So, I have several Partscasters
5 Strats
4 Teles
A GSP Basses LP jr
A 51 P Bass
A Gretsch Jim Dandy
A Messer Resonator
An Epi 335.....

But harbour a desire to scratch build a body, I've got wood (Fnaaarrr) a body size slab o Walnut and a two piece top of figured ash......
Still need to buy more tools, but have no idea what body style to go for.....

I'm not confident enough to build a neck yet so will use bolt on, probably Allparts Fat Strat or Tele....I dont like Gibsons, the Epi being the exception, Vees and Explorers are out....

I did consider an electric "parlour" stylee thing, but would it look right with a Fender (ish) headstock?

I feel the need for something a bit different, perhaps I need to try sketching?

But what body style? I'm stumped! Any suggestions?

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1801
    the Electric Parlour thing like the Little Sister and the like look cool.
    If you are building your own neck for it you neither have to go Gibson or Fender headstock you can conjure your own. 
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3012
    With respect to the headstock could you not get one of those necks where they leave the headstock as a paddle ? I get that radiusing fingerboards & fretting & stuff is a bit more 'ninja' but if you're good enough to make a body surely cutting a headstock to the shape you like is doable ?
    Just putting it out there but I have a soft spot for the 'Muddywood' guitar that the Rev had made from the remains of Muddy Waters shack
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16825
    Get a big bit of paper, I often use lining paper but other rolls of paper are available

draw on a full centre line and perpendicular lines at the nut bridge and end of fretboard locations. Mark the nut and end of fretboard widths so you can draw the whole fretboard.

you now have all your critical measurements you need to draw a new shape.  The rest is up to you.

i often lightly draw around another guitar at this point just to make sure the size is going to end up reasonable...   Once I have the shape where I want it, it gets cut out and stuck to some MDF to make a solid template