Camera advice please...

What's Hot
My lad is coming up to 15 and has expressed a strong interest in photography. In particular of cars, and of people riding their skateboards, BMXs and scooters. Although he also likes landscape photography and has quite an artistic flair.

We'd like to get him something that will get him started and that he could build on - either by adding more lenses etc, or by keeping it as part of a kit so that he can carry different cameras for different situations.

Let's say we're looking at £150, would that get us anything worthwhile or do we need to come up a bit?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    Any cheap starter SLR kit from nikon or canon that has full manual controls. But you are looking at about £350 min. Try Park Cameras for decent 12 month warranty used photo gear.
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    Where abouts are you based? I've a Nikon D60 sat doing nothing
  • UnorthodoxUnorthodox Frets: 395
    That's quite the B&H link fest.
    Oh, the link party isn't over just yet I see...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Fitz is definitely on commission with B&H photo!
  • You could do a lot worse than a nikon d90 (if they already know a wee bit about photography or are genuinely keen to learn) or a d5100 (newer model with "better" sensor and other stuff, but not backwards compatible with old af-d lenses and only has one control dial. 

Frankly, that's more than enough to learn on - wex photographic has some for about £150. 

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-used-nikon-d5100-digital-slr-camera-body/p1622830

It's nice and small, higher end ones are bigger for better ergonomics but... Big. 

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-used-nikon-18-70mm-f3-5-4-5-g-af-s-dx-lens/p1622906

That's a good lens, probably better for action than the newer, but sharper, 18-55 vr lenses. No vibration reduction but it lets in about a stop more light at the long end so faster shutter speeds for freezing action. It also goes to 70mm instead of 55, has a metal mount and is pretty good. I still have mine, and I still like it! Focuses very close too, so decent for near-macro. 

Of course, canon will have equivalents, and are probably more common cameras. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    My lad is coming up to 15 and has expressed a strong interest in photography. In particular of cars, and of people riding their skateboards, BMXs and scooters. Although he also likes landscape photography and has quite an artistic flair.

We'd like to get him something that will get him started and that he could build on - either by adding more lenses etc, or by keeping it as part of a kit so that he can carry different cameras for different situations.

Let's say we're looking at £150, would that get us anything worthwhile or do we need to come up a bit?
    As previously mentioned Park Cameras are good. Also check out www.ffordes.com .They're probably the biggest UK outlet for used camera gear. They moved the business up to the Scottish highlands from Essex years ago, because most of the business they do with photographers is online any. I've bought a fair bit of kit from them over the years and it's usual bang on in terms of description , price etc. another plus is they really know they're stuff and will give decent advice before you buy. 
    As already stated Nikon and Canon are a good place to start for great kit which can added to as time goes by. Being into  action sports you should also check out the video spec on the cameras you are looking at as I'm sure it will give your lad another creative angle.

Not sure why s76fitz is seemingly spamming the thread with stuff from a USA retailer ?  

anyway, hope you get your lad what he needs . Best of luck. 
  • what system do your have rtb?

highest fps, af speed(although if a fisheye is on the cards at a later date that won't be an issue) and buffer you can afford, if you could stretch to a Canon D60/Nikon d7000 I reckon that would be a decent start, it would mean an increase in budget though.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    My usual recommendation of MPB photographic for buying second hand gear. Good prices, the kit is always as described (usually better tbh) and you get a warranty, great company to deal with. 

Get your lad lad to join the talkphotography forum. There's masses of great info on there and plenty of people willing to help out beginners. 
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1137
    what system do your have rtb?
    I don't! Although I enjoy taking photos I'm very much a casual, point and click, photographer. My camera for stills is the Kodak Z1012IS that you recommended me many years ago - still very good btw.

Thanks for the advice all, will have to do some research and try to get something usable for the small budget we have.
    If he wants to get into full frame gear I'll be moving a Canon 5d mk1 on soon. You'd need Canon EF lenses to go with it mind. 
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Get on gumtree abd look at digital slr's or similar.  Sure you'd pick one up in that budget now :
    Talk to me about lenses...let's assume we'd go for a Canon or Nikon body, probably 2nd hand so an older model.

Without a lens the body is useless, right? So what's the essential starting option?
    And, I hear about some cameras needing special, more expensive, lenses due to motors or lack thereof. Is that across both brands, and all models?
    Are there lenses made by other manufacturers that are compatible? He's quite keen on a fish eye lens for his scooter action shots.
  • MickMick Frets: 98

Are there lenses made by other manufacturers that are compatible? He's quite keen on a fish eye lens for his scooter action shots.
    Yes, check out Sigma and Tamron, they both make lenses to fit the various DSLR Cameras out there.  I have a  couple of them,  A Sigma 50-500EX  And a Tamron 90mm macro . 
    Talk to me about lenses...let's assume we'd go for a Canon or Nikon body, probably 2nd hand so an older model.

Without a lens the body is useless, right? So what's the essential starting option?
    And, I hear about some cameras needing special, more expensive, lenses due to motors or lack thereof. Is that across both brands, and all models?
    Ok not wanting to teach granny to suck eggs, but yes, you definitely need a lens to go with a DSLR body. You can get one that comes with a "kit lens", e.g. something general purpose and a reasonable quality to get you started. You can then add more lenses as you go: wide angle for things like landscapes, telephoto for getting closer to the action. Lenses are made to suit the body and will be a specific fit, so a Canon won't fit a Nikon etc etc.

A fish eye lens is going to be relatively expensive, whatever the make, but as mentioned there are other manufacturers that make them to fit. Sigma and Tamron are decent quality but cost a lot less than a pukka manufacturer's lens. 

There's not much difference between the main brands in terms of quality tbh. Best thing to to do is to go to a camera shop and have a play with the various makes of body. Some feel better than others in the hand or your lad might prefer the control layout of one make etc. Then you can go from there. I would definitely go for s/h though: you'll get far more for your money and photographers tend to take care of their gear, so you rarely get a dud. 
  • Samyang make excellent fisheye lenses and don't be put off by them being manual focus only, it really is not an issue with a fisheye
    Great info thanks @boogieman ;