What's Hot
13»

Comments

• StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1465
    Stevie Flynn
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    clarkefan said:
    Did I see that price correctly earlier? For a Princeton clone??

Edit - a *secondhand* Princeton clone??
    I am struggling with this ... was vaguely moving in the direction of princeton stylee, and as usual started slavering over the US boutique ones, but they are starting to look crazily expensive to us hapless Britons, so my great mind is being drawn to UK builders like Rift. There really can't be any difference can there ... I mean they are all the same bits.
    I totally agree with you @mattacjones . We should be buying from U.K. builders especially now. Rift are excellent and so are RD Amplification (I've got his Dualist). You get more for your money and a top quality service. One can even get an American flavoured amp in the lazy j format who builds in the U.K. of course. We shouldn't need to buy overseas we have some of the best builders on our doorstep here. 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5263
    clarkefan said:

I am struggling with this ... was vaguely moving in the direction of princeton stylee, and as usual started slavering over the US boutique ones, but they are starting to look crazily expensive to us hapless Britons, so my great mind is being drawn to UK builders like Rift. There really can't be any difference can there ... I mean they are all the same bits.
    I totally agree with you @mattacjones . We should be buying from U.K. builders especially now. Rift are excellent and so are RD Amplification (I've got his Dualist). You get more for your money and a top quality service. One can even get an American flavoured amp in the lazy j format who builds in the U.K. of course. We shouldn't need to buy overseas we have some of the best builders on our doorstep here. 
    whilst i agree with the sentiment personally i buy the best amp i can afford, whether it is made here or the states...one result being it pushes the UK builders to compete with the best in the world, if i hear a princetone that sounds as amazing as the columbia and is built in the UK, i would buy it without hesitation
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2017
    mgaw said:
    clarkefan said:

whilst i agree with the sentiment personally i buy the best amp i can afford, whether it is made here or the states...one result being it pushes the UK builders to compete with the best in the world, if i hear a princetone that sounds as amazing as the columbia and is built in the UK, i would buy it without hesitation
    Yeah I can understand that of course. However, at the end of the day it's just a circuit board and capacitors etc. Good speaker choice is critical but always down to the users preferences at the end of the day. What I'm saying is these amps aren't rocket science to build by a quality builder etc. One could get a uk builder to copy one for much less money. Food for thought?

If its resale value value which is an issue then that's another matter.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    clarkefan said:

People should be free to spend their hard earned where they wish. I've bought plenty from UK builders and companies and lots of it is great, but buying British doesn't always guarantee you excellent service and a faultless product... quite the opposite sometimes in my experience.
    simonk said:
    clarkefan said:

People should be free to spend their hard earned where they wish. I've bought plenty from UK builders and companies and lots of it is great, but buying British doesn't always guarantee you excellent service and a faultless product... quite the opposite sometimes in my experience.
    I've been lucky then.

Of course it's all down to the individual what they wish to spend and where. I'm just pointing out the bare facts. I haven't factored in the desireabity / Gas of an item/amp that can be very pricey :) Macs and PCs? 
    mgaw said:
    clarkefan said:

Yeah I can understand that of course. However, at the end of the day it's just a circuit board and capacitors etc. Good speaker choice is critical but always down to the users preferences at the end of the day. What I'm saying is these amps aren't rocket science to build by a quality builder etc. One could get a uk builder to copy one for much less money. Food for thought?

we are back to the argument of its just a circuit board etc :)  if it was really that simple then how do some builders manage to stand head and shoulders above the rest...its a lazy argument, and discounts no doubt years of application, research and judgement on the builders part....its a nonsense in my opinion, as for resale dont matter to me, i want the best 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    simonk said:
    clarkefan said:

I've been lucky then.

Of course it's all down to the individual what they wish to spend and where. I'm just pointing out the bare facts. I haven't factored in the desireabity / Gas of an item/amp that can be very pricey :) Macs and PCs? 
    you are pointing out your opinion, and as with us all that is limited to your direct experience, as for the suggestion that myself and @simonk are swayed by the expense of an item, that just reinforces my thought that you should try the amp then comment further :)
    mgaw said:
    mgaw said:
    clarkefan said:

