School me on Gibraltar

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4993
TBH I had forgotten it even exists. Strange that the UK prime minister forgot to mention it in her Article 50 letter. So feel free to teach me all about what I always thought was a rock...
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33838
    They make some of the most cost effective drum hardware on the market.
    DW bought them a few years ago.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    May didn't need to mention them ... the EU has actually pulled a fast one on Spain .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

One of the best telescope mounts on the market!  Always fancied one for myself.

https://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/astronomy-mounts-and-tripods/alt-azimuth-mounts/tele-vue-gibraltar-hd4-mount

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    3rd best rock after "Brighton" and "Let There Be".
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

It's the bridge.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    The best thing I done
    Was to make you the one
    Who I'd walk with down to the altar

You'd stand by me 
    And together we'd be
    That great, steady Rock of Gibralta
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Must be pretty annoying for the Spanish. It'd be like Germany owning Bournemouth.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15619
    edited April 2017
    jellyroll said:
    Must be pretty annoying for the Spanish. It'd be like Germany owning Bournemouth.

mebbe, assuming something like 90% of the population of bournemouth wanted to be governed by Germany.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    jellyroll said:
    Or Spain owning bits of Morocco.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    jellyroll said:
    They'd sort out the traffic problem at least.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:
    jellyroll said:
    They'd sort out the traffic problem at least.

Autobahn-mouth?
    7reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    Empire 2 strikes back -
    We're soooo stuck in the past -
    yawn
    AliGorie said:
    Empire 2 strikes back -
    yawn

?

AliGorie said:
    Empire 2 strikes back -
    yawn

Agree with the sentiment but not sure Gibraltar is an Empire 2.0 question is it? We have an irrefutable mandate to the place so as long as the resident are happy to stay Britsh, what's the Empire issue?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72616
    jellyroll said:

Agree with the sentiment but not sure Gibraltar is an Empire 2.0 question is it? We have an irrefutable mandate to the place so as long as the resident are happy to stay Britsh, what's the Empire issue?
    I don't recall the six and a half million inhabitants of Hong Kong being given that option.

And we did own Hong Kong Island and Kowloon outright, by treaty just as with Gibraltar - it was only the New Territories that were leased.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    jellyroll said:

I don't recall the six and a half million inhabitants of Hong Kong being given that option.

And we did own Hong Kong Island and Kowloon outright, by treaty just as with Gibraltar - it was only the New Territories that were leased.

they (the HK pop) didn't get that choice, tho IMO they clearly should've. Hopefully we've learnt from that injustice and don't repeat it in Gib.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    ICBM said:
    jellyroll said:

The Chinese would have taken it by force and there would have been bugger all we could have done about it.

I'd have more respect for the Spanish if they gave up their land in north African. Small chance. A bunch of hypocrites.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14370
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    jellyroll said:

I've not looked into how we acquired Gibraltar so will do so later - But I'll make a good guess as to how - Honk Kong we effectively acquired it not as a gift, but as a form of negotiation, under our terms, following the Opium wars with China and a case of we had a superior Navy and guns

I guess for many years, certainly around the days of Nelson, that Gibraltar was an important naval port and as such of great strategic  importance - I'm not so sure we could justify that today - Yes we transplanted a few Brits there and they fly the UJ flag - But I find it hard to justify it as ours - what if Spain owned the Isle of White - Or indeed many of the fishing rights around Cornwall !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    A great way to invoke the British Bulldog spirit.*

From pisshead English football fans, who then rant incoherently about two world wars, before punching you and going for a kebab.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2017
    ICBM said:
    jellyroll said:

I've not looked into how we acquired Gibraltar so will do so later - But I'll make a good guess as to how - Honk Kong we effectively acquired it not as a gift, but as a form of negotiation, under our terms, following the Opium wars with China and a case of we had a superior Navy and guns

I guess for many years, certainly around the days of Nelson, that Gibraltar was an important naval port and as such of great strategic  importance - I'm not so sure we could justify that today - Yes we transplanted a few Brits there and they fly the UJ flag - But I find it hard to justify it as ours - what if Spain owned the Isle of White - Or indeed many of the fishing rights around Cornwall !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so which of the population of gib will you be forcibly removing?

EDIT: surely the only peoples opinions that matter in this are those who live there. How it came iinto UK "ownership" is irrelevent, it was a long time ago and no one alive now was born then. It's the here and now that is important. People are more important than politics.