Matching chords to melody?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10699
    To figure out the notes of a chord...

I'll stick to C Major for this, so the notes are C D E F G A B

A C Major chord has the notes C, E and G. Using the full list above as a reference you're starting with C, missing the B, adding the 3rd ( E ), etc. There's probably a technical term for it, but I call it "The Leapfrog Method" =) Obviously you can add the B note for a C Major 7th.

It works for the other diatonic chords in the scale too, E.G. D minor is D F A , E minor is E G B....

;)
    The technical term is 'triad', but leap-frog is better!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    57Deluxe said:
    from the melody you should be able to detect the root notes and then work possible chords back from there. You need one of these in your gig bag for quick reference!

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/4527223_f520.jpg

No..no no no no!!! You learn that off by heart, then destroy that piece of you printed off with it on. Once you learned the 12 notes (most of us already have) then the dot postions then in not time at all you by default know what is inbetween the dots as well...all good players know their fretboards - in their heads...every note on the fretboard we should be able to call it without any outside help. Sounds like a lot to learn but this one really isn't.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom