Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Splitting humbuckers to sc's - worth doing or not?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• mike_l said:

I have a couple of bucker's which I wouldn't split. The Bulldog in my Jackson (from @Van_Hayden ) sounds really, really perfect (to me) without anything to split it (exactly as I asked for). I think trying to put a split would spoil either the 'bucker or the single sound, and neither would be great.

Also I wouldn't split the pickups in the Charvel, as this would be wrong for the guitar (think 80's hair metal), the pickups would (I think) split nicely in a different guitar.

There is no detectable difference between the sound  a humbucker with four conductor wiring and one with 'vintage' so you might as well have the option.
    Dave_Mc said:
    Depends on the pickup- it can sound a bit meh, but I figure you might as well have it since you aren't really losing anything either.

I haven't tried the more involved solutions like the resistor things.

Also interesting that ICBM said he didn't like parallel wiring for getting single coil tones- me neither (in my limited experience with it). On other forums you get the usual know-all types "Oh parallel is superior because it's still hum-cancelling and it sounds more like a single coil than a split"- to me it didn't. I quite like it in my Legra V, but then it has higher output pickups and I wasn't trying to get a single-coil type of tone with the parallel wiring. But if I'd been trying to get single coil tones, I'd have been disappointed, to me it just sounds like a lower output, brighter humbucker.
    The resistor thing is actually very easy: on Gibson colour coded pickups splittlng is accomplished by connecting the 'series link' wires (green and white) attaching a suitable resistor to that wire pair ... then switching the output of that resistor to ground ... thus shorting out a coil.
    And I don't think parallel wiring sounds like a single coil either!!!
    Ash... Noob question incoming :)

What colour scheme do your pickups use? I lost the instructions so I'll be following the duncan wiring diagram... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11595
    tFB Trader
    The guitar in question has BKP Crawlers in it - so the bridge is a big fat HB and the neck is a bit more vintage 
    If you had push pull pots in it you could experiment relatively easily to ee which option sounds right for you Jon

I do think that the parallell option seems a bit neutered, although the straight split or split with resistor options may suit you.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• ForgeForge Frets: 431
    I have just done the resistor mod to my Jag and liking the extra body. Worth a try!
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    The resistor thing is actually very easy: on Gibson colour coded pickups splittlng is accomplished by connecting the 'series link' wires (green and white) attaching a suitable resistor to that wire pair ... then switching the output of that resistor to ground ... thus shorting out a coil.

Stupid question alert, but what does the resistor do (compared to just wiring a coil split the usual way)?
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    mike_l said:

I have a couple of bucker's which I wouldn't split. The Bulldog in my Jackson (from @Van_Hayden ) sounds really, really perfect (to me) without anything to split it (exactly as I asked for). I think trying to put a split would spoil either the 'bucker or the single sound, and neither would be great.

Also I wouldn't split the pickups in the Charvel, as this would be wrong for the guitar (think 80's hair metal), the pickups would (I think) split nicely in a different guitar.

There is no detectable difference between the sound  a humbucker with four conductor wiring and one with 'vintage' so you might as well have the option.
    To clarify, I was trying (probably badly) to say that on that specific pickup a split would have been a compromise on either full 'bucker, or split single, not that putting a splitting switch in was a bad idea.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

Yeah that's what I've always heard.

I suppose one advantage of "vintage" wiring is that if you knew you were going to put it in a guitar that you had no intention of fitting splits etc. to, it might save a little work when it came to soldering? That's about the only advantage I can think of though (aside from vintage accuracy/aesthetics), and it also has the obvious disadvantage that if you decide to move it to a different guitar that you would like to fit splits to you're in trouble... :))
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    Dave_Mc said:
    Stupid question alert, but what does the resistor do (compared to just wiring a coil split the usual way)?
    It shuts off the second coil slightly less than fully, so you get a bit more humbucker 'body' to the tone. Oddly, this can make it sound *more* like a proper single coil than a fully-split humbucker, which tends to have a lower resistance/inductance and hence can sound thin and a bit lacking in punch.

