Amp suggestions for hard rock/metal in pubs

What's Hot
chrishill901chrishill901 Frets: 516
edited July 2015 in Amps
I didn't think I'd say it but I'm entertaining the idea of shifting on my Marshall Jubilee...

I used to listen to blues, classic rock and at its heaviest Guns N' Roses, so I bought the jubilee. Nails all of that. Since buying it though I started listening to Lynch Mob and other 90s stuff that has that seriously hot rodded tone, and more lately really heavy stuff (for me) such as Alter Bridge, Tremonti, Black Stone Cherry. Although I can boost the front end of the Jubilee it just doesn't have that big ballsy heavy rock/metal chug. Perhaps it does if pushed, but I've never gigged it with the master over half way at the types of gigs I play.

I have also noticed a big difference in the tone I like to hear, and the tone I like to play, if that makes sense. I love the jubilee on records and gnr live stuff, but I don't enjoy it as my tone as much. If I were in a GnR covers band I'd be happy, but I'm not. I think I want my tone to be something different. I really like the sound of metal amps but used for hard rock. The 6505 stands out for that.

I'm so far looking at the following:

Jet City JCA22h and the jet city 1x12
Laney IRT30-112
Engl Gigmaster 30w 112 (I know nothing about these but there is one for sale here)

Here are the requirements:
Needs to be loud enough to gig in a pub
Needs to have a fair amount of us able gain. No fizz.
Needs to be light. If a combo, the weight limit is 20kg. Head and cab fine.
Needs to be around £500ish. (The peavey 6505mh would be the perfect amp for me but its £500 just for the head)

Opinions on the above amps welcome too. My concern about the jca22h is that I found the jca50 to be fizzy as hell, but perhaps because it was overpowered for my need and I wasn't pushing it enough? The iron heart on paper is perfect but they have mixed reviews. A 6505+ combo is too heavy too.

Any suggestions? I know I'm mad thinking of shifting on a jubilee. Wisdoms will not be given for pointing out this fact.

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chrishill901chrishill901 Frets: 516
    Also, to help, I like pretty dark voiced stuff. For those with experience with them, one of the best eq'd amps I've had was the blackstar HT50 - definitely how I like my tone, just a shame it was utterly sterile

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    Blackstar Series One! :-)
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72369
    edited July 2015
    Jet City JCA50H and Harley Benton Vintage 212. I doubt the 22 will be loud or chunky enough.

The Jet City fizz can be cured by clipping two caps. That's why they're so bright, not the power - I just did this to my friend's one and now he doesn't run it with the treble and presence at zero :).

Apologies if yours was the perfect amp otherwise! The good news is they're not expensive even new...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    Jet City's hard to beat for the money, but they still sound (to my ears) a bit 80s rather than more modern like a 6505 or similar. The cap clipping ^ might sort that, though.
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    I've got a mint 6505 212 combo. I'll do you it cheap so you can get a gym membership with the savings then it won't be unmanageable...

;-)

I've taken the rear panel off and that saves a couple of kg. plus with three handles you could always get a burly drummer/bassist to help!

I've always fancied a Jubilee too.

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Problem with 1x12 combos is that it will never sound as deep and ballsy as a 2x12 cab, if that's what you're looking for. If you're moving from a Marshall head and cab you may be disappointed. I'd suggest trying one at decent volume before deciding.

As for the tone, Marshalls sit at the more bright trebly side of the spectrum, whereas Mesas sit on the other end with their huge chest thumping sound. Engls sit somewhere near the middle. More tight and precise than Mesas but more lower mid grunt compared to Marshalls. I've used all 3 but currently sticking with a Mesa dual rec head, although the Engl Blackmore I had was awesome too. We play mostly 80s hard rock with a bit of Maiden and Metallica thrown in and it sounds pretty good for that kind of stuff.

Apart from those already suggested, have a look at the Engl Screamer heads. They're pretty small but have a big sound, and are very versatile. Also look for 2nd hand Mesa heads that crop up from time to time. If your budget can stretch that far I think a Mesa mini rectifier sounds perfect for your application.
    Andy... I would be so tempted if I didn't know for a fact that it would cripple me. I'm not a gym kind of guy. I go to a tennis club and enjoy humous and pittas for my lunch at work. I'm a middle class 21st century sissy. I worry about what people think of me and everything... I'm not a 2x12 combo kind of guy

I'm fine with a 2x12 as long as it's a separate head and cab.

I genuinely think if the jcas are good that the 20w is enough. The lead guitarist in our band comfortably used a valveking 20w (as a power amp)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    I have a saw...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ...sold

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26608
    The problem with the JCA22H is that it's very difficult to get proper cleans out of it at the same time as crushing metal (which it can actually do very well, with scooped EQ and the gain cranked on the crunch channel). The JCA50H is much better for the clean, but it can't manage as much gain as the JCA22H.

The JCA22H has more gain in its corner, as well as a vastly more sensible effects loop (post-master, rather than pre-EQ).

I'm still waiting for them to bring out an amp which is basically the JCA22H but with the 50W power section.
    <space for hire>
    I require no cleans.

I never use the clean channel on the jubilee. I just roll back. I hate clean cleans. I like gritty cleans. Which I suspect I'll be able to achieve with the 22. I'm leaning toward the laney mind...

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26608
    I require no cleans.

I never use the clean channel on the jubilee. I just roll back. I hate clean cleans. I like gritty cleans. Which I suspect I'll be able to achieve with the 22. I'm leaning toward the laney mind...
    In that case, I have to say the 22 sounds like it's going to be perfect for you. They really are great amps, and here's the thing - they're so cheap that it's probably worth buying one first anyway - if you're not 100% convinced then save some more cash, get the Laney and use the JC as a backup :)
    <space for hire>
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    What about the EVH 5150? Does everything.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• AlexHunterAlexHunter Frets: 422
    Wildcard: Mesa Express 5:25. I've seen some of the 1x12s going seriously cheap
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Tubemeisters
    Interesting wild card, will check it out.

Don't like the tubemeister, have played through one, but certainly fits the bill on paper, good suggestion.

Evh 5150 is too heavy, otherwise I'd be all over it!

Hmm Jet city or Laney? Might be worth the 2 hour round trip to the nearest laney dealer first?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72369
    I would take a Jet City over a Laney any day, with the possible exception of the Lionheart and that's still not as well built as a JC. And that's even given that I like reverb.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    The evh 50w head is tiny and light,  the 2x12 is a chunky little cab but pair it with a 1x12 and you'll have some great rock and metal tones.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Have you tried boosting your Jube? Undoubtedly the cheapest option..... Throw an eq pedal in to sort it right out..... Then if that isn't it, splurge on an amp!
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    Doubt I could get a 5150 head and a cab for around £500.

I have boosted the jubilee but its not what I'm after. I'm after something with a different character now