Hip replacement...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    My humourous ways can't resist asking this.. but.. 

Do they use genuine parts? 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RickydRickyd Frets: 149
    hootsmon said:
    Best of luck Ricky....if you have any post op concerns or need a chat give us a PM

Thank you hoots.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    I have an auntie that had them both done at the same time about 15 years ago. They are probably reaching the end of usefulness and need replacing soon but she's a pensioner now (well farmers wife so still very active). She has had good mobilty from the new joints in the intervening years.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    My bro had a hip replacement. They gave him a beard and sat him in a coffee shop.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    axisus said:
    My bro had a hip replacement. They gave him a beard and sat him in a coffee shop.
    Lol!!! 

skunkwerx said:
    holnrew said:
    It's amazing something like that is so routine these days
    Aint it just! 

skunkwerx said:
    holnrew said:
    It's amazing something like that is so routine these days
    Aint it just! 

skunkwerx said:
    axisus said:
    Lol!!! 

So then, I went in Tuesday lunchtime and walked down to theatre at 5.15. The anesthetist said she would only just put me under and then give me an epidural. I woke up at about 7.15, job done. The sensation of not being able to feel or move your legs for more than 4 hours was really strange, but due to the minimal anaesthetic I felt quite fresh. Pain was kept well under control and the physio had me up next day to walk around my room.

I had a catheter in for a couple of days to save having to get up to pee which was useful, mind you once it comes out its impossible to piss in a straight line and it tends to burn a bit.

Physio had me up again the following day, walking along the corridors and up and down stairs. Pain still bearable, just awkward getting in and out of bed, and trying to sit on the toilet becomes an art.

Came home yesterday the doc was well pleased with my progress, and I would sooner be home as nice as the hospital was. 

So skunk, nothing for your dad to fret about too much, message me if you think of any other info you might want. Regards.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    edited April 2017

Good show Ricky.....I had the bag in too. When I had it emptied it was 96% Lucozade

tae be or not tae be
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Best wishes my friend.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Got a date today for my full right knee replacement in late May, not really looking forward to it in truth. But I am going to use the convalescent time to hopefully improve my playing! All those years in the Army, playing Rugby and doing Judo have finally caught up with me at fifty - five.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    I was a nurse on the plastics and orthopedics ward for some years, never saw any deaths fro hip ops, the main concern is infection after the op particularly MRSA, but again not a major procedure to worry about, :) 
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    axisus said:
    My dad had his done a few years ago under local, all went fine.
    Wha?????? they do hips under local????? that is .... unreal ..... a bit scary
    Under a spinal actually ;) lol
    We do about eight hip or knee joints a day at ours, some go home the same day, things they are a changing.
    All will be fine, just tell him to do as he's told, follow the aftercare and physio and he'll be back to normal and pain free in no time.
    We do ours under spinal with sedation and the patient gets an iPad mini with an Apple Music account so any music of their choice, they love it ;)
    #thebatesmotelband
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    BGG said:We do ours under spinal with sedation and the patient gets an iPad mini with an Apple Music account so any music of their choice, they love it ;)
    Typical NHS....

I bet if you went private you'd get an iPad Pro.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    2 days at home now and all looking good. Can sleep on my side and front now, how people get off to sleep laying on their backs I'll never know. On and off the toilet is still the work of an Olympic gymnast, but getting easier. I do the exercises the physio taught me 3/4 times a day and plenty of Tramadol to keep the pain at bay. My sister in law bought me one if those trigger operated rubbish picker uppers which are great for when you drop stuff or are trying to pull your shorts back up. Get one, it's money well spent.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    My mum had one of those grabbers when she had hers done. Couldn't wait to be shot of it in the end though!
    My V key is broken
    Given the choice of the grabber to yank my pants back up or walking around barearsed I (and my wife and daughter) prefer the grabber!
    Glad to hear of the good results Rickyd! 

No word yet on when dads going in.. 
    Twas funny, I said to him 'you worried about it?' Because as long as I've known him, he's never been one for willingly going to the docs or hospital... infact I don't think he's ever had an operation before. 

'Nah, nah its all routine stuff innit' he says.. 

So anyway, me mum pops over once a week to visit, and after my dad went out for the evening she says to me 'Talked to your dad about his hips, hes shitting it'. 

Lol! Bless him. We'll both be home Sunday, so I'm planning to show him this thread and talk to him about it all during the F1. 

Did find out that he will be under general for it though. Not sure why exactly, i'll have to ask. 

Still, many thanks for all the great responses guys and gals. 
    Great forum this :) 
    If you need any more info or a chat please let me know.
    Rickyd said:
    If you need any more info or a chat please let me know.
    Cheers buddy thats great!
    Hi skunk. 2 weeks today since my op so I thought I'd offer an update in case you had seen your dad over the weekend. I'm now getting around with no stick, up and down stairs no problem.

Still a bit achey but previous pains all gone. Consultant suggested 3/4 weeks for the wound to heal properly. I'm pleased with the way everything has gone.

My main problem has been sleeping. No one mentioned that coming off the Tramadol came be a real ball breaker. I've suffered some horrendous nightmares and even hallucinations (and not in a good way). I've cut them out and returned to the co-codimal on a half dose to try and wean myself away from relying on them. Your dad should try and keep his pain relief to a minimum to try and avoid this, easy to say I know but better than the possible consequences. 

Hope you you is ok and not worrying too much.

Kind regards.
    Cheers bud! Hope your recovery continues smoothly! 

Yep, I was on Tramadol for 5 weeks last year, and wasnt told how serious a drug it is!! Basically floated around for the duration in absolute bliss, but when I stopped it was cold turkey.. was supposed to wean off.. 

I almost went a+e haha.. I got similar withdrawals as you mentioned...