Car dealership complaints - advice please!

What's Hot
Was wondering if anyone has any advice on making a complaint to car dealership/manufacturers.

Last Tuesday I received a brand new Mercedes A180 as a company car - it's leased to my employer and they've issued it to me. On the Saturday morning (4 days, 300 miles old) it came up with a brake fluid levels warning whilst driving, I continued to my girlfriend's house and parked up. Went to drive it again in the evening to find that the foot-brake had completely failed; the pedal just pushed straight to the floor without anything happening. Luckily the parking brake was on and holding, and I was able to determine this before actually getting out onto the road. I left it parked up and on Sunday morning I had Merc Assist call out RAC to recover it to the Merc repair centre. They've called me today to explain that the brake fluid hose was not properly connected to the brakes, and so whenever I had pressed the brake pedal, it leaked a load of the fluid until there was none left.

Understandably, I am utterly furious that a four-day old vehicle would have such a serious, dangerous fault. I drive long motorway distances every Mon-Fri for work, and if the brakes had given out whilst I was doing 70 on the M25 then I dread to think what could have happened. How can I go about expressing this to their management in a reasonable way, whilst making it clear that I expect some sort of recompense from them for the extreme personal danger that their manufacturing fault has put me in? What should I be asking for/expecting from them?

Thanks!
1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    I would go straight to the manager of the garage that delivered it, that should have been noticed on the pre delivery inspection. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1303
    Go to Mercedes UK.

There might be other cases of this q.c failure.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    sinbaadi said:
    Go to Mercedes UK.

This for a number of reasons.

https://www.complaintsdepartment.co.uk/mercedes-benz-uk/

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27007
    sinbaadi said:
    Go to Mercedes UK.

Yup, this. Never mind the dealership, it shouldn't have left the factory like that.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thirded for straight to merc. 

To be honest, I'm not seeing what your employer could do other than complain as well. But that needs to go to merc for sure, it should never have left the factory like that and they need to know it has happened.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12370
    Bit of a legal minefield here. I doubt you'd be entitled to compensation as you're not strictly the owner? Can you base a compensation case on what might have happened anyway?

I would think about rejecting the vehicle though as not fit for purpose. I would also want answers about how it got through both the factory QC and the branch PDI? Who knows what else has been missed. 
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    Branch pdi will be check levels, road test and put plates on.

Its a 30 minute job maximum.

While not ideal I doubt the manufacturer will be very forthcoming with any sort of compensation.

Im not sure why you would carry on when you had just received a warning on your dash about an issue with your brakes, you would be expected to stop and phone for assistance at that point.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16099
    whilst you may have a very minor claim for inconvenience as the driver and not the owner you do not have any claim beyond that.
     To seek damages you have to derive and prove Quantum and demonstrate where applicable that you sought to mitigate loss.
    You have not suffered Damages as a result of a negligence beyond some inconvenience and hubris.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    To Merc UK.

Mum had an issue with the brakes (hydraulic pump) on her Merc (with  over 100K on it). She got all the repairs done under warranty.

Let the supplying dealer know as well. They need to know of any issues.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    one of the two no three groups of ppl you least ever want to deal with associate with, befriend...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Branch pdi will be check levels, road test and put plates on.

Its a 30 minute job maximum.

While not ideal I doubt the manufacturer will be very forthcoming with any sort of compensation.

Im not sure why you would carry on when you had just received a warning on your dash about an issue with your brakes, you would be expected to stop and phone for assistance at that point.
    If it'd been road tested wouldn't the dealer have noticed the brake fluid dripping out from under the car afterwards? Makes me think it either wasn't PDI'd in the first place or they did a rush job. 
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    @boogieman you're assuming it's leaking, it could of been a component failure while driving.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12370
    DanR said:
    @boogieman you're assuming it's leaking, it could of been a component failure while driving.
    Yeah I guess it could be, I was going by the first post where it says a brake hose wasn't attached properly. 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    It happens; it's a man made item... speak to the Dealer, and give them chance to rectify it.