Finished build JB004

What's Hot
First full size home build from scratch - all from 3" x 2" sapele. This has a scarfed headstock,through neck with pau ferro fret board, 25"scale and 2 Wilkinson humbuckers. I got nervous that I had cut the neck too thin and left quite a bit of meat around the shoulders when carving, this gives a fairly chunky feel, but I am not going to change it as the sustain and tone are better than I could have hoped for.

imageimageFinish is orange and black stain with water based satin varnish applied with a brush.
0reaction image LOL 15reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Wow'd.   :)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Wow indeed, ypu should be very proud of that...good effort!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• JohnBJohnB Frets: 121
    Thanks - there were a few issues during the build and in places the finish is a bit substandard but I am learning
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    JohnB said:
    Thanks - there were a few issues during the build and in places the finish is a bit substandard but I am learning
    This is why we use crap stage lighting   ;)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2403
    Like that! Good work that man!
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Yes - I like this very much. It has a 70s vibe to it - in a good way :).
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    I'm just mightily impressed that you made it all from 3x2. How does it sound? Any plans for better humbuckers and if so which ones?
  • That's a beauty, especially considering what you've built it from (not the sapele, the fact that it was all in bits). Nice one.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    Chalky said:
    I'm just mightily impressed that you made it all from 3x2. How does it sound? Any plans for better humbuckers and if so which ones?
    It just means the body is a sandwich of 5 pieces, one of those is the through neck - you can see the joints in the grain colour. I hadn't used Wilkinson pickups till I did Mark Bailey's BYOG workshop and I was quite impressed (with the pickups on the guitar in my profile pic).  This guitar has a sustain and a throaty roar that my LP can't match so I am going to leave them for now :-)

edited July 2015
    I used JB004 for the lead parts on this song - through Wampler o/d, TC electronic Trinity reverb and Orange Micro Terror ( at home recording volume )

https://www.reverbnation.com/johnbaily/song/23999928-i-got-the-blues?1336410755
  • That is gorgeous
  • SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 509
    Wow'd, absolutely beautiful. Love the colour and shape. First class work and very inspiring
    This has since had a mod to the neck shape making it more comfortable and a pair of Oil City humbuckers which are very impressive - especially the Night Fighter at the bridge