I took some pictures in Egypt

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited April 2017
    BTW, what is this 'bokeh' of which you speak ?  I thought that it referred to the way depth of field was handled by the optics and the diaphragm, the quality of the 'out of focussedness'.

I am very happy to be educated on this seemingly elusive and unusual term, if you would be so kind...
    Yes, basically that. I was merely noting that you can go overboard if you go too shallow with the DOF. But as @RaymondLin points out, it's a lot of fun...
    Cheers @stickyfiddle , it is a word that has seemingly gained popularity in comparatively recent times, so it's good to know I was on the right track.  

You can have some 'bokeh fun' by playing around with masks in front of the lens too.

Either use a clear / UV filter of empty ring, or a slot in like the Cokin system.  You can create a minimal set of diaphragm blades equivalent, although obviously not in the same plane in the lens as the proper diaphragm, or use other shapes.  Try the donut highlights of a catadioptric (mirror lens) with a central blank, or use a deferent shape for creatively shaped out of focus highlights.  You can vary the effect with focal length and aperture.  If you try it, so let me know what you think.  Lots of fun IMHO  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Great pics!
    Cairo museum is stunning.
  • frank1985frank1985 Frets: 523
    Amazing pictures!