Hendrix biopic

What's Hot
proggyproggy Frets: 5835
Jimi: All Is By My Side. Saturday night BBC2,  9:45.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5158
    Saw this on Netflix a while back. They didn't have the family's permission to use any of Hendrix's music which makes the whole thing seem a little odd.

It's all done fairly cheaply ($5m, of which Wikipedia reckons it recouped less than $1m), and in terms of recreating the mannerisms and voice of a famous subject Andre 3000 is no Eddie Redmayne. It's a bit soap-opera too, focussing more on who Jimi was shagging than on what he was playing, although they do stage Jimi's appearance with Cream at the London Polytechnic (recreated as a dingy cellar, capacity 100-ish) and one or two other true-ish episodes from his life that you'll recognise if you've ever read a Jimi biography.

It'll keep you amused for a couple of hours, but it's not going to be anyone's new favourite film.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    I saw that on one of the non-Sky film channels a while ago.

IIRC there's one bit of extreme wah-wah guitar when "Jimi" is on his knees during a live performance.
    scrumhalf said:
    I saw that on one of the non-Sky film channels a while ago.

IIRC there's one bit of extreme wah-wah guitar when "Jimi" is on his knees during a live performance.

He was one talented bastard, that Jimi Hendrix.

I remember being pulled out of the film several times by anachronous props department cock-ups with respect to guitar gear (although not what they were from memory), but I don't remember that particular mistake.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22930

I remember being pulled out of the film several times by anachronous props department cock-ups with respect to guitar gear (although not what they were from memory), but I don't remember that particular mistake.
    Like The Buddy Holly Story, where Gary Busey spends much of the film playing a 1970s Telecaster...

Not a bad film though apart from that, I don't know about the historical accuracy but Busey was a capable actor in those days and wasn't yet insane.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3078
    We'll need a special Marty McFly guitar continuity thread at this rate 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    It's a bit more accurate than the film of The Battle Of The Bulge. Guitar-wise, it looks like he's playing one of those Gibson 'Hendrix' Strat-a-likes from a few years ago that got pillioried. Or something very similar. 
    He is also a remarkably drug-free Hendrix in this film!
    We'll need a special Marty McFly guitar continuity thread at this rate 
    We should include Sing Street. Great film, but an absolute failstorm of guitar gear that didn't exist when the film was set.

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Yes, yes, yes.  This is all very well and good, but what quality is the Hayley Atwell content?
    Rox said:
    Yes, yes, yes.  This is all very well and good, but what quality is the Hayley Atwell content?
    She's in it, but IIRC it's not going to be your new favourite film for that reason either. 

• mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    It's amazing how they managed to take the life one of the most exciting and cool musicians of all time, and turn his story into one of the most boring films  I have ever had the misfortune to see.

As has been mentioned, who gives a shit about his mopey groupies?

It was a real waste of an opportunity.

Andre 3000  did a great job as Jimi though, especially considering the piss poor script he was working with.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Definitely not a biopic, more a recreation of the bathroom sink dramas of the sixties with a well known character. Can't quite fathom the reason other than nobody would have watched it otherwise were it not for being the back story of Hendrix. Still, as a film it's good; as a biopic it's limited and incorrect at times especially regarding the violence that Kathy suffered and vigorously denies. Artistic freedom to make a story more screen worthy is nonetheless contentious especially with living characters. As for Andre 300 I think he did a good job 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Watching it but just waiting to turn over for MOTD. Andre is okay but he's too old. Any number of factual cock ups apparently and I've just spotted the push button phone lurking behind that very wrong strat. Waddy Wachtel (normally seen looking an ageing hippy on stage with Stevie Nicks) plays the guitar parts and seems to have done a nice job although I doubt if devoted fans would be fooled. Without any Hendrix songs it is a bit of a nonsense. 
    Anyway, the first 45 minutes was probably enough. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    I forgot it was on but saw the last hour or so.

I don't like biopics.  By their very nature they can never tell the whole story, and even a film concentrating on a short period of time, like this one, feels sketchy, just a series of little snapshots, which aren't necessarily even true to life.  Nothing about it feels remotely convincing.

Worst of all, it doesn't convey any sense that there was anything special about Jimi Hendrix.

I wish I hadn't watched it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3078
    I forgot it was on. Should I bother? 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Philly_Q said:

Worst of all, it doesn't convey any sense that there was anything special about Jimi Hendrix.

I think that sums it up well. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 609
    This is the one where he smacks his girlfriend isn't it? That was a complete lie apparently and the lady he is supposed to have smacked complained.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    I'm a big Hendrix fan but quickly gave up on it. I kept waiting to hear some music, but now realise they didn't have the family's permission (after reading it earlier in this thread).

The way the story was told and filmed didn't grab me. Some of the roles almost seemed like caricatures.

There was a very wrong looking Strat with a weird headstock. A small thing but a lack of attention to detail.
    It's not a competition.
    edited April 2017

There was a very wrong looking Strat with a weird headstock. A small thing but a lack of attention to detail.
    I wonder if they have to get permission from Fender to show Fender guitars - or more likely pay a royalty if they do show them?  I'm pretty sure "Noel Redding"'s bass had no logo on the headstock either.

I meant to see if the Flying V featured in other scenes, or "Clapton"'s Les Paul, were actually Gibsons, but I wasn't paying enough attention.
    notanon said:
    This is the one where he smacks his girlfriend isn't it? That was a complete lie apparently and the lady he is supposed to have smacked complained.
    Apparently it's largely based on a book by Curtis Knight, who of course wasn't around to see any of this happen, and the film presumably also uses details from other Hendrix biographies.  Kathy Etchingham does indeed deny Hendrix was ever violent to her and there's no particular reason to doubt her on that, but like everyone connected with Hendrix, she has her own version of events!
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    I believe the film was so poorly appreciated that Andre 3000 is now Andre 2434¾.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    I'm a big Hendrix fan but quickly gave up on it. I kept waiting to hear some music, but now realise they didn't have the family's permission 

Probably more likely that Janie Hendrix wanted a few million dollars for the rights to Jimi's original songs, plus a distribution deal on the soundtrack album, arse raping parasite that she is.  :p
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom