Good cheap reverbs? Old rackmounts?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    You can pick up spx900 for sensible money also consider yamaha Rev 5 and 7.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33849
    ^ Delay line?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    Slapback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I'll second the SRV330. Excellent reverbs with some very realistic spaces. I particularly like the plates on the '330 and it's great on drums! The Quadraverb is rubbish at realistic reverbs, but you can get some lovely noises on guitar. The internal routing is quite flexible, making it good for ambient and shoegazey genres. I ended up getting two of them! I feel it world be remiss of me not to mention the Boss SE 70. It does an awful lot for such a little box. The reverb is good, if not outstanding, but the delays and modulation effects are wonderful. It also has an analogue front-end, i.e. the overdrive, distortion, compression, etc. again, I ended up with two of them.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 661
    I had an Alesis Nanoverb for a while, worked great and did reverse reverb if that's your bag.
    I have a Behringer RV600 now which does me proud.
    ^ Delay line?
    ^ Delay line?
    ^ Delay line?
    ^ Delay line?
    ^ Delay line?
    ^ Delay line?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ^ Stereo Delay.
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    I have the Studio Quad and still love it. Great sounds, easy to program and so cheap nowadays. I still have a rack unit simply cos I won't get rid of this!!
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5180
    I have the Studio Quad and still love it. Great sounds, easy to program and so cheap nowadays. I still have a rack unit simply cos I won't get rid of this!!

Maybe you'll know then @hubobulous- can you still use the parallel effects routing configurations if you're using it in mono? The manual makes it look like they automatically route a mono input to stereo outputs.

Can it really do eight voices of pitch shifting? I presume it's standard '90s pitch shifting that gets all confused and spits out digital nonsense when you play chords.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

Maybe you'll know then @hubobulous- can you still use the parallel effects routing configurations if you're using it in mono? The manual makes it look like they automatically route a mono input to stereo outputs.

It has percolated away in the back of my mind- I am pretty sure you can end up summing everything to mono- you would do this in the last effect module.
    You might end up with some phase problems this way, of course.

Can it really do eight voices of pitch shifting? I presume it's standard '90s pitch shifting that gets all confused and spits out digital nonsense when you play chords.

Yes it will glitch and the pitch shifting really wasn't very good.
    The only stuff that sounded vaguely passable at that stage were the Eventide boxes.
    They don't compare to modern pitch shifting though.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1269
    Not old, not rackmounted, a bit of a PITA in terms of size and power requirements but I think the Blackstar HT Reverb is really, really, really good...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5180
    JayGee said:
    Not old, not rackmounted, a bit of a PITA in terms of size and power requirements but I think the Blackstar HT Reverb is really, really, really good...

Doesn't have to be rackmounted, just reasonably cheap and good. I figured older racks might be a good way to get something cool since they're unfashionable and "outdated", but designed to be more flexible and have more deep editing capacity than your average guitar pedal.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    octatonic said:

It has percolated away in the back of my mind- I am pretty sure you can end up summing everything to mono- you would do this in the last effect module.
    You might end up with some phase problems this way, of course.

Yes it will glitch and the pitch shifting really wasn't very good.
    The only stuff that sounded vaguely passable at that stage were the Eventide boxes.
    They don't compare to modern pitch shifting though.
    @Octatonic is correct I think.

The way the Quad works is using the concept of a pie which can be split into any combination of halves and quarters. Each effect has either a half or quarter assigned to it, depending on the processing power required. Obviously you can't have more than 4 quarters, a half and 2 quarters or two halves!!

You can run effects in series or parallel, and sum parallel effects together anywhere in the chain that you like I believe....its such a long time since I've created a new patch, this is all from memory.

I'd be happy to see what's what over the weekend if you have any specific questions.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    By coincidence, tried Behringer RV600 in the FX loop of my beautiful Redplate CDS2. Sucked all the sparkle out of it! Went back to my ancient EH Holy Grail and sparkle returned :)

Among others I've got the TC M-OneXL and don't see what earlier comments are getting at. The presets are just fine. No need for editing.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1967
    Rockttron Intellifex - got one in the cupboard, sounds pretty nice to me.