Anyone compared the volume/headroom on the Morgan SW22R & SW50R?

WillEdmundsWillEdmunds Frets: 168
edited March 2017 in Amps
Looks like I've narrowed my search to one of these two amps. As they come up used so rarely, I might have to take the hit and buy one new. I'm leaning towards the SW22R, as I like the sound of 6V6s, but I'm a bit worried that it might not have enough volume and headroom for when the drummer really starts cracking it!

I'll be using it in a blues rock 'power trio', so it needs to provide plenty of punch. I'll be using it with a 2x12 cab, which will help, but I don't want to buy an underpowered amp! That said, I also don't really want to buy an overpowered one!

Anyone know how the volume/headroom of the SW22R will compare with, say my Carr Rambler, as a rough guide? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WillEdmundsWillEdmunds Frets: 168
    No-one tried these two amps side by side?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Alex335Alex335 Frets: 121
    I have the sw22r. It's one of my favourite amps I've ever played.. just lots of big warm pleasing tone be it clean or pushed. It's got lots of volume. good clean head room even with buckers. I had a fender deluxe reverb also 22watts and they don't compare.. Morgan is much louder 
  • WillEdmundsWillEdmunds Frets: 168
    Alex335 said:
    I have the sw22r. It's one of my favourite amps I've ever played.. just lots of big warm pleasing tone be it clean or pushed. It's got lots of volume. good clean head room even with buckers. I had a fender deluxe reverb also 22watts and they don't compare.. Morgan is much louder 
    Thanks Alex. I bought the SW22R head yesterday! Should arrive tomorrow. From what I've heard it'll be plenty loud enough. Getting a custom made Zilla vertical 2x12 for it, so it should sound huge. Glad you're digging yours.