Is Grammar & Punctuation now a thing of the past?

What's Hot

Comments

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    Gassage said:
    As I have mentioned before, possibly the most annoying piece of linguistic abuse currently in vogue is referring to people with the reflexive pronoun...

"If you'd like to return the documents to 'myself' or...'We'll be looking for the best deal for yourself...."

FFS, what is wrong with the elegant simplicity of 'me, I and you'......

It is enough for me to terminate phone calls.
    Yep, this grates on me like nothing else. I'd rather listen to fingernails down a blackboard.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28268
    It's also worth remembering that much of English formal grammar is deliberately complex and inconsistent so that the sneering classes can think themselves better than the productive classes.

In linguistic terms it's quite often the case that people with poor formal grammar actually have much better natural grammar, in that they apply simpler rules more consistently, making interpretation easier and less ambiguous.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28268
    I was only recently introduced to Oxford commas, but I am quite fond of them.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4983
    No problem @Dave_Vader, good of you to clarify things..
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• We were recently asked to help my daughter fill in a sheet she had brought home from school.
    The first part, which was already completed, was about what she had been up to at school, with the idea being that we would fill in the rest - i.e. the parts about activities at home.

In the "At School" section, I had to correct the sentence "I have wrote about the Billy Goats Gruff" to say ' "I wrote" or "I have written" '.

Point being? It wasn't my daughter who had written the sentence! It was either the teacher or a teaching assistant!

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
    I hate airline-stewardess-speak, in which they put unnecessary emphasis on every bloody verb:

"We DO ask you to watch the safety video".

We DO hope you have a pleasant flight".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Weather forecasters too @Nitefly ;
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    hywelg said:

Language is important, blah blah blah

If, however, you would prefer for people (whomsoever they might be) to understand exactly what you mean then you have to understand and apply rules of grammar and punctuation.
    I find two commas separating three words to be excessive and stops the flow of my reading. It may be grammatically correct but ease of reading wins the day for me.

Previously known as stevebrum
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    Iamnobody said:
    hywelg said:

If, however, you would prefer for people (whomsoever they might be) to understand exactly what you mean then you have to understand and apply rules of grammar and punctuation.
    I find two commas separating three words to be excessive and stops the flow of my reading. It may be grammatically correct but ease of reading wins the day for me.

What, a, load - of: rubbish.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Iamnobody said:
    hywelg said:

I don't care how difficult you find it, they are there for a reason, as are the parentheses.

And please do not, in quoting me, imply that I used the words "blah blah blah". I did not, and would never do.  Crass.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27007
    Iamnobody said:
    hywelg said:

This is a fairly bizarre stance. Surely when seeing a comma you don't stop and actively think "pause", you just keep reading, right? So how is a sentence being written properly in any way worse than it not being written correctly simply because you don't like the look of two commas?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 356
    If human interaction is regulated by agreement, and proof of agreement is necessary, which is often the case, grammar is extremely important.  Important enough that people will spend hundreds of thousands of pounds in legal fees on points of grammar and interpretation.

i once had a job where a misplaced comma completely changed (at least on paper) what had been agreed. Luckily it was before the deal had completed, so was resolvable.

on the other hand, who minds if the local pub is advertising "Saturday morning disco's"?
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1771
    Iamnobody said:
    hywelg said:

This is a fairly bizarre stance. Surely when seeing a comma you don't stop and actively think "pause", you just keep reading, right? So how is a sentence being written properly in any way worse than it not being written correctly simply because you don't like the look of two commas?
    Agreed.
    Sorry it took me over an hour to respond, it's just that when I got to each comma I had a sip of coffee, and with each full stop I stopped and had a quick walk round the block before continuing to read ;-)
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    BigMonka said:
    I don't really remember learning much grammar in English lessons at school, we certainly learnt more about grammatical construction in French lessons than we did in English.
    Absolutely !

Learnt a bit about verbs/adverbs and sentence construction, but the conjugation & tenses etc were all new when I started French - they all made sense of course once you knew what was what, but I felt cheated !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    Jalapeno said:
    BigMonka said:
    I don't really remember learning much grammar in English lessons at school, we certainly learnt more about grammatical construction in French lessons than we did in English.
    Absolutely !

Learnt a bit about verbs/adverbs and sentence construction, but the conjugation & tenses etc were all new when I started French - they all made sense of course once you knew what was what, but I felt cheated !

same. I would say any knowledge of grammar etc. comes from reading, certainly not anything that was formerly taught. I have no idea what things like past participles or whatever are, though I probably use them all the time.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    VimFuego said:

I would say any knowledge of grammar etc. comes from reading, certainly not anything that was formerly taught.
    Yeah, formerly they used to teach all sorts of crap, like that the earth is flat and the centre of the universe....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    Is this chap one of you lot?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39459831
    Beat you to it Rocker.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo