What's a decent petrol strimmer ?

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24426
...that's under £120 ?

Anyone have experience of these things ?

Ta bigly.
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
I'm personally responsible for all global warming
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Get a lithium battery powered one - cheaper and lighter.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Get a fourstroke. Two stroke give you horrible earache. Even with ear defenders.

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24426
    Fretwired said:

What about the power ?  It's for my niece whose garden may well house a family of gorillas for all we know...  it's very overgrown.  Will a Li-Ion be up to the job ?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33834
    edited April 2017
    Emp_Fab said:
    Fretwired said:

What about the power ?  It's for my niece whose garden may well house a family of gorillas for all we know...  it's very overgrown.  Will a Li-Ion be up to the job ?
    In my opinion, no.
    I have a cordless strimmer that I use for cleaning up the edges of a lawn and it does a decent job but it isn't up to heavy duty work- for that you really need a brush cutter/strimmer and I think petrol ones are best for that.

Get a nice powerful petrol strimmer- I'd spend around £150-200, something like a Mitox 435L.

• BudgieBudgie Frets: 2108
    If you have lots of work to do with it then a second hand Stihl is as good as it gets for the money. Stihl tools last forever... well, mine have anyway and they've done a huge amount of work. If it's just occassional use around the house any would do I guess. I borrowed a Shindaiwa strimmer from a mate and that was pretty good as you can fit different attachments for different jobs.
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2108
    ... or you could just hire one if it's a one off job
    edited April 2017
    Emp_Fab said:
    Fretwired said:

If it's overgrown it should be a one-off job. Hire a pro strimmer which will eat through it in no time - you'll then only need to maintain the garden. A pro unit would cost about £500 to buy and £20+ to rent for a day.

Actually, I might go down the road of hiring someone to clear the garden, and then get her a petrol mower for her to maintain it.  It's a bit pointless buying a strimmer that is only really good for initially clearing but not ongoing upkeep.

I've just measured her garden on Google Maps.  It's 100ft x 30ft.  Any know what that might cost me to clear ?  I'll ring around for quotes later, but I'm in work at the mo !
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15614

buy a scythe. Even if you only use it once, you'll still own a scythe. Everyone should own a scythe.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    Can I go around saying "You haff sunk my bettelship !" ?

Film reference anyone ? :-)
    Emp_Fab said:
    Actually, I might go down the road of hiring someone to clear the garden, and then get her a petrol mower for her to maintain it.  It's a bit pointless buying a strimmer that is only really good for initially clearing but not ongoing upkeep.

I've just measured her garden on Google Maps.  It's 100ft x 30ft.  Any know what that might cost me to clear ?  I'll ring around for quotes later, but I'm in work at the mo !
    Around £200 where I live.

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    You might hire a beast of a petrol slasher and get the jungle managable. Then buy a battery/plastic one will keep it that way and it will be light/low noise/manageable for the operator.

A decent petrol rotary mower will do quite a lot of area and even clean up after itself with a grass box. Use a strimmer for just the edges, under shrubs, around posts/trees etc. Swinging a petrol stimmer for a long time if you're not used to it will make your arms ache, pushing a mower less so. Again hire a beast of a mower for a one off.

Fretwired said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Holy Brambles Batman !!  I'm not paying that.  I'll hire a.... hang on... I've just remembered.. (you're not going to believe me, but it's true !)....  I've just remembered I already have a petrol brushcutter in my greenhouse.

Jesus....  senile at 52. :confounded: 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Emp_Fab said:
    Fretwired said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Holy Brambles Batman !!  I'm not paying that.  I'll hire a.... hang on... I've just remembered.. (you're not going to believe me, but it's true !)....  I've just remembered I already have a petrol brushcutter in my greenhouse.

:-)

Invite people to a BBQ with some free beer .. they just have to clear the garden first .. :-)

• BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    Emp_Fab said:

Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28657
    Emp_Fab said:

Dude, you were senile a long time ago.

;)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Babones said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey
    Wiz awarded :-)
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Emp_Fab said:
    Fretwired said:
    Emp_Fab said:

You need a kick in the bollocks for that!
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Got myself a cheap s/h Stihl one (proper harness thing), returned he carb and jobs a goodun.   Though do be careful It will easily take chunks out of wooden fence posts, swings, even tore it's way through some reasonably tough wire fencing (not as thin as chicken wire).  So if not for clearing larger areas and just edging etc be careful whether you want best or not...  If it's for edgings etc mostly then you want the cutting head with the plastic places not the one with strimmer string :)