Fun with scammers

What's Hot
samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
I'm selling a guitar on gumtree. I got a message from Tanya, about being "thrilled" to buy my guitar, and that she wanted my email address to chat about the guitar. Alarm bells went off in my head...but i gave her my work email address, just to be safe...so below is what ensued...i fear our conversation has ended now, but it was fun to delve deeper into their story telling capabilities...

To read it in order...scroll down to the bottom and read up...

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 12:02 AM, Sam Zadgan <Sam.Zadgan@dentsuaegis.com> wrote:

Interesting, never heard of Paypal organising shipment without letting the selling party know about it.

But like I said, I haven’t received any funds.

How about you give me your paypal details, and all the details around the shipment…I’ll send an email to paypal and get them to reverse the payment you sent.

Sent: Wednesday, 29 March 2017 11:49 AM
To: Sam Zadgan
Subject: Re: Gumtree post

The shipping arrangement has been made under paypal with the moving company for safety of the shipment. This process cannot be reversed or cancelled according to paypal merchandise policy. So you are to complete the transaction and forward the moneygram receipt to paypal for verification so that your account will be fully credited with immediate effect. Get back to me as soon as you get it done so that we can arrange a specific date and time for the pick up.

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 1:42 AM, Sam Zadgan <Sam.Zadgan@dentsuaegis.com> wrote:

You should contact PayPal about getting your money back. It hasn't gone into my account. Like I said, I received an email from "PayPal" but it's not from PayPal...you should look at how you made the payment...someone may be trying to rip you off through some online scheme.

As for the movers, I fail to see how they will pick up the item since you don't have my address.

Sent from my iPhone

On 29 Mar 2017, at 11:36 am, Tanya Harden <tanyahdn@gmail.com> wrote:

Thank God you got it, i made a payment of $2,100 into your account and I added the movers fee for safe delivery of the item. So as advised by PayPal to make both parties secured doing the transaction, also i cannot cancelled or reversed the transaction. You are required to pay my moving agent coming for the pick up in your home address. So all you have to do now is to visit any nearest Moneygram outlet which can be located at any cash store to make the payment of $750 to the shipping agent that is coming for the pick up. You are to forward the Moneygram receipt to PayPal by clicking on contact us at any page on the notification of payment you received from PayPal for verification. After PayPal verifies the Moneygram receipt, your account will be credited with your funds of $2,100. After you have been credited, my moving agent will come for the pick up. I would like this to be done today so that my moving agent can come for the pick up as soon as possible after you have been credited. Thanks.

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 1:32 AM, Sam Zadgan <Sam.Zadgan@dentsuaegis.com> wrote:

I got an email but it's not from PayPal...secondly the amount is too high and I'm not shipping to Texas.

Sent from my iPhone

On 29 Mar 2017, at 11:17 am, Tanya Harden <tanyahdn@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi, I just make the payment, check your paypal email for the payment notification from paypal and get back to me asap.

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 12:02 AM, Sam Zadgan <Sam.Zadgan@dentsuaegis.com> wrote:

Cool mate

Paypal address is:

szadgan@gmail.com

Name is Sam Zadgan.

When your paying can you make sure you do it as paying "friends and family", otherwise there will be fees on my side.

On 29 Mar 2017, at 9:57 am, "tanyahdn@gmail.com" <tanyahdn@gmail.com> wrote:

I think the price of $1,300 is fair enough, so just send me your paypal email and your account holder name so that I can make the payment. Thanks

Sent: Tuesday, 28 March 2017 11:54 PM

To: tanyahdn@gmail.com

Subject: RE: Gumtree post

The price is $1300, paid through paypal gift, and pickup from Sydney.

Sent: Wednesday, 29 March 2017 9:52 AM
Subject: Re: Gumtree post

Just let me know your best price and if am okay with it i will let you know

Sent: Tuesday, 28 March 2017 11:47 PM

To: tanyahdn@gmail.com

Subject: RE: Gumtree post

Condition is great…a few scratches which are in the pic, but nothing that takes away from the look or feel or sound of the guitar.

The price is firm…I have reduced it from 1600, so there isn’t any room to move on that.

Sent: Tuesday, 28 March 2017 7:31 PM
Subject: Gumtree post

What's the condition and your final price

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Seems legit to me.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 291
    Thanks for sharing your interesting insight as to how the scammers operate. I've received a few 'you have a problem with your computer calls' before, some even claiming that they will disconnect me from the internet as my computer is going to damage their infrastructure. Of course, they can fix it if I give them remote access to my computer. This is all just a ruse to hijack the computer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 610
    The hard thing is explaining these scams to elderly parents - especially the 'If you  hang up and call the police scam' where they keep the line open. Telecom companies are only recently closing the line after a hang up not sure if all have rolled it out yet.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    CarpeDiem said:
    Thanks for sharing your interesting insight as to how the scammers operate. I've received a few 'you have a problem with your computer calls' before, some even claiming that they will disconnect me from the internet as my computer is going to damage their infrastructure. Of course, they can fix it if I give them remote access to my computer. This is all just a ruse to hijack the computer.

A bloke got stung with that at work... 3 DAYS after we had a presentation from our IT nerds, who went into great depth about hackers methods, and how to protect ourselves. Including live hacking done via a few computers. He's retiring soon bless him.

On gumtree- I'm surprised you entertained them for that long!

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11597
    edited March 2017 tFB Trader
    Yes - seen this scam before - you send the fee to the movers and lose that money - you never got any PayPal money.

Worse is if you pay the shippers and someone collects your goods and you have lost your guitar , paid $750 AND still not received any money, or it is clawed back if any was paid

But thankyou for reminding us of this pattern of scam

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4671
    every single time i put anything over £100 on gumtree i get this,the last one was a deaf dumb woman who wanted the guitar for her cousin :-P i just reply cash on collection only, they get the message pretty quickly 
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6139
    I love that there's not a single mention of 'guitar' from the scammer, just calling it 'the item' . 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    edited March 2017
    I get varying versions of this on gumtree too...I just had the patience to play along this time.

as for the callers, I had an entertaining one once, where they said that they were calling from BT and they knew that I had a virus on my computer. I couldn't let her go without some further explanation...she then proceeded to stumble her way through explaining that there is a central computer which has access to all the computers coming into the internet and she monitors the health of the computers for BT. 

She he soon hung up when I said something along the lines of "the central computer must be really really big...how do you guys control the heat in the building?"

but there was that one time that I almost got stung by one of these fuckers too...goes to show they can get us all if we let our guard down.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    I get this same for sale of - - Guitar Lessons!!

I tell them that are at liberty to come and 'collect' the item at any time!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    The hard thing is explaining these scams to elderly parents - especially the 'If you  hang up and call the police scam' where they keep the line open. Telecom companies are only recently closing the line after a hang up not sure if all have rolled it out yet.
    Not all old people are daft. My mum is 91, knows all the scams going and gives the scammers a right earful if they try it on. She told the last bloke who was trying the "I'm a police detective and we need to collect your debit card because there's been a fraudulent attempt to use it" one that he should be ashamed of himself and to bugger off before she called the real police :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • every single time i put anything over £100 on gumtree i get this,the last one was a deaf dumb woman who wanted the guitar for her cousin :-P i just reply cash on collection only, they get the message pretty quickly 
    yes, this deaf dumb woman must be a serious collector, ive had that one too, it seems to be £300 is the trigger that attracts them