progression as John Newman's "love me again"  it's an easy medley.   
    A rock funk version of "you got the love" into "love me again" and then into get lucky with vocals of love me again coming back in at the same time to end it.    Takes a bit of effort to sing and play the right groove but seems to get people dancing.
  • My heart sinks when bands wheel this out. It might be overtaking Mustang Sally as the Cover Band Song I Hate The Most.

Those two vids just show me that not even the guy that co-wrote it can make it sound good live, so what chance has anyone else got?
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    jpfamps said:
    Superstition is another song regularly butchered.
    Agreed, but weirdly the same band that slaughtered Get Lucky done a wicked version of superstition!