we are back to the argument of its just a circuit board etc :)  if it was really that simple then how do some builders manage to stand head and shoulders above the rest...its a lazy argument, and discounts no doubt years of application, research and judgement on the builders part....its a nonsense in my opinion, as for resale dont matter to me, i want the best 
    LOL because of threads like these ;) We are spoiled nowadays though I feel as there isn't much out there nowadays that is just plainly awful don't you agree? I loved the Louis Buster myself and was going to buy one but for the money, I couldn't bring myself to buy it and went for a Dualist which I would say is the most versatile amp I've ever had and is up there with the best of the competition. It just doesn't get heard of because Rob doesn't market it massively as he has a day job and wouldn't be able to keep up with orders if he did. That may change soon though ;)

i think the standard of gear avaiable is great and long may it continue to rise...nearly bought a 2nd hand RD last year, it was extremely cheap as well....must say world guitars didnt sell it to me on the phone at all well,  if i remember correctly they described it as loud   and that was about it......go figure, now of course i know better
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9540
    I'm kinda in the opposite camp these days... not maybe in terms of amps (tbh), but I'll no longer buy niche, rare unheard of brands - because I have lost a fortune in resale.

For example, I took a right hit on my lovely Pair Tele I sold...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    mgaw said:
    i think the standard of gear avaiable is great and long may it continue to rise...nearly bought a 2nd hand RD last year, it was extremely cheap as well....must say world guitars didnt sell it to me on the phone at all well,  if i remember correctly they described it as loud   and that was about it......go figure, now of course i know better
    Depends on what you want. If one is into metal one would go for a different amp etc. It's loud that's true but a lot more if you sit with it and dial a sound in. Horses for courses etc :) I hope this thread is not being seen as a dissing of Louis amps because it's not 'cos I love them too. I'm just pointing out it isn't magic fairy dust that has been sprinkled over them. As with the Lazy J it's marketing and who's been seen playing them that pushes the prices up i.e. Gas and hype is the fuel. Still a great amp though is totally my thang but a hell of a price tag and I won't pay it again.

I still would like to try one next time I'm at Coda :)
    I'm kinda in the opposite camp these days... not maybe in terms of amps (tbh), but I'll no longer buy niche, rare unheard of brands - because I have lost a fortune in resale.

Funnily enough I bought my recent amp with this in mind. I knew I would lose a wad of cash on resale which weirdly makes me work with it and spend some time with it. It's a personal thing that's all. I've bought the latest thing in the past and moved it on too quickly for the next latest thing because I could get the cash back from it or most of it ;) Some I wish I actually kept and worked with it. Funny lot aren't we? we should feel sorry for ourselves LOL
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    Stevie Flynn
    Awesome tweed based amps too!

I might have accidentally commissioned a deluxe style build recently... 
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5040
    hotpickups said: As with the Lazy J it's marketing and who's been seen playing them that pushes the prices up.
    Not sure Jesse does any marketing in the traditional sense ie paid-for advertising and sales promotion. His amps get excellent reviews (ie free editorial coverage) and have lots of celebrity users (ie free PR). Hype contributes to Lazy J's success no doubt, but not paid-for 'marketing' as far as I'm aware. Personally I think the main reason they're so successful is because they are really, really great sounding amps.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • I'm kinda in the opposite camp these days... not maybe in terms of amps (tbh), but I'll no longer buy niche, rare unheard of brands - because I have lost a fortune in resale.

I think buying and selling kit is as much a hobby as playing and owning it. 

If your hobby is in buying and selling (no shame in that, at all!) then yes, you're more restricted by what holds resale. Ironic that the folk who are perhaps able to try the most kit are also more restricted by that I suppose. 

If your hobby is in playing, you'll not necessarily be put off. You'll try stuff that looks neat. You do need to be careful about warranty and service, especially with small start ups... 

If you like finding unusual, niche brands that perhaps try something different, there is more out there than ever before. Some is shite. Plenty is fabulous. 

Sadly, it's harder to find brilliant handwired high gain modern metal amps, so it's mostly clean and mid-gain machines. The cynic in me says this is because they're easier to build. 

Or perhaps everyone knows a 6505 and a dual rec can't be beat :) 
    hotpickups said: As with the Lazy J it's marketing and who's been seen playing them that pushes the prices up.
    Not sure Jesse does any marketing in the traditional sense ie paid-for advertising and sales promotion. His amps get excellent reviews (ie free editorial coverage) and have lots of celebrity users (ie free PR). Hype contributes to Lazy J's success no doubt, but not paid-for 'marketing' as far as I'm aware. Personally I think the main reason they're so successful is because they are really, really great sounding amps.
    I'm not suggesting 'Hype' is ever paid for. It just happens :)
    dont go confusing hype and hard earned reputation now @hotpickups ;