The value for the resistor is surprisingly low, and critical - too low and it's too close to a full split, too high and it doesn't split enough. The right value is dependent on the pickup - both its resistance/inductance and which position it's in - too, so there is no one correct value. For example PRS uses 1.1K and 2.2K for the neck and bridge pickups respectively. It may be best to fit a small trimmer (eg 5K) at least until you've found the 'sweet spot'.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

^ Excellent, thanks :)
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10416
    I like the reverse tone control trick, wire the centre tap of the pickup to centre tab of  tone pot and short one end tab of tone pot to ground. Winding down the tone pot now shorts one coil to ground and you get the brighter thinner sound without having to add push \ pull pots or switchs. 
    Modded an SD equipped LP copy the other day in this fashion and it works really well. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    Danny1969 said:
    I like the reverse tone control trick, wire the centre tap of the pickup to centre tab of  tone pot and short one end tab of tone pot to ground. Winding down the tone pot now shorts one coil to ground and you get the brighter thinner sound without having to add push \ pull pots or switchs.
    You can do it the other way too, if you want a normal tone control as well - connect the coil split to the top end terminal of the tone pot. (This requires the middle terminal to be grounded, not connected to the cap - but easily reversed if it's the other way round.) That gives you the coil split with the knob at 10, full humbucker with it around 8, and normal tone control below that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10490
    edited September 2014 tFB Trader
    mike_l said:

Dave_Mc said:
    Depends on the pickup- it can sound a bit meh, but I figure you might as well have it since you aren't really losing anything either.

I haven't tried the more involved solutions like the resistor things.

Also interesting that ICBM said he didn't like parallel wiring for getting single coil tones- me neither (in my limited experience with it). On other forums you get the usual know-all types "Oh parallel is superior because it's still hum-cancelling and it sounds more like a single coil than a split"- to me it didn't. I quite like it in my Legra V, but then it has higher output pickups and I wasn't trying to get a single-coil type of tone with the parallel wiring. But if I'd been trying to get single coil tones, I'd have been disappointed, to me it just sounds like a lower output, brighter humbucker.
    Ash... Noob question incoming :)

What colour scheme do your pickups use? I lost the instructions so I'll be following the duncan wiring diagram... 
    I use the Gibson code: screw start black, screw finish green, slug start red, slug finish red. so the white and green are connected and tied back. Red is then hot, black and bare wires then go to ground.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Snap. Swap green and white and you've got BKP.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10490
    edited September 2014 tFB Trader
    I always thought I'd just go for the the colour scheme that is most logical to my UK brain ... with red as 'hot' and black as ground :-)
    Yay we have some UK maker consensus!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• I had my Lag Jet apart today to fit a new 5-way switch. While I was under the scratchplate I thought I'd experiment with the partial coil split described above on the Duncan Screamin' Demon in the bridge (HSS setup).

The Screamin' Demon replaced a JB I had in there before and , whereas I much prefer the sound of the Demon over the JB in humbucking mode, the coil split sound was a little weak (the JB was better when split - not surprising as the JB is 16.4k and the Demon is 10k).

I used the resistor to ground method - I soldered a couple of thin wires that I could run out from under the scratchplate when the guitar was reassembled and then experimented with a few resistors attached with crocodile clips. I started with the PRS values mentioned above (2.2k for bridge) and then tried a few other values around that, settling on 1.8k as my preference.

I've now permanently soldered in that 1.8k resistor and the split sound is subtly warmer and fuller. Well worth experimenting with if (like me) you haven't tried this before.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Intriguing. I went for a straight coil split on my BK crawlers, very much like the neck and both together, not quite so keen on the bridge split. Overall works very well for me though, just what I wanted.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I have a Suhr SSV in the neck position of my guitar. Really love the humbucker, as well as the split sound. Great variety, as a result I use the neck much more than the bridge.