Nut Files

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• asimmd said:
    Hi All

Everyone tells me building/modding guitars is addictive,but if my first build goes badly,then I 
    doubt i would do another one.

Alan

My advice is to do one of two things. Either buy the proper tools, get some expert advice and do the job properly or, to take your guitar to a tech and let them do it.

The half way measure is dicking around with all sorts of bodges and workarounds which potentially (and invariably does!) goes wrong and costs you time, money and heartache.

The only reason I say this is that i have tried every single method described above and, guess what? I ended up buying the proper Hosco files.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    I used to use Normans Nut files (simlar to the feeler gauge type above but made from tool steel) and found them ok but lost there edge quite quickly. I've recently bought these nut files via Hong Kong http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=141010931723&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:GB:3160  haven't used them yet but the files themselves look good quality.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • a point that I haven't seen mentioned is the difference in the results with files that are tapered versus those that are classed as flat, round joint files. 

a product such as this http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Types_of_Tools/Files/Double-edge_Nut_Files.html   tapers to the specified width . 

If you really want to minimise any nut related problems with strings binding and the consequent tuning issues that can occur, you don't really want a nut slot that tapers. 

• GruGru Frets: 339
    I tried the welding tip files and the low 3 strings are ok, but the GBe files were way too soft and took an age.

I've don't two with them, but would seriously consider a proper set, or just taking them to a pro to get done, weighing up which will be cheaper in the long term.